Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I just bought a 97 Oasis and the factory rack was about falling apart so I took it of and am wondering if I need to buy the pieces to fill the gap that is left or is it ok without it. I just dont want it to leak. Cant really see where it would but thought I would ask. I want to get the pieces at some time but new they are almost $300. I am going to try to find them used. Thanks for any info and thanks for creating such a great place for info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not think so but I thought I would play it safe. Lots of rain in Seattle. I want to replace the rails but don't want to spend $250 on new ones so I am going to try to find some used. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Check out StangSteve's post about parting out his van. His roof strips should be easy enough to mail in a box if they are gently rolled up. You can then remove your rack brackets and cut strips, and then snap in the one piece strips. The bracket screws can be a pain to remove. One of the captive nuts broke loose on one of mine so it just spins when I turn the screw. (No problem for me, I like the look of the rack!)
Nothing's going to leak, there's no hole in the roof (except for my sunroof!) where the brackets attach. Search for the Bernardi(?) parts link where they have a PDF of the roof rack installation instructions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Kernel. I liked the look of the factory rack as well but it just was not sturdy enough to carry surfboards and baby stuff. Saying the screws are a pain is putting it lightly. I finally got them all out but it was no small feat. Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am interested in buying your roof rack. I just want it for the look, dont need to use it as i have a hitch and trailer to haul stuff around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stridge67 I will take photos and send the to you if you want. Do you have the solid pieces on yours? If so I would like those. Tell me where you want the photos sent to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have everything you need. The solid pieces I guess are cut in pieces to fit in between the rack pieces. I would be willing to just trade all my rack pieces for your solid pieces. I will take photos of everything I have and send them to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
that would be great. i'm pretty handy and might be able to fix the rack. as it will only be for the look. i have the full uncut strips in great condition. i am in tucson arizona so shipping cost should be low for both of us to get the parts swapped. let me know if shipping will be a problem so i can figure things out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts