Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
What do you mean by custom? Are you talking about a HID conversion? If so, please check out this link: So You're Thinking of Converting to HIDs

If your lights are cloudy, get a 3M polishing kit (around $20) and spend a couple of hours cleaning them up. It makes a huge difference in how the vehicle looks from the front, not to mention being able to see better at night.

I don't know of too many places making custom parts for minivans, the market demand really isn't there.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
J-Spec, did you do this to a Gen 2? There's quite a number of people who'd like to see some pics (including me). I'm planning on fitting a true-bixenon projector to one of our Gen 2 Odys using a D2S bulb.

I know powerg up in Canada has done this, but I haven't been able to get in contact with him yet for some pics of his Gen 2 true-HID project. He used real TRS HID projectors for a full-size bixenon setup. It's definitely pricey going that route, but there is no question that it is proper and legal.

OF

·
Registered
35 Posts
im sorry odyfamily but i forgot to mention that i didnt do a projector retro. im not skilled enough for that. all i did was just a simple black headlight with a clear diffuser. i believe thats what the OP is asking about. i could be wrong thou.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Thanks for the reply, j-spec. I found that powerg did use an FX-R projector, and I think the big deal is being able to fit the headlight assembly into the oven to "bake it apart". Personally, I think it'd be something you and the rest of the clubbers could do...it just takes time (which most of us don't have) and a bit of money for the parts to maker it happen.

There aren't a lot of true HID retrofits out there that have been done to our Gen 2 Odys. I'm just getting old, and so is my night vision, and feel this might help me driving at night.

In any event, please post pics! I'm curious as well to see what the black headlights with clear diffuser look like. It might be something I might do should I ever get the gumption to attept the HID modification.

OF

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry for the late response, long rant and pic heavy. I ultimately hope this helps someone that should stumble on this thread as this forum has greatly helped me. Just trying to return the favor.

When the trend of retrofitting projectors first started, I was soo down to get this done to my previous car [TL] because I wanted that color shift/flicker at the cutoff even if I had to send them out to a shop. but at the same time the prices were so high that I thought if I waited for a while, they would eventually drop but didnt. Even thou the prices didnt drop while I waited, my interests did. I gradually didnt like the look of a round component in a square/rectangle frame. So, Im back to the lame played out JDM black headlight look.

First I tried something different. I wanted that JDM black chrome look, black in sun, chromeish in shade. I sported that look for about a month then got tired of it. While I was taking off the paint, I went too deep and came upon white under the stock chrome finish. I continued til I got the whole headlight white by wet sanding with 2000 grit. I thought about running this white headlight to be unique. but I didnt wanna take my headlight apart yet a 3rd time if I should end up not liking the white in the future. So in the end, I went with semi gloss black. I may in the future get a spare set of headlights and do the white option. I personally think the white option will look dope on a white ody. I also wanted a clear reflector in the corner so it doesnt have the hollow or see thru spot but could not find any anywhere. So I had to use the clear diffuser thats basically a sheet of the cover for florescent ceiling lights. but anyways, on to the pics.
all pics are taken with my EVO, sorry for the quality.

making clear turn reflector

black chrome

sun = black

shade = chromeish

white option

eBay set... I think I duplicated this pretty well and saved a few hundred in the process.

my final product

along with black chrome emblem

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
That last pic looks really good. If I ever get the gumption to do the HID mod, that is what I will attempt as well.

j-spec, thanks for the top-quality post and pics. Great looking results!

OF

·
Registered
355 Posts
I really like the white look! I may have to try that to see how it looks with a silver body. I've got candy purple on my other car, Scion xB. It's nice to have a unique color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you please show how you disassembled the headlight? I have a lot of condensation in the driver's side and would like to dry it out and seal it. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
odyfamily - thanks for the compliments :)

Greg Stoddard - do it. you may be the first with a silver body to rock white headlights. def a plus to be unique with this mod.

drgolder - how much condensation do you have? is it ponding in there? if not, i would just recommend to put them in an oven for 5 minutes at 250*-300* no pre-heat necessary. Wait for a bit and see if the condensation evaporates while inspecting. The headlights will absorb a lot of heat in the first 5 min cycle. Then after that, reheat and check on them every 1 min. But if it leaves water spots then thats a dif story, you'd have to take the lens off. also use gloves while doing this. cotton rubber coated is fine.

if you need to remove the lens, do the above process along with using a flat head screwdriver and slowly pry open the lens. do not only work on one side and expect it to work, itll prob crack. work on one side to loosen, then move to another, then to another, then back to the first. if its still not hot enough, insert headlights back in the oven for a few more mins. remember if you're not sure, its always better to work with "5" 2 min bake sessions then "1" 10 min bake session.

ex-r - lol, I had to search high and low for this damn van in black. finally found one in kentucky but had to settle for the 03 with tranny recall. wanted the 04 after the tranny recall. im surprised that you can see the antenna in the pics! but yea, right now it looks like an RC car. once I get my iva-w200 installed, that antenna is history. and yep, i still see the headlights on ebay. "honda odyssey black headlights"

aww shii... antenna reflection on the hood! haha

·
Registered
35 Posts
ex-r - what part of Oahu do you live? I have never seen it on the streets or anywhere for that matter. only in pics at the windward mall from a revision audio cruise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
ex-r - what part of Oahu do you live? I have never seen it on the streets or anywhere for that matter. only in pics at the windward mall from a revision audio cruise.
LOL. yeah.... I hardly ever drive it. It just sits in my garage. I do bring it out when I ride with my friends in Ewa (Asing park). :) I hope to see yours on the road. I just saw the silver one with the same kit as mine the other day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts