Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:
We are in the market for a new to us ody. We have been looking at 2007 or 2008 EX-L with RES.

We have found one that is a 2008 EXL black in color, but has aftermarket DVD (has remote and 2 headphones). It has 27000 miles on the clock and the carfax has come back clean (one owner) other than being a lease. The asking price is 22,900.

What do you guys think? everything I have read and studied shows that the price is very competitive.

Is the aftermarket DVD a knock on the price? Should I ask Less because of it?
Wife really likes it, and we are thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

Is there anything specifically I should be looking for? Never owned an Odyssey before (had an accord about 14 years ago).

Thanks
Galen

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have 140k on wife's 2005 Ody, and has been her all time favorite car. Have had Caddys ,Lincolns, and my car is a BMW. Wife prefers the Ody to all them. Kids don't care if DVD is built in.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well it's not worth as much as a true EX-L RES, but the price still doesn't seem bad. We just sold ours a couple weeks ago, '05 EX-L RES and NAV with 90k miles for $15.5k. Prices on vehicles are strong right now...so that doesn't seem bad to me at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Skinny2 is right... The used vehicle industry is lacking inventory across the country. I have been watching this for the last 6 months. The price sounds very reasonable for those miles. If your ready to buy, sounds like you have a winner there... Especially if you like the van. The only real concern with an aftermarket RES is the brand and the quality. You can always replace it with a better one if it does break.... This is more expensive if you had to replace a factory unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
for comparison:

Purchased (March 2011) a 2008 Odyssey EX-L w/ RES (no NAV) from Hondda dealership
25,100 miles
Certified Pre-Owned
Clean Carfax (it was a lease from the same dealer we purchased it from)
Slate Green, Gray Interior

Dealer asking price: $24,878
Price paid: $23,900
Out the door: $25,704.88

hope this helps...and best of luck in your search....

mm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, Here is our update!

We were on our way out of town to go inspect and possibly purchase the black ody. Called and it was already sold. Called the dealer who had the backup ody to look at and it was also sold. Our hopes were dwindling.

Wife suggested we call the local salesman we had talked to a couple of weeks prior. He had just taken in a 08 green EX-L RES NAV with 37k.

We went to look at it and would up purchasing the unit. They were asking 27,000 and we got it for just over 24,000. It will be certified and they are detailing it now and we will pick it up Tuesday. We are very happy with the purchase and can't wait to pick it up.

Will be reading a lot on here trying to glean as much knowledge about the Odysseys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congratulations in advance for the new addition to your family, the one that will occupy your garage/driveway/side street. Have you checked the vehicle thoroughly to your satisfaction? Don't rely too much on Carfax. Some accidents don't get reported to Carfax mostly through runarounds by the previous owner. Since you mentioned you'll be getting a CPO, then you can somewhat heave a sigh of relief since Honda will be backing its own guarantee should the powertrain quit on you. But nothing's definite just so you know.

Anyway, you'll be fine. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ours is a '06 EXL-RES and I can't even remember when the last time we played a dvd in. Seemed good at the time to buy it but, to be honest when driving around town 99% of the time, who wants to watch a few minutes of a movie.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wife suggested we call the local salesman we had talked to a couple of weeks prior. He had just taken in a 08 green EX-L RES NAV with 37k.

We went to look at it and would up purchasing the unit. They were asking 27,000 and we got it for just over 24,000. It will be certified and they are detailing it now and we will pick it up Tuesday. We are very happy with the purchase and can't wait to pick it up.

Will be reading a lot on here trying to glean as much knowledge about the Odysseys.
Congrats Galen ! :)

I'm in process of securing an '09 EX-L (w/o RES nor NAV) after viewing it yesterday. If the stars line up this weekend (ie: dealer accepts our offer), it'll be ours. I don't have much wiggle room on the negotiations since the mileage is very low and it was bought at the same dealer (and came back as a trade), so if they can knock off even $500-750 from asking price I'll take it.

So here's hoping we both have our new rides next week :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
So when do you find out Ken?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts