Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I'm a sucker for Michelin. I have Pilot XGT H4s on the Ody and Pilot Sports on my BMW. Now there is a new high-performance all-season tire from Michelin: Pilot Sport A/S. It's available in several Ody-compatible sizes: 225/60WR-16, 235/55WR-17 and 235/50WR-18. The Tire Rack site says that it's a 'special order' item. Maybe that really means none are actually here yet.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
How do the XGT-H4's do in the rain -- say at around 80 mph on the X-way? Any tendency to aquaplane? I assume they stick OK in the corners in the dry?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's difficult for me to compare the Pilots with the OE tires, since I swapped 'em out within the first week. Given that, though, I like the tires. I think they're a little noisier and I've never had them in any serious snow or ice, but they're great in normal (wet and dry) driving.

Jerry O also has a set of Pilot XGT H4s, but bought 235/60HR-16s, so he's got a bit more rubber on the road. Jerry O? Comments?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wish I could tell you how the Michelins are in the rain, but, we have not had much rain since I had them installed in January. As a rule, I do not go really fast in the rain because I have read too much about hydroplaning and know there is very little contact with the road at speeds over 60 mph. I hate to hear someone talk about 80 mph in the rain because at that speed, they are just one long puddle away from a "no steer" situation and a BIG problem they cannot do anything about.

On my other van (Caravan), I had some Dunlop D60A2s and was VERY pleased with the over-all traction and wonderful turn-in response. They did add a bit of a "hard edge" to the ride, but the handling advantage was worth it. They were one of the best kept secrets in the tire world for a long time. A guy at the Tire Rack told me what a bargain they were. They now seem to have replaced them with a new tire, the SP Sport A2, which should be a very good van tire with an "H" speed rating. The price is right and the wear, based upon my experience should be quite good.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Twilight zone moment here, Jerry: When the OE tires (Goodyears, I think) on our '94 Caravan ES wore out, I bought a set of Dunlop D60A2s to replace them. And got the Pilot XGT H4s when I got the Ody in '99. Obviously great minds think alike...
Larry

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bridgestone has a new all-season high performance tire that is getting great reviews. It is the RE950 and features a special composition that allows it to keep its wet performance grip even as the tire wears down.
Down right cheap for a performance tire too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re950.jsp

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, Llarry, it's pretty spooky! There's lotsa good rubber out there these days. I go back to the days when the best you could get was a set of nylon cord bias-plies. In those days, we just pumped 'em up to 40 psi and hoped for the best. I must say that I never had a tire failure in all my crazy teen, 20s and 30s driving. Guess it depends how one's luck runs........

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am wondering about an update to your questions & current opinion of Michelin's on the Ody. Our new one arrives this week and I have already made a deal to swap originals for Hakkappeliitta Q 216/65 - 16 for winter use. So being another Michelin fan I'm debating between Pilot Sport A/S 235/55Wr-17, Energy MXV4 plus 235/55Hr-17 or XGT H4's.

I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Bjorn

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can only speak as a user about the XGTH4s. They have been very good and have an excellent dry and wet grip. I have become accustomed to the turn-in response and feel the tire choice was a good one. the MXVH4s should be quieter and a little lower in over-all performance. I do not know anything about the Pilot Sport A/S, except to relate to the speed rating as denoting a sportier, possibly harder riding tire.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As usual, I concur with everything Jerry O says. I don't know anyone who has a set of the Pilot Sport A/Ss yet. If you have your heart set on a 17" upgrade, I'm not sure the Pilot XGT H4 comes in the right size, either.
I suspect you can't go wrong with any of 'em, though. Let us know what you end up with and how it turns out, OK?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yokohama ADVAN S.4

Was looking on tirerack.com and they now have the Yokohama ADVAN S.4available in a 225/55WR17 with a decent 97W load rating.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 235/55R17 since most of the tires in the 225/55 size were around the 95 load range...

Too new to have any reviews but looks like it may be a new choice for those running 17" rims...

I went back and checked and its also available in a
225/60WR16 98W size as well for those that want to stick to the factory size and they are going for $115 each. Makes them a much cheaper alternative to the Michelin Sport A/S at $148.

With my Blizzaks for snow these may be the ones that find their way on my Ody when its time for new treads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts