Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i've been surfing google for a while to find an answer to a question i have about my buddy's 03 ody.

he had a problem with the key sticking and not being able to turn correctly. i got him a new ignition lock/and switch from work (i work for o'reillys)
and we installed it per internet instructions and just plain common sense ( we disconnected the battery cable prior to doing anything, etc)

after installing all the plugs and bolting it all together, and putting in the radio code, we tried to start the van but it stalled out after a few seconds of running. we tried to crank it again, but it wouldn't fire again until after having the key off for a while.

the new keys and switch assembly came with a barcode tag with some numbers.

what did we miss when installing this? what other step in this whole procedure did we have to do? if we try to re-key the the new lock to the old key, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a new set of keys and lock.

PLEASE HELP!!! I AM RACKING MY BRAINS TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a "learning mode" that can be activated? i know some oldmobiles, cadillacs and some other GM cars have that ability, but im not too keen on the anti-theft stuff on these newer hondas...

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The immobilizer needs to be programed to the new keys. Did the instructions tell you how to do that? Is the immobilizer light on the dash acting as it should by the operator manual? Try taping one of the origonal keys close to the ignition seitch ot to one of the new switches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not too sure. there is a green key light on the instrument cluster that lights up and flashes but my buddy says it's normal. he lost his owner's manual.

i tried holding the switch with the original key right next to it, but it still did the same thing. im almost thinking that i might have to put in the old switch so it can be driven. in the mean time, i will still need to know what exactly has to be done so it won't have to be re-keyed

·
Registered
157 Posts
or have the new key programmed with the old key's code. 20-30 bucks normally outside of dealer and includes new key too.
CK

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Look around online to see how the immobilizer works. Places like remote starter sites often have good info. I know when I installed a remote start I needed to add a bypass kit and part of the installation process included the box reading the code the key put off. BTW, the green key light goes off if all is working properly. I searched "honda bypass" to find this one: http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/556HW.pdf

·
Registered
53 Posts
Most any locksmith worth their salt can EASILY program that key to the van. They will typically come to you, plug their computer into the van, tell the van's computer to add that key, and it's good to go.

Just open up the yellow pages and make a few phone calls. Locksmiths do this day in, day out, and they can typically do it for a very reasonable fee.

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts