Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Story
Six years ago I purchased a new 2005 Saturn VUE with the Honda 3.5L FWD. To me, the biggest selling point was the Honda drive-train. I am happy to say that 3 kids and 104k miles later, I haven't had a single problem with the engine or trans. However, while spending all my time trying to be a good husband and father, I have neglected the maintenance of this poor vehicle.

I have always been regular with oil changes but I have never replaced the transmission fluid or anything else. I am at 105k miles and it just hit me that there are probably quite a few things I need to take care of. This is my wife's car so I don't seem to think about it until I get in to drive, but I am an extreme fan of DIY work. My own car is an 04 Subaru wrx and I have replaced everything from clutch to timing belt to wheel bearing so I am confident that I can do *most anything with this car.

Questions

1. I was told that my 05 3.5l VUE FWD has the same drive-train as the Honda Odyssey(the whole reason for me being here). Is this true? If so, can you tell me more about what generation Odyssey is similar?

2a. I see that I need to replace my timing belt and I assume all idlers at 100k. Is there a good kit I can buy or kits I should stay away from?

2b. Can anyone point me to important threads on parts used or DIY write ups on this topic?

3. My transmission fluid is probably very much so overdue. Is there any thread on what I should replace it with as far as brand (i.e. redline, mobil, etc.)?

4. Is there a specific kind of spark plug that I should use?

5. What else should I consider doing since I am over 100k?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I am not asking to be spoon fed but if you can even point me in the right direction I will be grateful. If you want to come in and simply say "search n00b", that's fine too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A good place to start would be to look at the code for ur transmission w/c should be stamped on the housing. If it is a honda transmission then you should be able to use OEM Honda transmission fluid from the dealer. I find that NGKs are good sparkplug replacements for Hondas.
I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
About #3 - transmission fluid. You will find favorable opinions here on just about all brands. Personally I trust only OEM or Amsoil. However, whatever brand, you should switch to a synthetic (OEM DW-1 is now syn). Do a 3-time drain and refill to get a good proportion of new. You should really do a 1-time drain and refill regularly, say every other oil change, if the transmission does in fact prove to be Honda.

PS: According to Wikipedia, the 2005 Vue V6 does have a Honda tranny (and engine). Saturn Vue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave! I read that wiki and it was very helpful. I have also spent quite a bit of time searching for my other questions.

I found a spark plug install and I will be replacing them with the NGK V power plugs.

I also found a thread which illustrates a timing belt change. I still haven't seen anything on what belt/idler kit I should buy for it though.

I will be doing the drain and fill method even though I wanted to just flush the whole thing. I called my local Honda dealer and dw-1 is around $8.50 a qt so I think I will use that unless I can find a comparable fluid for less.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Be sure to use platinum plugs if you can, plugs should be easy to get at and is pretty simple. They also recommend a valve adjustment or to check the valves- not that hard to do on this engine. Get the oem kit for the timing belt- or go with the big names like gates. I think the oem is mitsubishi or somesuch but not sure. Change all the belts when you do the timing belt as you will have to take those belts off anyways.

Don't forget to change brake fluid and the power steering fluid is easy to replace too unless they plumbed it differently in the vue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts