Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well, I finally got a 2002 Odyssey EX. Very surpised about all the power and good handling. I do notice the wind howl that everyone talks about and am trying to isolate. I had the dealer install an aftermarket DVD entertainment system with an 8" drop down screen and the optional fog lights. The DVD system fit perfectly in the dash and top of the minivan perfectly. The question I have is related to the DVD system they installed. They installed originally a Audiovox DVD3100 (extremely nice) system but there were power and lock-up problems with the unit that they say was defective from the factory. They took it out and installed a Panasonic CX-DV700U system. The second system is nice but I am wondering if it is of lesser quality and features??? The drop down screen is an Audiovox VOH802. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
I would say the Panasonic one is definitely better then Audiovox.</font>
I'd have to agree. Panasonic is a much better unit w/ MP3 decoding, better remote, more reliable (I've heard) mechanism.

The Audiovox has no remote data terminal to communicate with the screen, so there is no reason to stay same brand here. But if you had a Panasonic screen, the DVD and screen could talk to each other.

Anyhow...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been doing some extensive research on this subject matter myself and come to the conclusion that both Panasonic and Alpine from a features perspective are quality leaders - not necessarily value though.

Nonetheless the DV700 is Panasonic's 2nd generation mobile DVD player. Retail alone on it is in the neighborhood of $800.00 so if your installer provided you the unit for the same or little difference in price, I say you made out like a bandit.

FYI - The matching Panasonic monitor system is known as the CY-VMX6800u. It includes reading lights and two wireless headphones as well. However the screen size is only 6.8" which is substantially smaller than your Audiovox unit.

All told I think you faired better with the Panasonic DVD unit. . .

Where did you end up installing the DVD player?

My .02,

Mac

------------------
-2002 EX-L NAV Tafetta White

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mava 02NAV:
I've been doing some extensive research on this subject matter myself and come to the conclusion that both Panasonic and Alpine from a features perspective are quality leaders - not necessarily value though.

Nonetheless the DV700 is Panasonic's 2nd generation mobile DVD player. Retail alone on it is in the neighborhood of $800.00 so if your installer provided you the unit for the same or little difference in price, I say you made out like a bandit.

FYI - The matching Panasonic monitor system is known as the CY-VMX6800u. It includes reading lights and two wireless headphones as well. However the screen size is only 6.8" which is substantially smaller than your Audiovox unit.

All told I think you faired better with the Panasonic DVD unit. . .

Where did you end up installing the DVD player?

My .02,

Mac

</font>
The DVD player installed perfectly under the radio/cd player. Thanks for the input.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MB0526:
The DVD player installed perfectly under the radio/cd player. Thanks for the input.

Michael
</font>
So your Panasonic CX-DV700U fits where the map pocket usually goes, no problem?
That area is pretty tight if you keep the factory head unit... (not quite a DIN) Do you have a picture of your install you could share? I'm sure lots of people here would be interested. I am. If you have no web presence, you could email it to me ([email protected]) and I can post it online and link it here... Or Jim might even put it in the tech section...

Thanks!

p.s.- one last question: Does the 8" screen block your view out the rear view mirror when it's down?

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:
That area is pretty tight if you keep the factory head unit... (not quite a DIN) Do you have a picture of your install you could share? I'm sure lots of people here would be interested. I am. If you have no web presence, you could email it to me ([email protected]) and I can post it online and link it here... Or Jim might even put it in the tech section...

Thanks!

p.s.- one last question: Does the 8" screen block your view out the rear view mirror when it's down?

</font>
I will take a picture and post it tomorrow. Also, I will try and take a picture with the 8" screen down from the rear view mirror perspective. It currently blocks about 1/3 of my view. Not to bad though.

Michael

·
Registered
910 Posts
The dvd should fit with no problem. I have fitted an in-dash 6 CD changer and a Pioneer flip-out Lcd screen with no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
The dvd should fit with no problem. I have fitted an in-dash 6 CD changer and a Pioneer flip-out Lcd screen with no problem.</font>
Have a pic we could see too?
I've worked in other Honda's before, and thought it pretty tight fitting to fit two DIN units in the dash. Of course the DIN height is only 2" for the chassis so yeah, they fit, but most trim rings for radios/aftermarket components are bigger. Leave out the trim rings and usually the install is not so clean looking. Try to get the trim rings to fit, you have yourself a difficult job.

This is why I'm so interested. I think the key with the Panasonic unit is that it does not use a trim ring...

Correct me if your experience is different.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm really curious to see the fit also...although it's all academic now. 6 months ago I had the new Audiovox VOH702 unit installed (7", 16:9, flip down display). It's been fantastic.

I tried desparately to find an in-dash DVD player that would fit under the stock CD player (I have a 2001 EX). Everything was a full DIN height and so would NOT fit properly w/0 cutting into the dash or putting up with an unfinished look. The six-disc player is actually less than a full DIN (more like 3/4). I ended up fitting an Audiovox DVD player under the passenger seat, along with an inverter for a PS2, etc. Nice install, but not the ideal in-dash solution I was looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks!

</font>
Sorry this took so long. Had a long day yesterday. Here are the pictures I said I would post. This is the first time I have tried this so I hope it works.

[url="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mb0526/lst?&.dir=/mb0526&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1"]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mb0526/lst?&.dir=/mb0526&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1 [/url]

Some of the flip screen pictures were tough to take. On a couple I tried to take them as if you would be looking from the rear view mirror.

Talk to ya later,
Michael

[This message has been edited by MB0526 (edited 12-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Sorry this took so long. Had a long day yesterday. Here are the pictures I said I would post. This is the first time I have tried this so I hope it works.

Some of the flip screen pictures were tough to take. On a couple I tried to take them as if you would be looking from the rear view mirror.

Talk to ya later,
Michael
</font>
Cool! No worries! Thanks so much for posting pics!

Nice install! Looks like a good install by an experienced pro. Custom ABS trim ring to fill in the gaps. Looks like it sticks out just a little, but not too much.

I looked at the install instructions for this unit; no trim ring provided, so a custom job is needed (not very hard though in this case).

Can't see your screen too well (as you said), but looks pretty good, and doesn't seem to block much view either.

I heard the 8" screen brightness is not as good as the smaller ones... Have you been happy with your screen on bright, sunny days?

Anyhow, congrats on the system, looks like a winner to me!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! No worries! Thanks so much for posting pics!

Nice install! Looks like a good install by an experienced pro. Custom ABS trim ring to fill in the gaps. Looks like it sticks out just a little, but not too much.

I looked at the install instructions for this unit; no trim ring provided, so a custom job is needed (not very hard though in this case).

Can't see your screen too well (as you said), but looks pretty good, and doesn't seem to block much view either.

I heard the 8" screen brightness is not as good as the smaller ones... Have you been happy with your screen on bright, sunny days?

Anyhow, congrats on the system, looks like a winner to me!

</font>
Thanks. Screen has been great even on Sunny days. Talk to ya later.

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
nwaody:

The Panasonic system can come as a bundle with the in dash DVD player, overhead console with the 6.8" screen, two wireless headphones, and cabling connectors.

It's listed at $1,500.00 but the lowest I've seen is $1,099.99 on the net. (non authorized dealer). The lowest authorized dealer I've seen it advertised for was $1299.00.

MSRP is a real good deal because separately these items would cost $2000.00.

The Panasonic package model is PKG-DVD1.

The lowest I've seen the DVD player alone is around $500.00 here in the Los Angeles area.

Hope this helps,

Mac

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it true that the artermarket installation will void Honda's factory warranty on electrical part? that's what my Honda salesman told me when I picked up my ggEX on Friday. I wanted to get Panasonic monitor+DVD because I only trust Panasonic, but Honda doesn't carry it.

------------------
2002 OdyEX
1991 AccSE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HondaForever:
is it true that the artermarket installation will void Honda's factory warranty on electrical part? that's what my Honda salesman told me when I picked up my ggEX on Friday. I wanted to get Panasonic monitor+DVD because I only trust Panasonic, but Honda doesn't carry it.

</font>

Never heard that one. I had mine included in my deal when I bought my Odyssey. It is covered under my 7yr/100K/0 deductible warranty that I got.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nwaody:
Where is the best place to get the best deal on a Panasonic DVD system? </font>
$999 for the combo mentioned by mava

www.wholesaleconnection.com

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a GREAT price for the package! It also looks like the Manufacturer warranty is in effect but the site doesn't say if they are an authorized dealer for Panasonic.

Now it's time to wait for Uncle Sam to give me my tax refund and then I buy more toys.

If any of you guys end up picking it up, do tell!!

Regards,

Mac

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts

[url="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mb0526/lst?&.dir=/mb0526&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1"]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mb0526/lst?&.dir=/mb0526&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1 [/url]

Talk to ya later,
Michael

[This message has been edited by MB0526 (edited 12-19-2001).]
</font>
Michael,

I am trying to install the exact DVD player in my Odyssey. Can you tell me the dimensions of the trim ring around your unit?

Thanks, Darrick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts