Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a new Ody owner. I placed the $200 refundable deposit on 12/10/01, and the salesman predicted the car would arrive in late February or early March. The Canadian-built GG EX came in on Monday, and I picked it up on Tuesday. I paid MSRP. The only freebies included were a tank of gas and a bottle of Friexinet spumante. I was lowballed on my potential trade-in, so will be selling it myself--something I've always done, I might add. The salesman went over all the van's bells and whistles with me and seemed to know the vehicle quite well. There wasn't a serious attempt to sell me any of the dealer-installed accessories, although they offered a deal on the HondaCare warranty, offering to knock off $200 if I bought it by this coming Saturday. I think the 7/100,000/0 plan was in the neighborhood of $1300 before the discount. I had already obtained a cargo tray from Hondaparts4u, and I will be contacting Tracy about the warranty. I might have been inclined to try to negotiate a little on fog lights (dealer wanted $689) and the warranty, but I figured they already had their pound of flesh. Other than being somewhat annoyed by his pecuniary stubbornness, I think the salesman was generally honest and straightforward.

I don't have many miles on it yet, of course, but the Ody's driveability is great and I'm impressed that such a big box can be so quiet. I misted the back seats with Vectra today, and will do the carpets and front seats tonight. I think I'll enjoy this vehicle!

ggody

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check the links for other on-line Honda parts prices. I forget who, it was but I think there is a special on the round fog lights from Handa (half of list I believe). Also I think someone posted they got the round fog lights from hondaparts4u for $175.00.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. If I'm still in the fog light mood when the weather warms up, I may purchase them online and try to install them myself. However, I'm pretty happy with the van as is. I'm also wondering if the fog lights are more razzle-dazzle than function. They do look cool, though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXODY:
Check the links for other on-line Honda parts prices. I forget who, it was but I think there is a special on the round fog lights from Handa (half of list I believe). Also I think someone posted they got the round fog lights from hondaparts4u for $175.00.</font>

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ggody:
Thanks for the info. If I'm still in the fog light mood when the weather warms up, I may purchase them online and try to install them myself. However, I'm pretty happy with the van as is. I'm also wondering if the fog lights are more razzle-dazzle than function. They do look cool, though.

</font>
I was thinking of getting them but we just don't get that much fog here close to Chicago. Maybe several days a year. We don't take a lot of road trips to foggy locations.

Maugham

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ggody:
Thanks for the info. If I'm still in the fog light mood when the weather warms up, I may purchase them online and try to install them myself. However, I'm pretty happy with the van as is. I'm also wondering if the fog lights are more razzle-dazzle than function. They do look cool, though. </font>
I installed them a few weeks ago, and am not impressed with them. They do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road, which makes it easier to see when turning corners. But they only light up about 12-15 feet in front of the van. I have driven with them in snow, rain and fog. So if you want to see to the sides better, they have function. Otherwise, it is mostly "razzle-dazzle."

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve P:
I installed them a few weeks ago, and am not impressed with them. They do a great job of lighting up the sides of the road, which makes it easier to see when turning corners. But they only light up about 12-15 feet in front of the van. I have driven with them in snow, rain and fog. So if you want to see to the sides better, they have function. Otherwise, it is mostly "razzle-dazzle." </font>
Can I ask which foglights you installed? I had the round ones on my '99 and was similarly disappointed, but I was considering the new rectangular style for the '02. I'm hoping maybe "you get what you pay for" and the newer style actually work better...

TIA

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Maybe things are different in other regions of the country, but we just placed an order for a MB EXL-RES Friday(2/8) and the dealer gave us a date of 10-17 days later for delivery. We're doing MSRP. I know the dealer has SIX others on the lot of different colors and trims. While searching for it, we visited another dealer in the area that had 4 in stock, asking MSRP for each.
I think that the times of MSRP, no negotiation, are very close to an end around here.

On the subject of parts, I've used A+H motorsport with great success of my Integra. They appear to be a full-scale dealer of all Honda and Acura parts, and have prices that are quite good.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I never buy extended warrenties for anything. I consider myself self-insured and have done so for years. Have saved thousands and never had any major repairs on cars, electronics, appliances, etc.
On the subject of fog lights I agree with previous posts. They look attractive and light up the sides a little better, but are not worth the high cost. I have them on my '99 EX, but did not add them when I put in my order today for a '02 GG EX NAVI April delivery. I am paying MSRP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fog lights are not just for razzle dazzle. They not only improve visibility in fog but also in any inclimate weather condition such as harsh rain, snow, etc. If aimed correctly they can save your ass in a low visiblity situation. Always go with reputable companies like PIAA, Hella, etc. Aiming is of utmost importance! Also, just because there isn't fog where you live you may or most likely will travel with your Ody. You may get caught by suprise by any weather situation. Are you gonna feel safer driving in the dark, in a snow or rain storm with your family and kids in the van with just stock headlights or improve your safety with fogs? Also look into picking up some after market headlights to help your safety as well. I love my Ody but i also love to take care of my main cargo my wife and son. Alot of people talk about looks here and that's fine but safety improvements are important too. Van.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fog lights. Our argument should be with Honda for not having them as standard equipment. Charging $500-$600 for a safety related add-on is outrageous. My commuter car, a Millenia, and my toy, a BMW 330CiC, both came with them. It's good to know they are there, just like airbags. For $500 I got XENON lighting in my Bimmer which includes an automatic headlight aiming system which activates every time you switch on the lights. You talk about value. These lights are awesome and give me a lot of security on country roads at night.
Also, Honda forces an extra $1500 for leather on you when you want the security of NAVI. Talk to the fellow Ody owner (somewhere on this board) who saved his wife's life by getting to an out-of-town hospital just in time because of his Honda GPS.
The Odyssey is the safest (where measureable)minivan out there, no question. But their concern for safety is skin deep and could be improved. Do heated seats (standard with leather) contribute to safety? I know an outside temperature indicator would; so would lighted steering wheel controls, etc. All low cost items when you design a car.
Anyway, I am really looking forward to April when my '02 NAVI will arrive. All in all it's a great value and the best riding minivan out there. Wish the company would be a little closer to their customers; thankfully my Honda dealer is. Ody drivers are enthusiastic owners and maybe Honda does not know that yet. I am wondering whether they check boards like this one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts