Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I've put about 1,000 miles on the Odyssey so far since we've owned it and I noticed the transmission shifts are firmer than what I'm used to in older 4spd GM products. My GM vehicles are old and high miles so not a fair comparison, but I noticed the up shifts and down shifts are quiet apparent. It's not slamming or bumping, but the shifts do seem somewhat firm, kind of like a dual clutch auto trans I suppose, or maybe similar to the shift feel when manually shifting an automatic. I'm not sure if this is normal on these vans or if I should do the 3x trans drain and fill procedure. The fluid is nice and red, does not smell burnt and it is at the appropriate level.

I've put about 1,000 miles on the Odyssey so far since we've owned it and I noticed the transmission shifts are firmer than what I'm used to in older 4spd GM products. My GM vehicles are old and high miles so not a fair comparison, but I noticed the up shifts and down shifts are quiet apparent. It's not slamming or bumping, but the shifts do seem somewhat firm, kind of like a dual clutch auto trans I suppose, or maybe similar to the shift feel when manually shifting an automatic. I'm not sure if this is normal on these vans or if I should do the 3x trans drain and fill procedure. The fluid is nice and red, does not smell burnt and it is at the appropriate level.
Honda automatics are almost automatic standard transmissions.
Give it a Google.

I noticed this with my '07 as well. The shifts are much firmer than on my Toyota. I researched this when I first bought mine and it seems like this is normal with Honda transmissions.

Honda ATs are a different animal compared to other ATs you may be used to.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
OK interesting. That's good to know. From what I could find online, it appears it basically is a manual transmission with hydraulic clutch controls. This being the case, it stands to reason it would behave similar to a manual transmission, as I described in my question. This will help me sleep tonight. I thought I was going to have to replace a valve body or something. Good to know, thanks gents!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I forgot to mention it did seem to have a bit of a shudder around 20-30mph while accelerating under moderate throttle. I've seen mention of this on the forum so I will see if it self corrects after changing the fluid once. If it doesn't, I'll do the fluid changed 2 more times.

shudder around 20-30mph while accelerating under moderate throttle.
If you see the RPMs go up and down during that, new trans fluid is in order. If you feel more of a vibration/shake in the steering wheel, it is more likely axle or suspension related.

-Charlie

Reactions: WiiMaster
I forgot to mention it did seem to have a bit of a shudder around 20-30mph while accelerating under moderate throttle. I've seen mention of this on the forum so I will see if it self corrects after changing the fluid once. If it doesn't, I'll do the fluid changed 2 more times.
What trim level is your Odyssey? The Touring and Touring Elite have the 6 speed transmission which had a TSB for judder caused by premature fluid breakdown. The fix calls for a 3x drain and fill of the ATF and a software update.

For the 5 speed, probably just time for new fluid.

I changed the trans fluid today. It was quite dark. Probably hasn't been changed in a long time. I'll probably change it again when I change engine oil next.
Good idea to let the old fluid mix with the new for a little bit and then change it again in a few thousand miles.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Drove the van to church this morning. Still has a slight vibration/shudder around 30mph when accelerating. Seems to only occur once it's warm. The 1x fluid change didn't make a difference so I'll definitely change the fluid 2 more times but probably before my next oil change.

I normally stray away from additives, especially in oils, but I've seen several mentions of Lube Guard red I think? Is that what most here recommend? If so, how much do you add to the trans fluid? There are several container sizes available and I'm unsure which to use.

but I've seen several mentions of Lube Guard red I think? Is that what most here recommend?
Yes.

IIRC, you add an ounce for every quart of transmission fluid, but check the bottle, it should say.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Check the owner's manual.
The owners manual doesn't state full capacity. It only lists the fluid change capacity, 3.3qts.

I did the 2nd and 3rd trans drain/fill today. Unfortunately it did not resolve the shudder I'm feeling around 30mph. At first I thought the shudder was only present in 3rd gear under moderate acceleration, but today I paid better attention and noticed it's present in 2nd-4th gears under moderate acceleration. Can't tell if it does it in 5th because by the time I give it enough throttle to accelerate hard enough it down shifts. Doesn't seem to do it in 1st either. I'm wondering if I should change the fluid again at the next oil change (2k miles away) and add lubegard red, or is this something else? Motor mounts perhaps?

It's certainly possible it's something else, motor mounts, or axles. Tire balance, even.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
The vibration seems to only be present under load at lower speeds. It goes away when you let off the throttle, tire vibration wouldn't do that. I wonder if I should put some lubegard in it?

I think LubeGuard would not hurt, would not be a bad idea to add some and see if it helps.

Based on what you're saying, I do suspect it is something else giving you this problem. I chased a similar issue when I first bought mine... I first had a wheel balancing and rotation done, then replaced one axle, then the other axle, then replaced the center axle carrier bearing. Each time the vibration got better. It is still kind of there; I need to change the motor mounts.

Reactions: WiiMaster
With my 2014 6-spd I have noticed when using honda oem DW-1 transm fluid (not synthetic) that the shifts are very smooth and well dampened. I have read here that Maxlife (synthetic) will give much firmer more abrupt shifts. I always add lubeguard red additive at changes. I drain&fill transm fluid every other oil change.

DanaH

21 - 40 of 99 Posts