Honda Odyssey Forum banner

new Kenwood CD player problem

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  moonatics 
#1 ·
We just had a Kenwood CD player installed after my two year old used my Sony as a piggy bank and ruined it. We're glad the Kenwood sounds so great, but here's the problem: the last few days have been in the 50's in the morning, and the stereo is too cold to start! No buttons work, and I had to take off the faceplate and warm it with the heater. Pretty strange, I think. What's going to happen when it gets really cold here?

Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem.

#2 ·
That doesn't sounds normal. I don't think the temperature is the culprit.Not unless the head unit is defective. Anyone ?
It's been in the 40's when I've been going to work the past few days and my car's stereo starts up normal. Never had a symptom like that before. Even on trips to Tahoe with below freezing temps.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

#3 ·
Moonatics,
A couple of questions.
1) did you try other things before heating the faceplate to see if it was something else?

The reason I ask is the most common problem with removable faceplate stereos is bent/dirty/damaged/etc... electrical connections with the main unit. Could it be the faceplate wasn't 100% seated when you put it on in the first place?

2) When you say no buttons work, do you mean to say that nothing even shows on the readout and there is no sign of any electrical connection of the faceplate to the main unit? Or do you mean the unit shows clock (or whatever status indicator, LEDs, etc..) and that no buttons respond to your touch?

3) How many times have you seen this problem? Is it intermittent or do you see it every morning, or every time you've been away from the car for an extended period of time?

In any case, if it is a recurring problem (happened more than one time as a fluke), then I'd advise you to go back to your dealer and have them replace it. It's probably defective.

Car stereos should not be sensitive to temperature ranges any car in the US would see.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

#4 ·
Actually, the first day I noticed it, the radio had been left on and came back just fine when I started the car. However, I could not change the volume or switch radio stations, but the radio was working fine. I couldn't even tell if the display was fully bright. Then, after a couple minutes, I tried it again, and it worked. The temperature of the faceplate wasn't nearly as cold by then. The second day, the stereo had been turned off, and I could not get anything to turn on. No display, nothing. I took off the faceplate (for the first time since I have had the stereo) and put it back on. Nothing. Then I figured it wouldn't hurt to let it warm up, since it was cold, so I held it near the heater, and put it back on. Worked fine.

Now that I think about it more, I am wondering if there is something else about the faceplate that is a problem. I just don't know much about car stereos, and thought maybe someone knew of some glitch in Kenwoods. Guess I'll be talking to the dealer if it happens again...

#5 ·
Based on your description, and not having looked at your faceplate, I would tend to think you have an electrical problem with the head unit and/or faceplate. Intermittent contact problems between the faceplate and head unit typically do not show symptoms as you describe. You may wanna double check though; carefully examine all of the metal contacts, both faceplate and head unit side to be sure there is no bent connection, corrosion, broken or otherwise damaged pin.

My main advice still stands though: you should probably go back to the dealer and have them look at it/replace it.

Good luck, hope it all works out OK with you.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

#6 ·
Thanks. Since I've been at home the past three days, I have not checked the stereo. I'm going back to work tomorrow - ugh - I'll check it in the morning and see if it's still a problem. We had a very heavy rainstorm today, and it has gotten quite cold, so we'll just have to see...thanks again

#7 ·
Well, it happened again! The stereo was on, and playing, but when I attempted to turn down the volume (by pushing the down button), the stereo shut down and the display was off. It came on as I pressed the button again, as if I was pushing the connections back together. It's not loose, however.

Now, if this does not happen when I get in my car at noon, I will conclude that it has to do with the temperature. If not, it will be a faceplate electrical problem. Regardless, and unfortunately, I am going to have to take it to the dealer! Ugh!

#9 ·
How long ago did you get it from Good Guys? During the first 30 days, they have a replacement guarantee; they must replace it for free from their current stock. (ties into their 30 day, no questions asked return policy) Sometimes places like the Good Guys are not a bad place to shop for such reasons of service. They should take care of you immediately (permitting scheduling time for the swap).
Good Luck!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

#10 ·
THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THIS! I bought the stereo on October 26. I read your post and then ran to the phone and called Good Guys. Customer Service said no problem, they'll replace it for free. WOO HOO!

Thanks for all your help everyone! Let's hope the new stereo will be problem free!

[This message has been edited by moonatics (edited 11-14-2001).]

#12 ·
Just wanted to let you know that all is well with the replacement Kenwood CD player. Not a single problem, and sounds great! I am so glad I got on this board with my concern. If I hadn't, I may have been stuck with the dud player forever, or would have had to pay some hefty shipping and/or repair fees. Thanks to all! Laura

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.