Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 TW EX-L From my local dealer in Bradenton, FL. The owner of the dealership lives in my neighborhood and told me he would sell me the vehicle at MSRP "no extras". I later called him to confirm the deal as MSRP, tax and title. He agreed. The salesman who contacted us to tell us the vehicle was in also confirmed MSRP,tax and title. When we went to sign the deal some 4 weeks later the order form has a $399.50 Delivery Charge on top of MSRP of $28690. I know EXACTLY what that is. It's a rip off. The finance guy (we paid cash) said the fee was non-negotiable because it was a permanent entry on their paperwork. He also said if he didn't charge us that other customers could sue them for charging them but not charging us!! We really wanted the vehicle (we sold our 2nd car a month ago) so I VERY reluctantly paid up. I have a call into the owner expressing my displeasure. I can't wait to get my survey!

·
Registered
205 Posts
That really is BS! Make sure you hammer them on the survey - Honda America should be told of such unethical business practices.

I got a call from Honda America last week to ask about my 2002 EX-L purchasing experience. The lady called my cellphone, so I asked her to call me on an office phone. I never heard from her again. Rather annoying. Still, waiting for the survey in the mail.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just got off the phone with the owner of Hondacars of Bradenton, FL. He said he thought he was doing me a favor by ONLY charging me $399.50 over MSRP. He said it was the law that I pay the Delivery Charge just like everyone else, including his employees, because it is part of his paper work. He also said that he routinely gets an additional $995 over sticker. I guess I should be happy that he ONLY charged me 4 bills over... even though he lives right around the corner. He said if he didn't charge me he would be cutting into his profits! Be that as it may, we love the Ody and his service dept. agreed to fix the misalignment with the steering wheel immediately. BTW, when we told the finance guy and the owner that we could get an Extended Honda Care for $875-$895 they thought I was mistaken. We'll see. He also doesn't believe that some people are paying MSRP or even below. I directed him to the Odyclub. Thanks for the ammo! ...I mean info.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So, you're "eating into his profits" by not paying $995 over MSRP, eh?
This is pure GREED.

He is already making THOUSANDS of dollars from your purchase, without having to charge an additional $400 or $995!

MSRP $28,690
Invoice $25,856

He's making over $2800 dollars.
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Let him have it on the survey.

Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX - Silver
1990 Mustang LX - Titanium

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe Titanium

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's true that the dealer is required to pay the destination charge (though I thought it was $340 or $360). It's normal for them to pass that fee along. HOWEVER, your best be would have been to say, "fine, I'll pay the destination/delivery fee, but I want you to knock $400 off the price of the vehicle".

Unfortunately, these vans are still in very high demand so he may not be willing.

For those shopping now, be sure you have a good understanding up front of the total fees (i.e., when they say "msrp" confirm that it's "msrp plus tax, license, and no destination fee").

My $0.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MSRP is actually $28,250. You add the destination and handling of $440 and you get Total Vehicle Price $28,690. That's fine. But paying $399.50 for"delivery charge (this represents costs and profit to the selling dealer such items as inspecting, cleaning, adjusting new and used vehicles and preparing documents related to sale)"---that's right off the sales contract--- is a rip off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's why I have been telling people to compare the total 'drive-out' price among the dealers, NOT the selling price or MSRP.
Dealer can always sell you the car for any amount under MSRP as they like. If you leave the dealership with a signed paper for $500, $1000 or even $2000 off MSRP and think you have got the best deal. Think again. That paper is only for the price they'd like to sell you the car. By the time they think you deserve the wait and call you to come and pay for it, you'd be shocked with the 'drive-out' price, and most of the time it is too late because you do not want to wait all over again for another couple months.
My point is, always ask for a manager signed 'drive-out' price and compare that price instead of who sell you the most under MSRP.
The above are from the experience of mine and a lot of other buyers. Beware !

·
Registered
205 Posts
"If I don't charge you the delivery fee I'll be eating into my profits". LOL - that is the best line I have heard from a dealer in a long time. Well, DUH! Any money he doesn't get eats into his profits. The fact is he's making a boatload of profit on the van anyway. You should ask him how he can afford to sell Accords and Civics below MSRP - he must be GIVING money away!

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts