Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Board since I am a new Ody owner of about 48 hours. Previously drove a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan and absolutely loved it! It was totaled a week ago when I drove into a tornado (by accident) so I needed a new van. Planned on the Town & Country but just wasn't thrilled with it. On my way to pay for it, I decided to stop and look at an Ody, not knowing anything about availability. Was told there was a waiting list until November but wait - one came in with leather and the people wanted cloth! It was available. I drove it and bought it immediately. Within 2 hours, 2 other people went on the waiting list for that exact set-up. So, it was meant to be and I'm really happy with my decision.

Any information that you can pass along about the Ody would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
blb,
What part of Michigan. I live in Jackson and my Redrock pearl is in transit to be delivered next Wednesday. Saw one in Ann Arbor two days ago and it looked sharp. Not a good day to drive since its pouring out here and your Ody will get dirty.

·
Registered
329 Posts
blb,

poke around this site and you'll find all the information that you need to know (and more!) about the Ody.

I am really interested to see how the Ody compares to your Chrysler experience. You seem to like Chrysler enough to [almost] buy another one.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really interested to see how the Ody compares to your Chrysler experience. You seem to like Chrysler enough to [almost] buy another one.

I've been a die hard Chrysler/Dodge minivan owner since they first came out. My 96 was such a good vehicle that I had planned on keeping it (it only had 59,000 miles). It was dependable, handled beautifully, looked cute (it was purple) and at the end, kept me safe. So, that said, I'm really quite tickled with my new Ody! Granted it only has 82 miles on it but they've been quite enjoyable miles.

Down side - lousy speakers for the CD.
Down side - tiny, tiny cup holders for the driver and no little junk holder since there are holes in the bottom of the cup holders.
Up side - I can use the center console that I bought for my Dodge 2 weeks ago. With great cup holders!
Up side - love the disappearing rear seat. Since I remove the back seats entirely when I buy it, this gives me the option of using the 3rd seat when it's not loaded.
Up side - it's a peppy little thing! It handles so beautifully around town. Easy to park.
Up side - nice leather.
Up side - love setting the interior temp and letting it figure out how to keep it.
Down side - no compass and outside temp gauge. Solved that with the mirror with both on it. I think it's a Donnolly product.

So far so good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops - the following was a quote from the post above. New to this. I'll figure it out...

"I am really interested to see how the Ody compares to your Chrysler experience. You seem to like Chrysler enough to [almost] buy another one."

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Down side - lousy speakers for the CD.</font>
Agreed. Easy solution: get Pioneer TS-A1655 speakers for the front. They drop right in, screw right in, no cutting or altering. $45 for the pair. Five bucks more for wire harness adapters to plug them right in, and you're set.

Best $50 you'll ever spend.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Down side - tiny, tiny cup holders for the driver and no little junk holder since there are holes in the bottom of the cup holders.</font>
Agreed. I'm going to cut out some circular plastic pieces to fit in the bottom, to turn them into junk holders.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Up side - I can use the center console that I bought for my Dodge 2 weeks ago. With great cup holders!</font>
What did you buy and where?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Up side - love the disappearing rear seat. Since I remove the back seats entirely when I buy it, this gives me the option of using the 3rd seat when it's not loaded.
</font>
Amazing, isn't it? Why hasn't the rest of the industry taken off with this? It's so amazingly simple and effective. The very idea of asking me to physically remove the seat to make room is offensive. Chrysler's motto: "either people OR cargo, but not both". Thanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Down side - no compass and outside temp gauge. Solved that with the mirror with both on it. I think it's a Donnolly product.</font>
Yeah, I'd like to see that for myself, too. How much is the mirror you got?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't know about the price, but in the Tech section of this site are Chuck's illustrated instructions for installing the Donnelly mirror.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Donnelly mirror has the compass and the outside temp. Cost is about $200 + shipping. It took me about 1.5 hours to install it.

They have other options as well, including a mirror system that has cameras to monitor rear seat passengers and for seeing what is behind the van.

http://www.donnelly.com

Very much worth the time and energy.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up side - I can use the center console that I bought for my Dodge 2 weeks ago. With great cup holders!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you buy and where?

It came from the Autosport Catalog. I paid 59.95 but they just dropped the price to 49.95. I don't know how to add a picture here so this is the link to the page. It fits perfectly in the 2002 with the tray folded down. It also adds wonderful cup holders, small open storage and a large locked storage compartment as well as power outlets that can face the back. Looks good and very functional.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/product_detail.cfm?product_id=515

1 - 9 of 9 Posts