Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new owner of 2003 92,000 with seems like a transmisson problem, I should have visited this forum before buying. Problem is slowing to all most stop around maybe 5 mph and starting again the van will not shift it is either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd not sure enigine rpms go to 4-5K until I lift off pedel and then will be OK. does not do all the time but at least once every day. There are no codes lights on. Had fluid changed last week a dealer, did not help took back to dealer today and they can find nothing wrong. I did buy extended warranty with the van. I guess my question is, can I expect to get worse and will I ever get a warning light, so the dealer service can find some thing wrong... They told me today they could disassemble tranny and if they find a problem the warrany would cover repair , but if nothing is found I would need to pay. I bought van on 10/29/11.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,141 Posts
I think you'll be OK with the extended warranty - good move there.

Prior to my 3rd AT replacement, I never got any CEL or codes. It would do the "flare" (that's the official word) on 1-2 upshifts when cold, as well as some other symptoms like a whining torque converter and delayed shifting out of park.

Depending on how long your extended warranty is, I would not worry about it. Let it get bad enough until it clearly breaks, then get a new AT. And THEN start doing things to take care of it. I would definitely NOT pay them to take it apart and maybe not find anything wrong. Standard Honda policy is to replace the AT when the P0740 code comes up, pretty much with no further diagnosis.

I would read the warranty very carefully and make sure you do everything right to get it covered when it happens.

There is a lot of info on the site about these AT problems and fixes, but as far as I can tell, there are no known solutions that have proven themselves for a significant length of time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Oldskewel
Thanks for the reply, The warranty is 2yrs/24K. So it should fail before then. The reason I had fluid changed is to follow the policy of warranty.
How long was the start of "flare" to your trans. failing?
I have a 08 Pilot,and 02 Accord and very fond of Honda's but if I had visited this forum before buying the Odyssey I may have passed on it and went with my first choice of the Element.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It was about 1500 miles from when I first noticed the symptoms (it's my wife's car so I rarely drive it myself, and I was up in Lake Tahoe in the snow when I noticed it - the cold made it worse) until it was replaced.

But it never failed completely. The symptoms only got slightly worse during that time, meaning they would occur in warmer temp's rather than just when it was cold. I tested everything electrical and did everything I thought might help, short of replacing the AT, during that time. Still, no code was ever thrown during the entire time.

I've heard of people getting by for 10k+ miles with similar symptoms, as well as others getting stranded on the road after less than 100 miles. So you might want to get the AAA super extended towing insurance if you're going to be driving far from home.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Check the codes even though the CEL is not on. Bunch of transmission codes will NOT trigger the light.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
In case your symptoms are like mine, I found my original post after I had just noticed the problem. Definitely more detailed and accurate than my memory is now:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/82214-99-transmission-failure-imminent.html

Over the next 1500 miles and ~1.5 months, it got a little worse and definitely no better. If it weren't my wife's car, I probably would have driven it until it died, just to be sure.

And for me there was no CEL and no codes either. I had always wondered about it, but I can confirm one other time on a completely different part of the car when I had no CEL, but did have a code - so it can happen. I don't really know why they do that though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update it did not take long to fail, 4 days ago it did the FLARE and dash warnings lights came on. Took to Honda dealer " transmisson shot" The extended warrany co. will not allow Honda to do the work since the warranty co. wants transmission tore down for inspection, before they will cover, they will only use Aamco, so now the van is at Aamco for 3rd day with no reply, on what failed or if it will be covered. In the mean time I have a $40.00 a day rental that I must pay for, and warranty co. may pay and may not, only if they decide to cover transmisson. OH WELL live and learn.... Of course when I first was at Aamco they told me NO PROBLEM they deal with warranty company all the time and will have the van finished by end of the week. Well that was 3 days ago and they have pulled transmisson, but not yet tore down for warranty company to inspect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the van back last night from Ammaco. The warranty company paid all the bill except for $100.00 deductable, and the $100.00 for oil cooler. Ammaco price was $2950.00. Seem good so far. BTW Honda price quote for exchange transmisson and labor was $5,800.00. Hopefully I will get 93K out of this rebuilt tranny. LOL. Honda also recommended timing belt $990.00 and spark plugs $219.00 be done.. I have a freind who will do both for $200.00 labor plus parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.