Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

Looks like I'm adding another car forum to my list of sites since we just picked up a 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite a few days ago.

Traded in our red 2010 CTS-V sedan...so the loss of ridiculous power kind of hurts - but the space and features in the Odyssey are making us forget about that pretty fast.

Anyhow - my first question for the forum since searching didn't show any results.

These are automatic transmissions obviously. Why if I'm pointed uphill on a slight incline, say at a traffic light - does the Odyssey want to ROLL BACKWARDS even though it is in drive if I take my foot off the brake?

I noticed this on an EX model I test drove at a different Honda dealership as well, so both the 5spd and 6spd transmissions do this. I was playing the rear camera feature and parking the Odyssey back in the spot it was at the dealership. I pulled in, then had to swing around so I could reverse into the spot. I put it in reverse, take my foot off the gas to give it some gas to back up and I notice it is rolling forward down the slope. I had to use my left foot on the brake pedal, and right foot on the gas.

I've had a dozen or so automatic cars over the years, and have driven tons more that I didn't own - and every other Automatic trans would never want to roll backwards in drive, or roll forward in reverse...

What gives?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, forgot a pic, didn't find an edit button, so here it is:

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Welcome to the HONDA family. They all do that. Been discussed before in great detail with the prior gen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K...

Didn't want to beat a dead horse then. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't something broken in my transmission.

I've never had any other automatic car do that, so it was definately a little unnerving.

I've been in the Honda family for awhile now. I figure the Odyssey will make trips from AZ to Chicago to pick up people and their luggage for trips out to AZ a little easier than my other Honda's recent adventure...lol...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did just find this in a google search for the 2nd gen Odyssey stating this was a NORMAL issue...

These characteristics are normal; they should not require you to call your Honda dealer:
Vehicle may not hold its position when stopped on an incline in gear (may roll backward when the brake pedal is released). This can occur on most Honda-made vehicles. It is one of the measures used to improve fuel economy.
I can't figure out how allowing a car to roll backwards while in a forward gear and freaking out the driver would help with gas mileage....but if they say its ok, guess I'll have to get used to it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can't say I really noticed that, not to say my vehicle hasn't done, just never really noticed.

So, with the S2K and trailer...why did you buy an Odyssey? haha, j/k. Nice S2K, I take it those are CF panels and doors?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Whenever mine rolls back I shift to Drive 2, and it holds the position, whether or not the 2011 does that, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
To me, the torque converter should be in a relaxed/neutral state if you are not on the throttle. I'd be perfectly happy if it didn't even move forward when you took your foot of the gas.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I noticed this when I was parked on a slope and put it in reverse and the car started moving forward. I have not noticed it while in drive and on a slope, will pay attention next time that situation arises.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The new honda odyssey you've tested must be a 5/6speed on reverse. LOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, most of the panels on the S2K are CF now.

I'm sure I'll get used to having to left foot brake it. My left foot is still always hunting for a clutch anyways and that foot pedal E-Brake is lucky I remember quickly.

Where I live there are lots of sloped driveways and hills everywhere so I probably notice this a lot more than someone who lives in a flat area.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
These are automatic transmissions obviously. Why if I'm pointed uphill on a slight incline, say at a traffic light - does the Odyssey want to ROLL BACKWARDS even though it is in drive if I take my foot off the brake?
Welcome to the world of automatics. So, you used to own an M5 eater? :)

From Honda I believe only the Pilot and the CR-Z (manual transmission, Are you kidding me? LOL) come with the Hill Start Assist (Wikipedia: the Pilot has a Hill Start Assist system which maintains brake pressure when the brake pedal is released, giving the driver time to engage the accelerator)

While rolling back seems to be a normal thing on automatics (w/o the hill assist of course) I believe it is felt more on the Odysseys as they are just very heavy boats.

And, so you don't feel that out of place, the Nissan GT-R also comes with Hill Start Assist :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome to the world of automatics. So, you used to own an M5 eater? :)

From Honda I believe only the Pilot and the CR-Z (manual transmission, Are you kidding me? LOL) come with the Hill Start Assist (Wikipedia: the Pilot has a Hill Start Assist system which maintains brake pressure when the brake pedal is released, giving the driver time to engage the accelerator)

While rolling back seems to be a normal thing on automatics (w/o the hill assist of course) I believe it is felt more on the Odysseys as they are just very heavy boats.

And, so you don't feel that out of place, the Nissan GT-R also comes with Hill Start Assist :D

I hope you meant M3?:coolio:

he has CTS-V

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, CTS-V beat the M5, but now we're hearing with the newest M5 that BMW is claiming it will do the 'Ring in 3 seconds faster than the Caddy's record breaking 7:59:32...

Guess that just means Cadillac will come back with something extra special in the ATS or next CTS, so we'll be keeping our eyes out if we feel like getting back into a V in the next few years.

The rake of the back of the rear doors just made it ridiculously hard to fit a newborn baby in the back. We switched to the snap in carry style baby seat and that didn't make it any easier...

I'm just happy the Odyssey has some decent pep to it and doesn't feel too much like a tug boat on the road.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

I'm just happy the Odyssey has some decent pep to it and doesn't feel too much like a tug boat on the road.
Yikes, that sucks for the kid sitting in there and for the parent trying to buckle him/her

Yes, the cars are now theirs, not mine anymore. They are comfortable and safe and we can get them in-n-out easily (and in seconds) without leaving the garage... that minivan owner stigma vanished rather quickly, even when is automatic and rolls back :p

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi all...

Looks like I'm adding another car forum to my list of sites since we just picked up a 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite a few days ago.

Traded in our red 2010 CTS-V sedan...so the loss of ridiculous power kind of hurts - but the space and features in the Odyssey are making us forget about that pretty fast.

Anyhow - my first question for the forum since searching didn't show any results.

I noticed this on an EX model I test drove at a different Honda dealership as well, so both the 5spd and 6spd transmissions do this. I was playing the rear camera feature and parking the Odyssey back in the spot it was at the dealership. I pulled in, then had to swing around so I could reverse into the spot. I put it in reverse, take my foot off the gas to give it some gas to back up and I notice it is rolling forward down the slope. I had to use my left foot on the brake pedal, and right foot on the gas.

I've had a dozen or so automatic cars over the years, and have driven tons more that I didn't own - and every other Automatic trans would never want to roll backwards in drive, or roll forward in reverse...

What gives?
This is normal behavior for many automatic transmission vehicles. Even my new Infiniti M56X will roll backwards while in drive if on a steep or semi - steep hill. Same with my Vette which has automatic trans.

Sorry to hear about the 2010 CTS-V... you must have lost a decent amount of $$ trading in a 1 yr old car.... There was no way you could have kept it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup, CTS-V beat the M5, but now we're hearing with the newest M5 that BMW is claiming it will do the 'Ring in 3 seconds faster than the Caddy's record breaking 7:59:32...

Guess that just means Cadillac will come back with something extra special in the ATS or next CTS, so we'll be keeping our eyes out if we feel like getting back into a V in the next few years.

The rake of the back of the rear doors just made it ridiculously hard to fit a newborn baby in the back. We switched to the snap in carry style baby seat and that didn't make it any easier...

Thats nothing, I've fit my kids in many a 2 door car.. more challenging that than 4 door... Once you get used to it, no big deal. I wouldn't have taken the financial hit in getting rid of a 1 yr old car for the van. But as they say, to each their own...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts