Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I want to thank you all for the helpful information on this site. This is my first post, but I came across ODYCLUB last week as I was awaiting delivery of my car, and I have really learned a great deal over the last few days. In particular, the VIN tracking info (which I had little success at, but it helped bide some time as I was impatiently waiting), and the SS paint issue. Our SS has a beautiful paint job, but I did a thorough check while at the dealer.

Now for the car...
I picked up my SS EX-L RES yesterday, and what a spectacular car! I am thoroughly impressed with the new drivetrain. Lots of low-end pull, even power delivery, and smooth gear changes. The front seats are great (haven't tried the other positions yet)...much better than the 00 Accord EX-L we traded. Also, the RES was a good investment. On the drive home we played Elmopolooza (first DVD purchase) for my 4 yr-old and almost 2 yr-old, and I would estimate that the screen will not be folded back up in its cradle as long as we own the car. Although I'm no audiophile, I think the sound system is excellent. Crisp/clear reproduction, easy to operate, and the RES head unit is nicely designed. I own a 94 Accord EX (148K and still going strong!) and traded the 00 Accord EX-L, and the new ODY totally reaffirms why I keep coming back to Honda products.

A bit on our buying experience...
The dealer we worked with is Coast Honda in Allenwood, NJ. They're don't take orders for 02 Ody's, but they have a set quantity of vehicles comnig in, and interested buyers can be placed on their waiting list. No deposit was required. We got on the list, and the salesman called on Friday 9/14 stating that the car we were looking for was coming in the next week (we wanted either MB or SS w/RES). We went in on Saturday to negotiate the deal. They're selling 02's at MSRP, but told me I had to by a $995 package (pinstriping, roof rack cross bars, mud flaps, cargo liner, and some other stuff I didn't really want). They can't sell any Ody's without it...dealer policy, blah blah blah. With a little reasoning, I was able to convince them that I should not be forced to take something I don't want, no matter what the policy, and they deleted it from the deal. Ended up paying MSRP, period. Did a 48 month/ 15K lease with a money factor that works out to approx. 5.8% APR. The entire experience was completed inside 2 weeks. Our car was due to come in on 9/19 and it arrived late on 9/21. Dealer provided me with the VIN earlier in the week.

They just received a few more 02's (1 is a GG EX w/cloth) and also have a couple 01's left as well. Our salesman is Ted Perez (732-974-2211 x107) who I would highly recommend. I know many of you have been waiting months for your 02's, and I can tell you, the car is well worth the wait. Hopefully this may help someone else in the central NJ area who is looking. Best of luck in your search!
P.S. - Any questions about the 02's or RES, send them my way. I've still got a lot to learn, but will do my best to answer. Later!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,

I am awaiting my new EXL RES. I was wondering if you could tell me if you can play the DVD audio over the stereo. I am fairly certain that my 2 year old son will not keep the headphones on.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was wondering if you could tell me if you can play the DVD audio over the stereo. I am fairly certain that my 2 year old son will not keep the headphones on.</font>
Yes--although in my so-far limited experience with it, it's not amplifed nearly as much as you'd expect it to be.

We put the headphones on my 2 (soon to be 3) year old, playing just his Thomas tape; he loved it. Don't be hesitant; give it a try. He'll surprise you every time.

I won't keep the wireless headphones out. They're too heavy, and I don't want to break them. We'll find some much lighter standard headphones for the boy, and plug them in in back and leave them that way. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well, either my memory is faulty or something, but.

Last night I threw Apocalypse Now into the DVD player, turned on the car (to get the Kelton unit turned on), and turned on the speakers.

Works fine, with no loss of volume that I can tell.

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Well, either my memory is faulty or something, but.

Last night I threw Apocalypse Now into the DVD player, turned on the car (to get the Kelton unit turned on), and turned on the speakers.

Works fine, with no loss of volume that I can tell.
</font>
So, how do you like your subwoofer? Does it worth the m$ney?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I like the subwoofer, especially with the combination I use: I immediately switched out the front speakers and put in the Pioneer TS-A1655s.

The combination is very, very good for a drop-in plus factory setup.

If you just want the extra bottom end and aren't looking for a boom car, the Kelton unit is well worth the money. I could tell immediately after I got it installed and was able to turn it off and on to see the difference.

·
Registered
564 Posts
the Kelton unit is well worth the money. </font>
Where did you mount your Kelton?
thanks,

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
32 Posts
What if you want to also have the CD Changer and the subwoofer? I read through the instructions on the changer that it to is mounted under the driver's seat.

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES on
order, expected end of
October
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi (any takers?)

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's right where Honda specifies, underneath the driver's seat on its custom Honda mount.</font>
Thanks - I could have sworn I looked through the instruction sheet, and it was mounted under the Passenger seat (and would not fit if you had NAV or anything else under there). I guess I was confused with the CD changer that also goes under the driver's seat. Great news.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-26-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts