Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
my wife and i just bought a 2009 Odyssey EX-L with 84,000 miles on it. First would like to thank you for your comments in this forum. Very helpful when looking to buy our van.
second, wondering if someone could help me with the info for the muzzler I need to shutdown/bypass the VCM on a 2009. From reading your discussions, that is an engine mount, oil saving, performance enhancing addition. I do not like the engine “feeling” as the eco mode shuts off and on. I live in a hilly curvy area and it gets very annoying! Any info to point me to where i can buy one for my ‘09 is much appreciated!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello everyone.
my wife and i just bought a 2009 Odyssey EX-L with 84,000 miles on it. First would like to thank you for your comments in this forum. Very helpful when looking to buy our van.
second, wondering if someone could help me with the info for the muzzler I need to shutdown/bypass the VCM on a 2009. From reading your discussions, that is an engine mount, oil saving, performance enhancing addition. I do not like the engine “feeling” as the eco mode shuts off and on. I live in a hilly curvy area and it gets very annoying! Any info to point me to where i can buy one for my ‘09 is much appreciated!
Thanks again!
The one I use and recommend is the VCMTUNER II which can be purchased from the vcmtuner.com web site. Here is a thread I started on it: VCMTuner II

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome!

In the search bar at the top center type in "vcm" and do a search. That will turn up plenty of ready as well as a few members here who have offered their version for sale. Yours is a VCM2VCM 2 or VCMII/VCM II and that's worth noting as the programming will be different depending on the version. Also, there was at least one that offered the ability to adjust on the fly while another offered several different resistors depending on your climate to fine tune the defeat of the feature.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome!

Yours is a VCM2VCM 2 or VCMII/VCM II and that's worth noting as the programming will be different depending on the version. Also, there was at least one that offered the ability to adjust on the fly while another offered several different resistors depending on your climate to fine tune the defeat of the feature.
I don't get the comment. Disabling VCM regardless of the version is to trick the ECM to think the engine hasn't fully warmed up and thus it will not activate VCM. The ECT1 sensor will reduce resistance as it warms up, and basically all the solutions increase the resistance in the circuit so as far as the ECM is concerned the engine isn't fully warmed up. There is a different version for 2005 and 06 as the connectors are different than those used in 2007+ Odysseys.

Some are passive devices where a resistance is added in series and can be changed if needed either by changing a resistor or turning a knob on a variable resistor. Then there are active devices such as the S-VCM and VCMTUNER II where there is no adjustment and they also monitor the ECT1 sensor, and if they detect an overheating condition, will pass the actual ECT1 resistance value on to the ECM so the driver is alerted. The VCMTUNER II has some added features such as a an audible coolant alarm (in overheating condition will trigger a P0118 code if feature turned on) and will automatically disable itself if idling for more than a couple of minutes to allow service procedures such as idle relearn.

In the first post in the VCMTUNER II thread above I explain why I chose the VCMTUNER II solution for my Ody - it may help in the decision process.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I don't get the comment. Disabling VCM regardless of the version is to trick the ECM to think the engine hasn't fully warmed up and thus it will not activate VCM. The ECT1 sensor will reduce resistance as it warms up, and basically all the solutions increase the resistance in the circuit so as far as the ECM is concerned the engine isn't fully warmed up. There is a different version for 2005 and 06 as the connectors are different than those used in 2007+ Odysseys.

Some are passive devices where a resistance is added in series and can be changed if needed either by changing a resistor or turning a knob on a variable resistor. Then there are active devices such as the S-VCM and VCMTUNER II where there is no adjustment and they also monitor the ECT1 sensor, and if they detect an overheating condition, will pass the actual ECT1 resistance value on to the ECM so the driver is alerted. The VCMTUNER II has some added features such as a an audible coolant alarm (in overheating condition will trigger a P0118 code if feature turned on) and will automatically disable itself if idling for more than a couple of minutes to allow service procedures such as idle relearn.

In the first post in the VCMTUNER II thread above I explain why I chose the VCMTUNER II solution for my Ody - it may help in the decision process.
Sorry, using the term "programming" was incorrect, but the concept that you can't use the same device for all years is correct, which is the message I was trying to deliver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts