Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 EX-L
5,071 Posts
Hello peeps, so glad to be here with you guys, would like to find some useful information for my 08 Odyssey.
Welcome to this forum. You will find lots of useful info here and good advice for any specific issues or questions you might have. I recommend you create a signature here and included your Odyssey trim level (EX, LX, EX-L or Touring) along with the current mileage. Also read the stickies at the very top of the forum. Especially the ones on timing belt and VCM.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Hello! I am also new here. I have a 2010 Touring, and I truly love this van!! I don’t want to hijack your new thread, but as another new member I didn’t want to make a separate thread for a similar sentiment.

There are two threads here that immediately caught my attention: about the VCM muzzler and the importance of the timing belt Change…

I’m at 136k without the timing belt being changed, I feel like I’m playing Russian roulette every time I need to do my somewhat routine 500mile trips. Hopefully I’ll get this timing belt changed soon.

but the VCM muzzler I haven’t heard anything about until this thread. I need to understand this issue more. I have had an issue a while back about cyl 3 misfiring which I think is a known issue for these engines. The dealership did some update to the ECU and changed the plugs- telling me that the plugs will need changed like every 10k or so…? I forget the details now.. not sure if this is related.

There are two things I would love to hear about:

1) has anyone had an issue with the VSA light coming on after letting the car idle for a few minutes? I can drive Day and night without it coming on, but as soon as I idle for several minutes (in park only?) the light comes on. It has never happened waiting at a red light, so somehow being in park seems to play it’s part. Why is this? I can just restart the engine and it clears, or ignore it and drive normally not noticing any difference in the drive.

2) has anyone found a way to hijack the navigation system to introduce a more modern capability? Or swap the whole screen/unit to access Apple car play, Waze, video capability, etc. while not interfering with the lower radio /RES control? I generally have the unit set to show an analog clock at all times and only utilize the backup camera from the screen. I’m always using Waze/Google maps on my phone. While the kids are using the RES (always). Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? Give the adults access to a big screen for nav up front and the kids still get radio/RES in the back?

I’m not big on forums, but I cannot find answers to these questions, I need you experts!
Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Welcome to this forum. You will find lots of useful info here and good advice for any specific issues or questions you might have. I recommend you create a signature here and included your Odyssey trim level (EX, LX, EX-L or Touring) along with the current mileage. Also read the stickies at the very top of the forum. Especially the ones on timing belt and VCM.
What do you mean by “create a signature here”?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Account Details > Account Settings > Signature
Most people will list all the Honda models they own, the year, and the trim. Some people include other details like the mileage, the color, which VCM defeat device they have, etc.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Account Details > Account Settings > Signature
Most people will list all the Honda models they own, the year, and the trim. Some people include other details like the mileage, the color, which VCM defeat device they have, etc.
Interesting… so the fact this VCM thing goes to that extent, it must be something I seriously need to look into.

I bought the van with 108k I think, and I’m at 136k now without having any real issues with the engine. It does make me wonder what all the fuss is about and if it’s really necessary and not just a fad amongst the enthusiasts.
Thanks! I’ll look into the signature thing.

·
Administrator
15,250 Posts
It does make me wonder what all the fuss is about and if it’s really necessary and not just a fad amongst the enthusiasts.
🤣

Welcome aboard. You will need to change the attitude a little bit over here. There are hundreds of folks on here who have suffered VCM woes. You just got here. You will find a handful of people who will say this is a fad/fuss but it is true. You only see it when this happens to you. SO. You can choose to treat this as a fad/fuss and pay the price later. It is a free country after all.

Another thing, SEARCH. I get that you re new on the forums but attempt to search. This generation is approaching 17 years since launch in 2005. There are dozens of threads on almost every subject you can think of (including the replacement of your NAV with a more modern one) and some are now so old, even the pictures are gone. It is a challenge to find information but it is all here.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
🤣

Welcome aboard. You will need to change the attitude a little bit over here. There are hundreds of folks on here who have suffered VCM woes. You just got here. You will find a handful of people who will say this is a fad/fuss but it is true. You only see it when this happens to you. SO. You can choose to treat this as a fad/fuss and pay the price later. It is a free country after all.

Another thing, SEARCH. I get that you re new on the forums but attempt to search. This generation is approaching 17 years since launch in 2005. There are dozens of threads on almost every subject you can think of (including the replacement of your NAV with a more modern one) and some are now so old, even the pictures are gone. It is a challenge to find information but it is all here.
Oh please don’t take me the wrong way! I know I’m new here and I don’t want to start with a bad first impression. I am here for the wisdom, experience and knowledge of this community.
I put in a replay just before y that I had a cyl 3 misfire and I wonder if it’s related to this VCM muzzler thing. Im thinking it is related, but yes I’ll have to do more research in the threads.

and yes I’ll have to research the nav swap topic too. Sometimes people know exactly the thread and are willing to reply with the link to expedite. I’ve been interested in the swap for some time, but only just started my research here in the forum. Honestly, not much to work with on YouTube, or at least what I have found.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Hello peeps, so glad to be here with you guys, would like to find some useful information for my 08 Odyssey.
Since I derailed your thread, let me try to swing back around… welcome! I’m new too (as I said previously). What kind of useful info are you looking for? Are you lacking an owners manual? Are there projects you plan to do that you’re seeking information about? Is the van new to you and you’re looking for common issues or concerns?

·
Registered
791 Posts
What do you mean by “create a signature here”?
Welcome

And thank you for figuring out how to create a "signature" with you van details.

Many ramble on for days w/o pertinent details.
It can be frustrating.
Having an accurate signature eliminates that dilemma.

Have you found / perused these?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hello peeps . . .
Hi. Welcome the the OdyClub.

. . . like to find some useful information for my 08 Odyssey.
Have you seen this noise?

ETA; Or this noise if applicable?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Also, to both OP's, these vans love fresh trans fluid.
Need fresh fluid.

Honda DW-1 or Valvoline Max Life.

Perform a drain and fill at least every 30k miles after you know it's all fresh, clean, sweet and tasty. :)

Some here do it every other oil change while there.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Welcome

And thank you for figuring out how to create a "signature" with you van details.

Many ramble on for days w/o pertinent details.
It can be frustrating.
Having an accurate signature eliminates that dilemma.

Have you found / perused these?

No, I haven’t. Thank you! I have looked into some TSBs in the past. I had cyl 3 misfire which I think turned my attention to TSBs… now I think that was/is related to the VCM stuff.

but I’ll be interested in reading into the slow power window movement, and the slow steering wheel turning at slow speed, and one more. All minor issues I often forget exist.

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
Also, to both OP's, these vans love fresh trans fluid.
Need fresh fluid.

Honda DW-1 or Valvoline Max Life.

Perform a drain and fill at least every 30k miles after you know it's all fresh, clean, sweet and tasty. :)

Some here do it every other oil change while there.
I haven’t heard this, but again I’m new to the community. What do people report when not changing the fluid that frequently? What’s the possible consequence?

·
Registered
2010 Touring
15 Posts
A failed transmission.
Haha, okay… I figured it would be some less serious symptoms before that end result. I didn’t mean never changing it. I figure the community must have come up with 30k or every oil change because the Honda recommended changes must have proved infrequent enough by the evidence of certain symptoms.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ATF is cheap. A rebuilt transmission is thousands of dollars. 30k miles is a good round number which time has proven to be safe. Honda has an inconsistent record with transmission reliability although this gen seems ok. 30k is cheap insurance and only a recommendation. I do a D/F every year on all my cars.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Welcome to both of you. There are some neat features in our vans like controlling how the locks work when shifting in and out of park. Also I really like that you can open all the windows by holding the unlock button down, at least on the EXL.

As for the muzzler, I certainly recommend one. I bought my van at 190k a few years back not knowing about VCM. Pretty quickly I realized it was using oil between oil changes but didn't notice any blue smoke. I added a muzzler and after a couple months it no longer consumed oil. It's in the 220k + range now. I'd probably go with one of the newer electronic setups if I did it again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts