Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a while here, and already had a post, but my wife and I are now owners of a 2003 Odyssey EX.

We bought it from her brother for $8000 and drove it cross-country from Ohio to California, putting it right at 100,000 miles now.

Before the cross-country trip, I replaced the backlight for the clock (using the guide on this site), installed an iPod adapter to the factory stereo (I needed tunes for the drive), and installed an additional lighter-socket for accessory power, wired to be "always on" for my Garmin GPS unit.

Yesterday I removed the front passenger seat and the second row seats so I could steam-clean the carpets, and I disassembled the center tray so I could wash the plastic parts in the dishwasher, and replace the cupholder tabs using a mouse-mat to cut new pieces from, which I'm doing today (again, using the guide on this site.)

Our 2003 EX had the factory recall 2nd gear oiler installed, and I'm due for the timing belt/water pump/spark plugs soon, but my first priority is getting it California-registered. It already passed the emissions smog test.

My immediate upgrade desires are to replace the factory speakers, and maybe add a 4-channel amp.

Then I'm looking at adding a hidden-hitch (for my Thule bike rack) and I'd love to add an aftermarket transmission cooler, just for peace of mind. I also have my eye on adding a rear-facing camera and doing an "always on" mod to the power windows.

My wife and I are Pontiac owners, and I'm active on the PontiacBonnevilleClub.com forums where I'm one of the "resident gearheads". I'm an electronics technician and audio engineer, so I'm good with all sorts of wiring and entertainment system upgrades and installing. (By day I'm a software quality engineer.) My 1997 Bonneville won the club trophy for the west-coast meet at the Woodburn dragstrip in 2009. My wife owns a 2001 Grand Prix GT, but since we got the Odyssey I'm planning to sell the Grand Prix to my neighbor. We have two boys, ages 3 and 5.

My username "Bugsi" is my standard club username, which is an homage to the Bugs Bunny Warner Brothers cartoon character, but you guys can also call me Mark.

This is my second Honda, I owned a used 1984 Honda CRX that I drove to 230,000 miles before the cams wore to the point of being round, so I have some prior experience to Hondas and their various specific fluid needs and engine servicing guides.

It's good to be a Honda owner again, and I'm really glad there's a group like this one around.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice to meet you Bugsi!

We need to keep in touch. I also have a 2003 EX-L RES and have just rolled 109,000. No problems other than the EGR valve which was replaced under warranty.

Mine also has the factory towing package, which includes the tranny cooler. The transmission still shifts like the day I bought it. My only complaint is a slight RPM flux between 45-50 mph. It's been doing that for the past 3 years, so not sure what the deal is. Maybe I should change the plugs?? Same plugs since I had 60K on it, so probably is time, along with the timing belt and water pump. My serpentine belt was nearly shredded and I replaced it couple of weeks ago as well. Thanks for the tip on the cup holder. My originals are quite dried/cracked and the mouse pad is a fantastic idea!

Again, welcome and enjoy your new Honda. Yeah, i said new. At 100K, I'd say you're just getting her broke in!!

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Welcome. 2003 and 2002 EX's, here. Love our Gen 2's.

OF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts