Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - wanted to say hi and give some background:) I'm new (or about to be new) to the Odyssey, as I'm looking for a replacement for my 01 Grand Caravan, which unceremoniously threw a rod a couple months ago. I don't feel it's worth fixing it so I've been debating the Sienna and Ody snd the Honda looks like both a better fit to what I like and is somewhat easier to find here in upstate NY.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 04 EX (possibly an EX-L, I'm not sure what distinguises one from the other). It's a dark gunmetal gray, light gray heated leather, power everything, CD, but without DVD or nav. 98k miles, one owner, all records, all maintenance documented including recent timing belt and associated parts. Asking price seems a bit low honestly at $7125 but apart from a paint blemish on the rear bumper, scratch on the right passenger sliding door, and the left rear vent window not opening, there appears to be zero issues with it. It drives great and I'm very happy with it overall.

I'm an aerospace tech by trade, and I've worked on cars for the last 15 years - maintenance, repair, engine swaps, performance customization, mobile audio/video, interior customs, and mobile electronics. Looking forward to learning about this van as well:)

One side note I'd like to ask - I am aware from this board that the 5sp auto in the 02-05 has documented issues. I did notice a faintly perceptible whine in sync with RPM in first gear on this Ody when pulling away. It's the only one I've driven so I don't have anything to compare it to - is that something that is common to these cars or am I looking at a looming trans failure?

TIA for any advice/insight and I look forward to contributing here!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
ITD, I've never heard of a 1st gear issue with these cars. Is that the only gear in which the whine is perceptible?

I'm not sure what VIN cuts in the internal oiling improvements for those trannies, but that might be something to search for on this forum.

OF

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't aware there is a VIN split around upgrades to the trans, but I'll search it out and see what I can find. I only heard it in first but that could also be due to normal road and traffic noise. I felt no shifting issues - it seemed to change gears smoothly and transparently, and reverse to firs. Shifting took only about a second or so. It held nicely on uphills and downhills as well. Other than that initial whine in first I noticed absolutely no issues with it, but it was definitely a mechanical whine.

I'll check on the VIN split for sure - thank you:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
TRANNY

Welcome aboard! I just want to say my '05 Touring has 111,000 miles, and the tranny still works exactly like brand new. I've never noticed any noise in any gear. It's never had any major mechanical issues. I use synthetic oil and still change it often, and I also have the tranny FLUSHED every 30K - 45K or so, which I think is very important. The '05 had a lot of "bulletins" and recalls over time, to upgrade the brake master cylinder, an engine mount, and at least a dozen other items. They just recalled it to replace the rear hatch gas rods last year near 100,000 miles, though I had had no problem with them. It's never used a drop of oil, and even the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are still original. Every vehicle can be different of course. My '03 MDX hasn't been as reliable as my '05 ODY.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts