Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and I apologize if it's in the wrong section of the forum. I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question while I was at it...

My name is Stefanie, and I currently live in Sacramento. I have two little girls - one of whom will be 3 this June and a little 5-month old. I also have 3 dogs I have to cart around, and was getting really sick of having to transport my family in two separate vehicles all of the time. My parents own a 2002 Odyssey and are still extremely happy with it to this day, so during my quest for a minivan, I naturally gravitated toward one, too.

Anyhow, a week ago today, my husband and I found a 2008 Touring with PAX with barely over 30,000 miles on it. We purchased the extended warranty on it, and were really happy with it...until I (very belatedly) did some more research on the Michelin PAX system (a lot of that research was on here, by the way...thanks guys!)

By the way, before I go any further, I should probably warn you all that I'm technically challenged. As in, I know next to nothing about auto mechanics. :huh:

Needless to say, when I found out that Michelin had discontinued the PAX system, found out how much the tires cost to replace, and read accounts of them going bare at 20,000 miles, I grew really concerned. My husband made a call into our dealer and spoke to the owner, who surprisingly offered to swap out our PAX wheels/tires for the standard wheels and tires on a 2008 EX they have on the lot...for free. Alternatively, he offered us a free set of PAX tires when they need replacing if we decide to stay with the system.

My main concern is that if I decide to switch to standard tires, it will nullify my extended warranty. I did attempt to read the fine print on my contract, but it doesn't seem particularly clear whether switching to standard tires would have any effect on the warranty...not to mention I went a little cross-eyed reading it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I do plan on calling them tomorrow to ask...but I'm also afraid that I'll talk to some shmuck who will say something along the lines of, "Hurhur, naw, switching out your wheels won't nullify your contract!" and then finding out the hard way that I was told wrong. Can you tell I've had bad experiences in the past?

Also, I've read a lot of accounts from people who absolutely hate PAX. Is there anyone who likes it? What would you do in my situation, and why? Any input would be appreciated...I'm pulling my hair out here!

Thanks in advance everyone! It's so nice to find this type of resource on the internet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
First off; WELCOME to the site :hi:

I really don't see why changing tires and rims would invalidate your x-tended warranty. The extended warranty would cover most of engine and other drive train parts.

Tires, brakes and things what wear are usually not covered anyways.

If your dealer is offering something free today, I would jump on that because he might "forget" about it tomorrow.

Good Luck,

Pat

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub Stephanie (from another newbie).

And congrats on your new Touring :) (we just took delivery of an '09 EX-L today).

You didn't actually say it, but it sounds like you dealt with a Honda dealer. Not knowing the terms and conditions of your extended warranty, I can't comment whether their offer of a free swap to non-PAX wheels/tires would (or should) nullify the warranty. You didn't see anything explicit about that in the warranty. So was that something the dealership owner told your husband ? This would be a good time to make sure just exactly what the extended warranty covers or not cover.

If you pursue this and they don't budge on the warranty nullification (by way of the swap), AND that the contract is not clear on that, if it were me, I would take this up to the highest powers possible (bypassing the queue of schmucks along the way).

I suspect the immediate willingness by them to offer the free wheels/tires swap (and free set of PAX tires in the future) suggests they are feeling consumer resistance to buy Ody's with PAX. Perhaps they didn't "offer" any comments on the PAX system and its flaws to you when you were checking out this vehicle.

BTW, do you have any sort of short-term refund/exchange options with your purchase ? Some dealers do. If so, maybe you might want to leverage that opportunity if things don't seem to go in your favour.

Let us know how this goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Pax tires is expensive to maintain $1400 a pop. If they will swap it for free I would say go for it now before they change their mind. Your extended warranty i believe covers mostly transmission related issue. Tires,wheels,brakes mostly not covered as they wear up faster than any part of the van. But check with the company first the ones giving you the warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't quote me, but to me common sense, tho the dealers might not have much of, says that if the dealers is the one to offer the swap, I don't see how that would void any kind of warranty given by them.
I currently have the pax, I like the ease of mind with mynewborn soon to be here. Tho once I have to replace the tires I will not be installing pax again. But then again if they were free.......lol. Just make sure you get stuff in writing because a week from now Joe Honda smackers might not work there for offering crazy deals orthry might just back out of theirword.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses! I did get my Odyssey from a Honda dealer - sorry, I suppose that would be an important bit of info. ;) They did tell us explicitly that Honda does not approve of changing out the PAX wheels for standards on the vehicle and that they were offering it to us just to make us happy.

I did call on the extended warranty today. Turns out that switching to standard tires would invalidate my warranty. Although I'm thinking no one's going to notice my tires if I take the car in for say, a, A/C repair, I don't know if I want to take the chance. So I think I'm going to take the deal on the replacement PAX tires. The dealer is giving me the deal in writing (although I don't have it in hand yet).

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
If I am not mistaken, 2008 had PAX optional. So, you march back into the stealership and ask them to give you the non-PAX Touring rims. Once you have that, who is to say whether the rims were swapped or not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I am not mistaken, 2008 had PAX optional. So, you march back into the stealership and ask them to give you the non-PAX Touring rims. Once you have that, who is to say whether the rims were swapped or not.
But that Ody came into the dealer with PAX (presumably), so it's being sold as-is, so to speak, right ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It did come into the dealer with PAX. I'm more than a little upset at myself for not researching the whole PAX thing before I bought the car, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any problems and the car seems to drive and ride smoothly (at least for my mediocre tastes). The owner of the dealership in my opinion has been more than accommodating and helpful regarding my concerns with the tires, so I have to say I'm quite impressed as a whole. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that keeping the PAX was a wise choice...

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can keep the Pax tire set-up and just set aside some $$$ when it's time to replace it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just can't understand any of this. For example, convertin your headlights to HID. If some electrical part goes out, they might blame that on the HID kit, but then again they have to PROVE that the HID kit caused it. So Im thinking the same strategy applies here. Let's say your axle gets bent or something after you de-pax. It should be covered under the extended warranty(at least it goes under the powertrain warranty). Unless they can actually prove that your wheels caused it, they can't nullify the warranty claim just because they "think" your wheels caused it, especially when you're using Honda OEM parts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It did come into the dealer with PAX. I'm more than a little upset at myself for not researching the whole PAX thing before I bought the car, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any problems and the car seems to drive and ride smoothly (at least for my mediocre tastes). The owner of the dealership in my opinion has been more than accommodating and helpful regarding my concerns with the tires, so I have to say I'm quite impressed as a whole. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that keeping the PAX was a wise choice...
No worries, things are always clearer in hindsight, right ? Don't beat yourself over it. And poor taste ? ..... you did buy an Odyssey so that theory's out the window ;)

There's nothing inherently wrong with the PAX wheels/tires (AFAIK), they're not dangerous or under-performers. From what I know, I think Michelin (and maybe Honda to a smaller extent) dropped the ball as far as after-sale support of the system.

This ain't another Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle where safety was actually an issue.

Sounds like your dealer so far has been generous in their support of your purchase. If you're happy with that so far, then might as well take the free PAX tires offer at face value. That doesn't preclude you from looking around for another set of non-PAX wheels/tires to await swapping onto, after you use up the second pair of free PAX tires, whenever that will be.

I just can't understand any of this. For example, convertin your headlights to HID. If some electrical part goes out, they might blame that on the HID kit, but then again they have to PROVE that the HID kit caused it. So Im thinking the same strategy applies here. Let's say your axle gets bent or something after you de-pax. It should be covered under the extended warranty(at least it goes under the powertrain warranty). Unless they can actually prove that your wheels caused it, they can't nullify the warranty claim just because they "think" your wheels caused it, especially when you're using Honda OEM parts.
That got me scratching my head too.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
That got me scratching my head too.
Actually, its a fairly common scare tactic used by quite a few stealers to prevent users from dePaxing. I am not sure if these stealers truly believe that Honda will void warranties or not but according to the Magnuson Moss Warranty act, neither Honda nor the stealership can void the warranty if the wheels were changed. But that topic has been beaten to death and then some so I didn't bring it up for the new OP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts