Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expect to see a new Honda/Acura automatic transmission fluid used in 2011 models called ATF DW-1.

Info from Acura TSB 10-020: 2011 RDX: TQI and New Model Information

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B10-020.PDF

New Automatic Transmission Fluid

A new automatic transmission fluid is used starting in
2011 models. ATF DW-1 is the new automatic
transmission fluid that helps improve low temperature
performance. Do not use any other transmission fluid
in 2011 models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honda finally admit their 20 year old ATF Z1 is outdated.

Luckily, I switched to synthetic ATF a few years ago, way better than the junk Z1 in cold winter.

I bet the new ATF is synthetic too, since it's better in cold wheater. Most auto manufactures are using synthetic ATF right now and Honda has to catch up the standard.

EE4Life said:
Expect to see a new Honda/Acura automatic transmission fluid used in 2011 models called ATF DW-1.

Info from Acura TSB 10-020: 2011 RDX: TQI and New Model Information

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B10-020.PDF

New Automatic Transmission Fluid

A new automatic transmission fluid is used starting in
2011 models. ATF DW-1 is the new automatic
transmission fluid that helps improve low temperature
performance. Do not use any other transmission fluid
in 2011 models.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
...just like 5w20 oil on our ody's when the cap had 5w30 on it
You read my mind on that one.

OF

·
Registered
516 Posts
or is it cause of the new 6-spd autos?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm about the drain and refill my Ody. Anyone used DW-1 on their non-2011 model? Also, I still have 1/2 qt of Z1. Can I mix?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Found this info from Honda on the Acura site:

"A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.

APPLICATION:
Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1."

Looks like DW-1 replaces Z1, period.

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found this info from Honda on the Acura site:

"A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.

APPLICATION:
Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1."

Looks like DW-1 replaces Z1, period.
Please post the Honda/Acura link where you found this info.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
557 Posts
I paid something like $7.49 for DW1. I considered internet sits for a better price. But when you add shipping, it's not that far from retail. For me, if I'm not going to save much (I know every dime counts), I rather not deal with shipping and any risk of damage, being lost, or stolen from my front door.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ATF- DW1 thoughts needed

I have a 2004 EX-L that had the tranny fix from the factory. It also has the tow package and therefore has the cooler. I have 110k miles on the transmission. The fluid was completely changed at 45,000 miles and I have had a 3-4 qt change twice since then. The current fluid looks good and pinkish red and has a new smell to it. I was going to do another 3-4 qt drain and fill before going on a 2000 mile vacaton this weekend.

Here is my concern, the fluid looks great now, should I complete the 1x drain and fill and theby mix new dw1 with old z1? I know Honda says they are compatible but I am little worried to fix it if it ain't broke. What would you do? I could do a full 3x drain and fill but why if the fluid still looks good. I just wish there was more info out there on mixing the two fluids. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2004 EX-L that had the tranny fix from the factory. It also has the tow package and therefore has the cooler. I have 110k miles on the transmission. The fluid was completely changed at 45,000 miles and I have had a 3-4 qt change twice since then. The current fluid looks good and pinkish red and has a new smell to it. I was going to do another 3-4 qt drain and fill before going on a 2000 mile vacaton this weekend.

Here is my concern, the fluid looks great now, should I complete the 1x drain and fill and theby mix new dw1 with old z1? I know Honda says they are compatible but I am little worried to fix it if it ain't broke. What would you do? I could do a full 3x drain and fill but why if the fluid still looks good. I just wish there was more info out there on mixing the two fluids. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
I just changed using simple drain & fill for my father-in -law's Acura TL. I used with both 1 qt of Z1 and 2 qt of DW1. It is okay. No problem at all. I can't back my statement with technical data. But I took Honda statement about mixing 2 fluids. It seems to be fine.

If you worry about mix two fluids, do the complete flush procedure that described in this forum.

Drain X3 still have little bit of old fluid mixed with new fluid.

I hope this help.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
When Honda released synthetic DW-1, I wanted its benefits now rather than waiting three or four drain and refiills (i.e. many miles of driving). I had no hesitation about mixing with the Z1. So I did 4 drain and refills. Now I have about 80% synthetic.

Since I was going synthetic anyway, I opted for Amsoil over DW-1. The reason is that Honda and others are going to low-viscosity ATF. My transmission wasn't designed for this, hence I went with Amsoil. They have a different low-viscosity synthetic ATF for new cars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts