Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched the threads but need more information. Van Has 148000 miles. No probs with shifting only a slight whining. Getting ready to replace the trans filter and flush and put on a cooler. Can I use an amzoil synthetic fluid or should I just use the new honda stuff. Dont know if I am tempting fate. Will the other synthetics harm my trans. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was having the same concern as you.... i have a 99 with 190k on the original trans while faithfully using Z1. The argument to stay with Z1 made sense but now that we have to switch I went ahead and chose Amsoil. Only about 200 miles on that now but it is shifting smoother than before. I am still cautious and have jotted down nearby shops for a Jasper Remanufactured Tranny should I need it. I have visions in my head of the better fluid freeing things up and the bearing shattering.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cfluke. Thanks for the reply. My ody has treated us great. No problems thus far. I do hear that whineing presumably from the trans. Local trans shop that will be doing the work is an amzoil dealer and suggested the synthetic. If I change to the amzoil it might be a risk. I hear it will stiffen up shift points. Just do not want to make things worse. I too have been searching gator and jasper trans. Even if and when it fails, this is still a great van. Ill replace the trans and keep going. We thought about trading or selling the van to get another but will instead probably keep the van for the obvious reasons that families have vans and get a new Passat TDI just to put miles on. Wife really can not live without her van. Did you have any trouble before you switched and why did you switch. Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did four DW-1 ATF drain & fills starting at 148K miles on my 04 Odyssey, plus I replaced the ATF filter for the first time. The shifts were noticeably smoother with the first D/F and filter replacement. 3.5K miles later, tranny still operates good.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If Honda couldn't do it right the first time with the right fluid why should we trust them a second time. Amsoil for life, not one of my auto products has failed under the cat of amsoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.