Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, no problems just wanted to introduce myself. We purchased our new to us 2003 EX-L a couple weeks ago with 67k from the original owner (local buy, all paperwork!) and could not be more happy. It is Havasu Blue Metallic with gray leather. All maintenance up to date.

Just found the site looking for help with the power sliding doors. Was driving me crazy, would close but not retract and then just BEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP!

I did the reset, I did the battery disconnect, I lubricated everything and still nothing. Until I saw the little piece of scotch tape my three year old had stuck on one of the sensors. Problem solved.

I do have two questions; I want to make sure to keep the tracks lubricated so what are the does and do not's when doing PM on the automatic door system. I did some searching and found some ideas but nothing specific to my question.

Second, the PO had serviced the tranny at the dealer at 30 and 60k and I wanted to know (due to the common failures) if the dealer service adaquite?

Thank you again for you assistance!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Welcome, Lion. We have a couple Gen 2 Odys (2002 & 2003 EX's) and love 'em. Only 67,000 miles on your "new" Ody? Very good find, and I wish we had Havasu Blue on ours.

I use a teflon spray to keep the door tracks and rollers happy (top, center, and bottom). Works well on the cable, too, as the Dupont spray I use dries up, doesn't leave much of a residue, and is not sticky (does not attract dust). I don't believe Honda recommends it, but it works for me.

The Honda 30,000 and 60,000 mile service calls for multiple drains and refills of the transmission (4 times). There are some good threads on this, and the Honda service is adequate at replacing most of the fluid volume in the transmission.

A number of people do a single ATF drain and refill (just 1 time) with each oil change because it is so easy to do...your Ody has a drain plug you can plug your 3/8" ratchet into on the driver's side. Search for threads on ATF drain and refill...there's a lot of them. I'm changing mine every 7,500 miles with each oil change, which is about once every 10 months, since our Odys have the older transmission design (up through 2004, with many improvements in 2005 & 2006).

RinconVTR (one of our forum members) has a newer transmisson (2007 and later is a completely different, more robust transmission design), and he did some UOA's when he did a series of fluid changes of many miles...it was some good investigation on his part. Blackstone Labs, if I remember correctly, reinforced Rincon's well-investigated opinion that doing a single ATF drain and refill every 15,000 miles is better than doing the multiple (4 times) drain and refill every 60,000 miles on his newer Ody tranny (2007+). It keeps the ATF additives package fresh, and you end up, on average, with cleaner ATF.

There's lots more written about this. Search yields a lot on this forum. It's saved me a lot of money and time. Enjoy your family hauler.

OF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OF! One question for you, do your Michelin's quite your Oddy down? The PO has Toyo's installed and I find it a bit too loud from road noise.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I did not mind the stock Michelin Symmetry's, but I'd always owned noisy vehicles (heavily mod'd Fiat X1/9...always with the targa top removed; 1969 Corvette convertible; Dodge truck were my last ones) so I didn't know any better.

Once I put the Michelin Primacy's on our Odys, I noticed a pronounced reduction in road noise. We could actually talk without raising our voices too much while driving on the freeway.

To put it in perspective, I just bought a used 1998 Honda Accord with 174,000 miles on it, and it has Michelin Symmetry tires. They really are noisy, howling louder and louder as I accelerate. I thought it was the wheel bearings, but those checked good...it's the Symmetry's!

Bear this in mind, though...the Odyssey is not as quiet as a Sienna. It could use some sound deadening material in the doors and underfloor area. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have any, or very little.

OF

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just to add a little to the tire portion of the thread, I've had Toyo tires in the past on my 300ZX and Audi A4, and they were a little louder than some other tires I've had, although they were a performance tread pattern which may have contributed. I didn't think they were too bad, certainly not as loud as the Falken Ziex tires I had a couple years ago (sounded like a chainsaw in each wheelwell - overall the Audi sounded like a WWII prop bomber on the highway). I have Kumhos on the Ody (installed 130 miles before I bought it) and they drive very quietly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And I thought I was the only newbe. I too just bought an '03 with 64k on it. I'm trying to change the oil and am not sure where the plug is. The oil filter is incredibly simple :-D

I'll keep looking but if someone can post a pict, that would be great. I should get the Haynes book on this just like I did for my '98 Maxima with 170K!

·
Registered
463 Posts
No picture, but I can guide you to it. Turn your wheels hard right like you would to get to the filter, reach about a foot further toward the driver's side just beyond that steel beam running below the filter, and it's at the end of the black pan. I believe it's a 17mm, and I have changed mine many times without ever lifting the van. They made it pretty easy to do. Enjoy. This forum is great, but a manual will help, too. Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
For tires, I'm really enjoying the Federal FD1 tires. They are perfect for the minivan in terms of wear, grip, and smooth riding.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
anderma8 said:
.....I too just bought an '03 with 64k on it.....
Where are you people finding these deals??? Most excellent.

OF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the late reply - I'm just getting used to this forum:

tom34diy - Thanks for the tip! I ended up doing EXACTLY what you indicated and voila - easy as pie. One thing I'm sure not many people know: The Odyssey oil filter is the SAME one as a 1998 Nissan Maxima... go figure - now I don't have to have multiple oil filters!!!

OdyFamily - My brother's wife wanted an upgrade and only drove it in town. It's the next best thing to having a senior citizen drive it ... but don't tell her that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts