Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just purchased a 2013 Odyssey Touring Elite, and I love it! I want this thing to run forever! The dealership did a good bit of work when it was traded in. Timing belt (and another belt), power steering pump, and battery were changed. It's up there in miles (104,000), but one previous owner and no accidents. It is in beautiful condition.

All that being said, what do you all recommend doing to keep it running great?

Any advice welcome!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Keep transmission fluid changed. 30K miles max do the 3X drain and fill. I’m up to 215K miles so far on my 2011 Touring. Good idea to install a good fin and plate transmission cooler. Even if you don’t tow or haul much it will extend the life by keeping the fluid cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
395 Posts
You can also do a single drain/fill on the trans every 15k miles (every other oil change, basically). The factory recommended service is a single drain/fill every 30k miles. If you notice any odd shifting behavior (generally 'hunting' RPMs while accellerating) get the transmission serviced to keep it happy.

The other thing you will see on here is the suggestion to disable the VCM system. The engine has the ability to run on 3, 4 or all 6 cylinders. This happens when the "ECO" light is on. The disabled cylinders can have increased blow-by, carbon build-up and stuck/damaged piston rings. Disabling that system forces the engine to run in 6-cylinder mode all the time. There are a number of options for this. Read up on VCM muzzlers to get an ear/eyeful of information.

Otherwise, just follow the factory recommended services. You'll probably have a few little issues here and there - you'll find the answers here if you search or post a question.

-Charlie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agree with @phattyduck
I have the 2012 TE which had the engine recall for oil consumption, it's related to the oil rings sticking.
2011-2013 were affected, so check your VIN.
Other Honda's like the accord have this issue as well.
Disable your VCM, it's just not worth the gas savings for the issues it causes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts