Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My first posting after a year of research on this great site. Thanks for all the great info.

I just received an E-mail from my dealer on Long Island indicating the build date for my van. He said I could expect delivery 4 to 6 weeks later with chances of delay due to strict security at the Canadian border.

That's the first I've heard about my van coming from Canada and it kind of caught me off guard.

I think I've seen posts in the past with people advising not to accept Canadian Odysseys for some reason. I vaguely recall warnings about them not being covered in the US under the warrantee. Can anyone give me any insight on this. I don't know if I have reason to be leery or not. Maybe this is the norm.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do Not worry!

All, yes all, Odysseys are made in Alliston Ontario Canada. It is currently the only plant in North America (the world??) making them. Alabama plant will start up in the next few months.

Now what people are warning you about is buying a Canada SPECIFICATION Ody, versus a US spec Ody. Canadian Spec Vans have heated mirrors, daytime run lights, and stronger batteries, but we do get Navi or DVD RES.

If you tried to buy a Canada Spec ody from a dealer in the USA then yes you would have warranty issues.

People try to buy Canadian Odys because a) they are thousands cheaper, and b)they are readily avialable with no waiting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PD55. Now I can celebrate my imminent delivery. Since I'm waiting on an EX-L RES, I guess it is the American model.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Our EXL was built on 10 October. We drove it home from our dealer near Chicago on 16 October. That puts the transit time at less than a week, including whatever "security delays" there are at the border (in this case the point of entry was near Buffalo, NY).

4-6 weeks seems like a long time.

Ask for the VIN by the end of the build week. This reduces the possibility of a dealer playing vehicle swapping games.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
43 Posts
4-6 weeks for transit to New York is BS.
Its a max of 2 weeks for West Coast. Should be a lot less for east coast.
I think the dealer is just playing safe or is trying to too smart.
Get the VIN number right away. He should have it if he knows that is build/in-transit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts