Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New Honda owner: 2013 Odyssey

10K views 98 replies 16 participants last post by  93Bandit 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy all,

My wife and I recently purchased our first Honda vehicle. I've always owned GM/Ford/Chrysler products and am familiar with servicing them and their quirks. I'm new to the Honda world so I'm not that familiar with their quirks and features. I'm mechanically inclined so I plan to do most service myself when it makes sense.

We purchased an elderly owned 2013 Odyssey with 156k miles. They purchased it new and it appears to be well cared for. They just had the TB and all related parts replaced at their local Honda dealer in Sept of 2022 with 154k miles, so I'm glad that's already been taken care of.

After lurking around the forum, I read about the VCM induced issues so I ordered the VCMTunnerII and will install it once it arrives.

I asked if they ever had the valves adjusted and he doesn't think so, so that'll be one of the first things to check. It runs well and isn't making abnormal noise so I'm hoping the valve lash isn't too far out of spec. Also hoping once I get the valve covers off I'm greeted by clean internals. He had the oil changed every ~8,000 miles which is stretching it for me. I know modern synthetics are good, but I personally think oil should be changed more often. It's cheap insurance after all and I hope to get 300k miles out of this van.

To summarize, below is a list of service items I plan to do immediately. Please let me know if there's anything else I should check.

• Adjust valves
  • Oil/filter
  • trans drain/refill
  • install VCMTunnerII
  • Spark plugs
  • Spool valve leak fix
  • ???

Thanks

See less See more
#96 ·
We've put nearly 1,000 miles on the van with Lubeguard in the trans. Shudder hasn't improved at all. It made zero difference. I haven't made it in to the dealer yet for the TCM update, but I'm doubtful that'll improve the situation any. I still plan to have it updated though.

I guess I'll just have to live with it, and hope it doesn't get worse? As a last ditch effort, I think I'll switch over to Valvoline maxlife once the case of Honda fluid is used up. Will it make a difference? I doubt it but worth a shot.

#99 ·
Update for those who care...

The local parts store aftermarket spool valve gasket is still holding approximately 1yr/15k miles later. So far so good.

Still have the slight judder when accelerating, I will continue fluid changes with lubegard.

Lastly, I also has a slight vibration while cruising, I inspected the lower control arm rear bushings. They're shot, so I think replacing those will resolve the highway vibration as I've seen in other posts.

Otherwise, no issues and we've been happy with the van!