Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New Honda owner: 2013 Odyssey

10K views 98 replies 16 participants last post by  93Bandit 
Howdy all,

My wife and I recently purchased our first Honda vehicle. I've always owned GM/Ford/Chrysler products and am familiar with servicing them and their quirks. I'm new to the Honda world so I'm not that familiar with their quirks and features. I'm mechanically inclined so I plan to do most service myself when it makes sense.

We purchased an elderly owned 2013 Odyssey with 156k miles. They purchased it new and it appears to be well cared for. They just had the TB and all related parts replaced at their local Honda dealer in Sept of 2022 with 154k miles, so I'm glad that's already been taken care of.

After lurking around the forum, I read about the VCM induced issues so I ordered the VCMTunnerII and will install it once it arrives.

I asked if they ever had the valves adjusted and he doesn't think so, so that'll be one of the first things to check. It runs well and isn't making abnormal noise so I'm hoping the valve lash isn't too far out of spec. Also hoping once I get the valve covers off I'm greeted by clean internals. He had the oil changed every ~8,000 miles which is stretching it for me. I know modern synthetics are good, but I personally think oil should be changed more often. It's cheap insurance after all and I hope to get 300k miles out of this van.

To summarize, below is a list of service items I plan to do immediately. Please let me know if there's anything else I should check.

• Adjust valves
  • Oil/filter
  • trans drain/refill
  • install VCMTunnerII
  • Spark plugs
  • Spool valve leak fix
  • ???

Thanks
Welcome to the odyssey forum. 👍🏻 good choice switching to Odyssey no doubt about that you will reach 300k you mechanically inclined just keep an eye on it and follow the routine service. 154k service B add on your list
•Check master cylinder and VSA modulator for damage or leakage
•check boots and boots band for cracks/ tightness
•check coolant or flush and fill
•.check catalictic converter heat shield exhaust pipe and muffler
•check pad and disc for wear damage and crack
•inspect tie rod end, steering gearbox, steering linkage boots
•check serpentine belt,
•check ball joints control arm bushing
• check sliding door rubber bumper missing
•check cabin air and engine air filter
•lube all your grease fitting
•check power steering leaks
•check if you have trans filter (replace)
•check all your fluid level and inflate your tire to specs.