Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone. New to Odysseys and new to the forum, but far from new to owning, tinkering and playing with Hondas and other makes. My most fun build was a 2010 Genesis that I ended up blowing up after going a bit too far with the boost (oops). Current project is a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 that’s been in my family since ‘89.

I don’t plan on doing any modifications with this van as it’s just gonna be a kid hauler (my wife and I are expecting number 3 this December).

We just bought a 2016 EX-L last week with 33k miles. I’ve been reading around a bit to see what the best things to do, maintenance and convenience wise would be as I don’t really know the maintenance history of the vehicle. Seems like top of the list is a tranny drain and fill? Is it worth doing a 3x given I don’t know much about it or what do y’all suggest for a new owner? The transmission seems to lurch between 1-2 and 2-3. It’s not a jerk or a bang but just not as smooth as I would expect it to be so I figure the fluid viscosity isn’t quite up to par.

Anyways, cheers and thanks for having me on the forum. Hope to learn about the vehicle and give back where I can!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
software update for the transmission... 3x drain fills, DW1 or Valvoline Maxlife or a combination of both.

recent similar thread on the subject...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
software update for the transmission... 3x drain fills, DW1 or Valvoline Maxlife or a combination of both.

recent similar thread on the subject...
Thanks big timer. I read through the thread you mentioned, and that's where I learned about the 30k mile interval for trans, etc. Rather than hijack his thread with my question of 3x vs 1x, I figured I'd introduce myself here. Luckily my old high school buddy essentially owns a dealership (owner is his Father in Law) so I can get the update done without any symptoms or push back. I had planned on getting that done if the trans service didn't smooth anything out. I was going to do a 1x, but if 3x is the recommended, I'll def do that. Anything else you suggest for a new owner to do given the mileage? I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my intro thread. Now to go read about this VCM stuff other people mentioned. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks big timer. I read through the thread you mentioned, and that's where I learned about the 30k mile interval for trans, etc. Rather than hijack his thread with my question of 3x vs 1x, I figured I'd introduce myself here. Luckily my old high school buddy essentially owns a dealership (owner is his Father in Law) so I can get the update done without any symptoms or push back. I had planned on getting that done if the trans service didn't smooth anything out. I was going to do a 1x, but if 3x is the recommended, I'll def do that. Anything else you suggest for a new owner to do given the mileage? I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my intro thread. Now to go read about this VCM stuff other people mentioned. Cheers!
a pleasure...
lots of helpful folks around here, who are passionate gearheads and enjoy helping out.
:)

if the maintenance history is unknown for the transmission and it's exibiting issues, start off with 3x drain fills over a week period then go from there. It's a low cost low risk DIY option to rule out as a cause.

your mileage is low, so not much to do except follow the maintenance minder intervals, and possible power steering and brake fluid flush.
I do that every 3-5 years on my vehicles.

I'm sure you have combed over all the TSB's for that model year, if not check them out.

If you have NAV on your model and care, update the maps. Maybe your highschool buddy can swing a deal on that.

Will let the other legends around here, chime in for what I missed.

Cheers

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome and once the trans stuff is taken care of, order a Muzzle ASAP.

And consider a Transmission Cooler too, check the threads on this subject too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Took the time these past few nights at work to read and research. Ended up pulling the trigger on a VCM Tuner II and ordered some maxlife ATF. Haven't committed to a trans cooler yet. Might be worth it living down here in Louisiana, but I don't ever plan on towing or hauling a full loaded van.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man oh man, I had to do a double take to make sure I was draining ATF instead of oil. This stuff was dark. Drives way differently now. Can’t wait to get the VCMtuner in and see what difference that makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Man oh man, I had to do a double take to make sure I was draining ATF instead of oil. This stuff was dark. Drives way differently now. Can’t wait to get the VCMtuner in and see what difference that makes.

Yup - looks like you got that ATF changed in the nick of time. It's not supposed to look like that. Couple more D&Fs and you'll be set for a while. (y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the recommendation to add a transmission cooler. Even if you don't tow, heat kills transmissions, and an aftermarket cooler is really cheap and very easy to install. I have a transmission and power steering cooler hooked to mine. Also If you do decide to add a cooler, add an inline magnefine transmission filter 3/8" size as extra insurance. I have a filter for my transmission and another on my power steering line. Might be overkill but its easy and cheap to do. Anyway enjoy your new oddy!.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Louisiana, yeah, a BIG transmission cooler! ;)

Put some miles on the 1x trans fluid swap, do the 2nd, miles than the third. You'll notice a big difference in shifting, no doubt. And the Muzzle once installed too, on our '16 EXL you could "feel" the VCM kick in and out; not anymore!

I'm also running a ScanGuage II to monitor the Trans Fluid Temp, and a few other items. This is another nice addition to an Odyssey, some kind of OBDII interface/monitoring tool just to keep an eye on things.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Louisiana, yeah, a BIG transmission cooler! ;)

Put some miles on the 1x trans fluid swap, do the 2nd, miles than the third. You'll notice a big difference in shifting, no doubt. And the Muzzle once installed too, on our '16 EXL you could "feel" the VCM kick in and out; not anymore!

I'm also running a ScanGuage II to monitor the Trans Fluid Temp, and a few other items. This is another nice addition to an Odyssey, some kind of OBDII interface/monitoring tool just to keep an eye on things.

Enjoy!
Yeah, it’s hot down here like all the time. Haha. I might do the cooler. My wife was very anti-van, which is why I bought used. but with #3 showing up this December I needed a vehicle that housed 3 car seats and allowed easy access to the third row for my eldest. However, now that I’ve brought it home and she’s driving it consistently, she absolutely loves it. So I think we will keep it for a long time.

I think my VCMtuner II is delivering Tuesday. Which will be nice since I’ll be off work. I can install that and do another drain and fill. How do y’all get the trans coolers to attach to the radiators? Or is there a bracket or specific odyssey cooler package that people buy?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
How do y’all get the trans coolers to attach to the radiators? Or is there a bracket or specific odyssey cooler package that people buy?
The following thread contains Mel's PDF installation document for a Tru-Cool LPD 4452 Transmission Oil Cooler on a 2001 Honda Odyssey. I used these instructions for a 2006 EX-L and plan to pull them out again when I install a Tru-Cool 4454 on my 2017 EX-L. There is no question that the after market Tru-Cool coolers are more robust than the Honda OEM ATF coolers. Apparently the 4454 is the largest that will fit in a Gen 4, so go big or stay home. :)

The doc itself can be found here, but the thread is worth scanning for additional information.

At the time that I did my 06, I didn't feel confident enough to do the plumbing in my own driveway, so after I installed the physical cooler, I took it to a local tranny shop and let them do the plumbing. They used the barbed connectors mentioned in the installation notes. This time, I'll be working with my indy mechanic to do the install and he suggested new, direct hoses for a better look and less chance of a leak. I did have a minor leak at one of my barb connectors after about 5 years, but a screw driver took care of that issue. (We'll also be installing the Draw-Tite 76025 hitch, which fits behind the rear bumper facade. It'll be nice to do this install with the van on a lift as opposed to in my driveway like the last time.)

I like the bracket mounting method as opposed to the push-through mounting tabs since the brackets allow for more airflow around the cooler. That can't be a bad thing. I have yet to determine if the mounting brackets can be fashioned in the same manner since it's a different cooler and a different generation Ody, but I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got around to installing the VCMTuner and doing another drain and fill. Holy smokes, what a world of difference. I thought that it was better the first time, but this thing is a whole new vehicle now.

I had the opportunity to do a few quick test drives to see what the mileage difference would be. Interstate driving was hovering around 26mpg and surface/backroads was 21-22. I’ll take it! So pleased.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, got around to installing the VCMTuner and doing another drain and fill. Holy smokes, what a world of difference. I thought that it was better the first time, but this thing is a whole new vehicle now.

I had the opportunity to do a few quick test drives to see what the mileage difference would be. Interstate driving was hovering around 26mpg and surface/backroads was 21-22. I’ll take it! So pleased.

Just for comparison, SWMBO and I just completed our first road trip in our new-to-us CPO 2017 EX-L, purchased with 47.5K miles. The van is currently unmuzzled (unit should arrive today). I'm not sure when/if the ATF fluid was changed but I'll be doing a drain and fill when I install the ATF cooler (currently on order).

The trip was 360 miles over 3 days consisting of:

- 30 interstate miles
- 220 country road/small town miles, including some idling since we were sightseeing, deciding where to go next, short trips from here to there, keeping cool in the 90° heat, etc. i.e. MPG killers.
- 110 interstate miles

I broke up the mileage like that for a reason. During the 220 country road/small town miles I was averaging between mid-22's and low 23's. However, that avg MPG included the first 30 miles of interstate driving so it's probably skewed to the high side. During the final leg (110 interstate miles) the avg MPG (for the entire trip) climbed steadily and peaked at 24 MPG as I pulled in the driveway. I didn't think to set a separate trip for the last leg to isolate the interstate MPG from the rest of the trip. Maybe next time.

All in all, it sounds like my MPG was pretty close to where you ended up. The bottom line for me is that my avg MPG for this trip was higher than I used to get in my muzzled 2006 EX-L with 169K. Even if the 2017 drops a little once I install the Muzzler, I think I'll still do better than the 06.

Overall, we enjoyed the trip in out new van. I'm getting used to the key less entry/push button start, slowly erasing decades of muscle memory. My solution is to hang the fob from my belt loop with a carabiner clip, making it easily available to remotely open the windows, hatch and slider and then lock the car after SWMBO eventually gets out. :)

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts

So many people think we are "muzzler evangelists" or "Chicken Littles" or "transmission fluid obsessive/compulsives" or "kool-aid drinkers" when we tell people how these vans are absolutely transformed with just a little bit of extra care and effort, but it really is true. My experience is all with the 4th generation, but I understand now how our van was not as good as it could have been the day it rolled off the assembly line. It took a little bit more from me to truly maximize the potential that was there.

I'm very glad that you're pleased with your experience so far. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yes, love the van. I'll admit, I didnt think that little muzzle would make that much of a difference. Whoever had the van before me didn't fill the transmission up fully. My lazy butt decided to go off material balance on my first drain and fill rather than checking with the dipstick. So I was a quart low before I even took possession. Luckily this time I checked it while it was hot and realized my mistake. I'll probably do my last drain and fill with just the driver side jacked up so I get more fluid out. I have about 7 clean quarts in there. 5 more left in the garage to use.

My next project now tho is to swap out the drive belt. It doesn't look too bad, but I drove through some water today and lost power steering and the battery light came on. My first thought was the van died, lol. Should be a quick fix. Just hope I'm not losing a tensioner or something.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome to the club brother 💪 I'm glad u did the full homework and got educated on everything regarding new ownership of a Odyssey. Transmission drain and fill ! (I'm a believer!) And Muzzler, the shudder is most of the time fix by the VCMuzzler and 3 x drain and fill. Make sure you don't have any missing splash guard underneath the van. I'm in South Florida and even during crazy rain and puddles I have never had drive belt loose spin.

And once again welcome, I love this forum it feels like a motorcycle club, with the only difference that we all drive a Ody jejeje

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Oh yes, love the van. I'll admit, I didnt think that little muzzle would make that much of a difference. Whoever had the van before me didn't fill the transmission up fully. My lazy butt decided to go off material balance on my first drain and fill rather than checking with the dipstick. So I was a quart low before I even took possession. Luckily this time I checked it while it was hot and realized my mistake. I'll probably do my last drain and fill with just the driver side jacked up so I get more fluid out. I have about 7 clean quarts in there. 5 more left in the garage to use.

My next project now tho is to swap out the drive belt. It doesn't look too bad, but I drove through some water today and lost power steering and the battery light came on. My first thought was the van died, lol. Should be a quick fix. Just hope I'm not losing a tensioner or something.
for reference...
go with continental, contitech or mitsuboshi, avoid gates and dayco...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the club brother I'm glad u did the full homework and got educated on everything regarding new ownership of a Odyssey. Transmission drain and fill ! (I'm a believer!) And Muzzler, the shudder is most of the time fix by the VCMuzzler and 3 x drain and fill. Make sure you don't have any missing splash guard underneath the van. I'm in South Florida and even during crazy rain and puddles I have never had drive belt loose spin.

And once again welcome, I love this forum it feels like a motorcycle club, with the only difference that we all drive a Ody jejeje
Haha! This forum seems just as friendly as the Jeep forum I post on. I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary while being under it for the trans services. But I haven’t looked hard either. Plus I don’t know much of what all is supposed to be under there. Afaik the one shield in the front is intact. Dunno if there is anything else that is supposed to be there. But a belt is only $30. Even if it doesn’t do the trick, I’ll still take comfort in knowing that it’s brand new and should last for awhile.

Thanks for the diagram, Ticket!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts