Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been lurking here for a while, and decided to chime in, cuz I could use some help.

I'm interested in doing the Navi mod so I can watch DVDs and such, but I thought it might be nice to play mp3s as well. This brought me to the idea that I could just use a computer instead of a DVD player. I figure I wouldn't need the converter from composite to rgb, since the computer uses rgb signals anyway. I might even be able to use the touchscreen to provide input (or at least tie into the little joystick)

Here are some details of my plan:
1. Use the 4PDT switch or relay to switch between navi and the computer.
2. Use the HONDA 1993-2000+ MP3 AUX INPUT ADAPTER from http://www.autotoys.com to provide input to the head unit.
3. Use a small footprint computer with a DVD drive, and a good HD (like a Shuttle SV24)
4. Figure out a way to provide input via the touchscreen

I also figure that once this is set up, I could add things like web cams, divx videos whatever.

What do you guys think?

Mike Caouette

·
1,484 Posts
I'm not positive but I don't think it's as simple as plugging in just the RGB signals. Actually I'm still learning about it myself but - yes computers do output RGB, as well as Horizontal and Vertical Sync. The NAVI uses RGB and Composite Sync. I've read it's possible to convert VGA to RGB. You might want to do Google search on that.

Does that MP3 Auxiliary Input adapter require a CD Changer for it to work?

As for the touchscreen/joystick intergration - that would be great! But I have no idea how this could be done. But please let us know if and when you find out.

Actually, I do have an idea. It's a little crude but seemingly possible. Have you seen those S1teering Wheel Interfaces adapters used for keeping the steering wheel controls working with an aftermarket radio. Well my theory is you can tap the SWI into whatever the data output wire on the NAVI is and program it to do something when a certain button is pressed. Example:

- Press the Joystick up
- Program the SWI to tell the computer, stereo, or mp3 player to switch to the next track
- Press the Joystick down
- Program the SWI to tell the computer, stereo, or mp3 player to switch to the previous track

Just make sure the device you want to control has a infrared remote.

- Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can find a lot of the information you are looking for in the following thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000406.html

As discussed there, Nemogira is correct that the Navi screen has composite sync whereas normal VGA computer output has separate sync. This is a surmountable problem (note that you will also have to get the frame rate and resoution right), but if you can still find the required parts, I think you will find it easier to do the Video Navi conversion and just use a computer with NTSC outputs (Macintosh Ibook laptops are ideal for this application, btw).

As for touch screen input, I have looked into this in some detail and reported the results in the above thread. Basically, it is very difficult, since there is a complex 2-way protocol between the screen and the Nav computer over a non-standard (apparently current-loop) interface. The screen is not a dumb device--it does a bunch of local processing and will not send screen or switch events unless it is in proper communication with the nav computer. This *could* be hacked, but this mod would definitely be in the "advanced" category, and would require subtle low-level hacking with some kind of embedded microprocessor. This is way beyond anything that an off the shelf steering-wheel converter (or anything else I could imagine buying from a catalog) could handle.

--avanti

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:

Does that MP3 Auxiliary Input adapter require a CD Changer for it to work?
</font>
Looks like it does not. But OUCH! $90!!!!!

Take a look:
autotoys link

BTW, Mike, good have more bay area hackers in the forum! Keep us posted on your efforts. Also, please check the OdyClub Events forum for an upcoming event!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all the info! Wow, I didn't think it was going to be that hard. I guess I may just go with the computer using an ntsc output, and maybe a well placed touchpad for input.

-Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
That was my conclusion as well.

I am picturing dual touchpads nicely integrated into the trim of the arm rests on both of the front doors, on the bevel in front of the window controls.

--avanti

1 - 7 of 7 Posts