Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New Honda owner: 2013 Odyssey

10K views 98 replies 16 participants last post by  93Bandit 
He had the oil changed every ~8,000 miles which is stretching it for me.
Yes and no - if those were road trip miles with cruise control on - that's a pretty reasonable OCI. At ~15k miles a year, that's about every 6-months, so also the oil never sat in there for long periods. I do 5k intervals just to make the accounting easy (lots of short trips). If you do shorter intervals, don't reset the Maintenance Minder or you will miss the 'larger' services that only get tripped with 10% remaining on the indicator.

-Charlie

What's unique about the Honda PS system that constant fluid changes will make a difference? I'll add this to the list, but I'm a bit skeptical.
The pumps are VERY sensitive to dirty fluid (similar to the transmission, sadly). They also take a special fluid that is not a domestic "Power Steering Fluid" or a more normal for imports Dexron ATF.

-Charlie

shudder around 20-30mph while accelerating under moderate throttle.
If you see the RPMs go up and down during that, new trans fluid is in order. If you feel more of a vibration/shake in the steering wheel, it is more likely axle or suspension related.

-Charlie

Reactions: WiiMaster
Also, I looked again and found the PCV. I was looking too low, at head instead of the valve cover. I should have replaced it while I had the cover off... Oh well.
PCV valves will nearly always be on the valve cover. The confusing part on the 4th gen Odyssey engine is that it is opposite of the hose (there is a passage across as part of the valve cover itself).

-Charlie