Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I purchased a 2011 White Honda Odyssey Ex Last night.

I paid an OTD price of $37,500 with the dealer taking back a leased Civic 9 months early. (315\month for 9 months + no requirement to complete any outstanding maintanance or replace tires \ breaks)

I am sure that I could have done better on the price but its been a hassle shopping around with 2 kids and a baby crammed into a Civic.

With all that being said the dealer still wants me to make my November payment
So I will be driving the Civic for another month (since I am paying for it).

The civic is on the "SOLD" lot waiting for me ....

Here comes the longest November of my life lol

Looking forward to learning and contributing to this forum.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Me too think its a lot. Whats the break down of yer payment.. Return the van!

·
Registered
9 Posts
She's in Canada. The trim levels and pricing is different there. Perhaps other others from there can chime in on pricing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is the pricing in Ontario:

Retail Price * Wholesale Price**
Base $33,990.00 $31,271.00
Freigh $1,590.00 $1,590.00
EXTAX $100.00 $100.00

To start your negotiations, take this number, add a fair dealer markup/profit (3%-6% on most cars) and deduct any applicable factory incentive below.

Non-stackable Trading Dollars/Factory to Dealer Rebate $2,000.00

So its Total $32,961 + markup for dealer - $2000 rebate x 13% tax

·
Registered
687 Posts
contactkhaled, welcome to Odyclub.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your van very much. If you don't mind me asking, which GTA Honda dealer did you go to?

Yeah, even though the Canadian dollar is on par or higher than the USA greenback, prices are almost always higher for everything in Canada. We have a smaller market (1/10th of the USA) with much less buying power. We also have fewer selection for many products too.

For example, the 2012 Honda Odyssey, we only get 6 color choices instead of 8 (no Smokey Topaz or Celestial Blue) and 4 trim choices instead if 5 (no Touring).

Here are the Canadian MSRP prices of the 2012 Honda Odyssey:

LX $29,990
EX $33,990
EX (with RES) $35,490
EX-L (with RES) $40,490
Touring (Elite) $46,990

At least they held the prices from the 2011 model.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
contactkhaled, welcome to Odyclub.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your van very much. If you don't mind me asking, which GTA Honda dealer did you go to?
I wen't to a dealer in Brantford.
It was a good experience overall except for the November lease payment they sprang on me last second.

Only complaint is the guy leaving with my offer and going back to his manager every time and coming back with different numbers.

I felt like I was dealing with the middle man the whole time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wen't to a dealer in Brantford.
It was a good experience overall except for the November lease payment they sprang on me last second.

Only complaint is the guy leaving with my offer and going back to his manager every time and coming back with different numbers.

I felt like I was dealing with the middle man the whole time.
That's a well-choreographed dance to make people pay more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's a well-choreographed dance to make people pay more.
I really really don't like the game, and don't generally deal with it. I have been pretty successful in the past doing solid research on what I am looking for exactly, then either putting it out to bid on the internet, or going into the dealer and laying my pricing on the table - take it or leave it. There may be some hemming and hawing (that is a technical term :DD), but it cuts the dance to a short couple of bars. If the deal is at all reasonable, they won't let you walk. Don't let the dealer control the pricing discussion by being clear and firm about your payment intentions - and be ready to say "thanks - but I'll find a dealer who will honor that price" and 9 times out of 10, they will meet your price when they know you are ready to walk.

Jeff

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really really don't like the game, and don't generally deal with it. I have been pretty successful in the past doing solid research on what I am looking for exactly, then either putting it out to bid on the internet, or going into the dealer and laying my pricing on the table - take it or leave it. There may be some hemming and hawing (that is a technical term :DD), but it cuts the dance to a short couple of bars. If the deal is at all reasonable, they won't let you walk. Don't let the dealer control the pricing discussion by being clear and firm about your payment intentions - and be ready to say "thanks - but I'll find a dealer who will honor that price" and 9 times out of 10, they will meet your price when they know you are ready to walk.

Jeff
I dislike the dance so much that I utilized the Costco Auto Club for the pre-established pricing. Since the Costco dealer was an hour from my house, I took the quote to my nearest dealer and got the price from them.

So it was kind of "man biting dog" because I screwed the Costco dealer from the sale.

Karma's a bitch. I've been the bitee before, so it was kind of refreshing. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know that price shopping should be overshadowed by some sort of negative connotation. Everything gets shopped - not just cars. Sell it for less, and do higher volume, or sell it for more an differentiate yourself some other way. Problem is, the higher volume dealers get more incentives from the parent company, as well a better selection of models/trims/colors that may be more difficult to find based upon their buying power. People tend to develop a loyalty to those that strike a balance - providing that something extra, and having a competitive price. Since you are the one with the $$ in your hands, you are ultimately in control. Be prepared to accept a reasonable deal, and walk when it is not right.

Good luck all.

Jeff

·
Registered
88 Posts
From another fellow Canadian, welcome contactkhaled to the forum!

For example, the 2012 Honda Odyssey, we only get 6 color choices instead of 8 (no Smokey Topaz or Celestial Blue) and 4 trim choices instead if 5 (no Touring).
:
We'll I'm glad I got the blue in 2011 :) though I think the colours they added are good for the mass market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts