Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering out of all of the Ody owners that have had their Rear Motor Mounts replaced:

How many have had to replace it a third time?
If so, how many miles did the second one last?
And was the replacement mount the new part number - 50810-SHJ-A62 ?

Thanks for any feedback. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had to replace mine at 44k. Still going good as far as I know.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What are the symptoms of motor mounts going bad? Vibration? What kind of vibration should I be expecting?

So far the only vibration that I feel are through the steering wheel at 110 km/h. Speeds below or over that I don't feel any vibration.

·
Registered
755 Posts
the symptoms are similar as if the torque converter is going out. your entire car will shudder

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the symptoms are similar as if the torque converter is going out. your entire car will shudder
Its not so much a shudder as it is a constant low level hum or buzz. Like the feeling you get after you use a string timmer (weedwacker where I come from) and your hands have that wierd slight tingling feeling. That is the sensation that you feel thru the steering wheel. That and the whole floor under the dash and the dash itself has a really tight vibration to it and in my case causing the plastic dash components to rattle everytime the VCM was engaged.
ALL of this happens only when the VCM kicks in, that is when the rear motor mount is suppose to do its job of preventing the driver of feeling anything when the 3 cylinders are running. But when the rear mount is deflated and has the engine bracket resting directly on it, it transfers all of the vibration and sound into the cabin above, which happens to be directly under the center of the dash.
Hope any of this makes sense. :huh:

Note: ALL symptoms ceased after the mount was replaced.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does the symptom occur at any speed?

Its not so much a shudder as it is a constant low level hum or buzz. Like the feeling you get after you use a string timmer (weedwacker where I come from) and your hands have that wierd slight tingling feeling. That is the sensation that you feel thru the steering wheel. That and the whole floor under the dash and the dash itself has a really tight vibration to it and in my case causing the plastic dash components to rattle everytime the VCM was engaged.
ALL of this happens only when the VCM kicks in, that is when the rear motor mount is suppose to do its job of preventing the driver of feeling anything when the 3 cylinders are running. But when the rear mount is deflated and has the engine bracket resting directly on it, it transfers all of the vibration and sound into the cabin above, which happens to be directly under the center of the dash.
Hope any of this makes sense. :huh:

Note: ALL symptoms ceased after the mount was replaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, ANY speed as long as the engine is up to temp so that the VCM engages. When the ECO light comes on the dash, there is a about a 5 second delay, then the VCM engages and vibration begins :nothappy:. The vibration is felt immediately upon VCM engagement and is continued until gas is pressed to disengage the VCM.

Are you having this symptoms? If so, it is easy to check/rule out if the rear motor mount is your problem.

See the TSB 06-083 and do the filler guage check. On mine, I could NOT get anysize guage in, as the mount was resting on the bracket.

See this article too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I noticed mine when pulling away from stop, max torque on the engine mounts. Have less than 10k on mine so its still good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I only get the vibration at 110 km/h at highway speeds.

Cruising between 60 - 90 km/h with VCM engaged, no issues. I think mine right now is more of a balance issue.

The dealer told me that my tires are out of round. Funny cause this steering wheel vibration at 110 km/h happens with both set of tires (steelies + winter tire) and (alloy + all seasons).

All 8 tires can't be bad.

I'm sure it just a balance issue for me.

Yes, ANY speed as long as the engine is up to temp so that the VCM engages. When the ECO light comes on the dash, there is a about a 5 second delay, then the VCM engages and vibration begins :nothappy:. The vibration is felt immediately upon VCM engagement and is continued until gas is pressed to disengage the VCM.

Are you having this symptoms? If so, it is easy to check/rule out if the rear motor mount is your problem.

See the TSB 06-083 and do the filler guage check. On mine, I could NOT get anysize guage in, as the mount was resting on the bracket.

See this article too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wasn't able to Honda to cover the cost of replacing the mounts.

Having it replaced as I write this post. I'll report back to you on the results.

I couldn't stand the vibration+noise anymore so I have to eat up the cost of r/r the rear engine mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Cdn Touring.

Rear engine mount first replaced under TSB/warranty about 40,000 km. (25K miles)

Symptoms reappeared at around 120,000 km (75K miles) - waaay out of warranty.

Not expecting much, but wanting to avoid an expensive repair ($600-700 cdn) I first appealed to the dealer, who was sympathetic but said they'd have to contact Honda Canada.

I drove home and did the same, and the Honda rep said I'd need to have the problem formally diagnosed by the dealer. So back to the dealer, service history and TSB in hand, and sure enough they confirm that the mount is gone.

Call back to Honda and after a bit of back and forth they agree to cover the part while I pay for the labo(u)r. That's fair to me I say, and back I go to the dealer - total bill to me was ~$100.

I think the deciding factors may have been that (1) I'd already had this obviously defective part replaced once, and (2) I'd had most (almost all?) servicing done at Honda dealers, so they wanted to keep me happy. Your mileage may vary, but it's certainly worth stating your case and appealing to their sense of fairness.

Now if I could just get them to give me another (3rd) power steering pump & reservoir...

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's been a few days since the rear engine mount has been replaced.
Very clear the vibration is no longer present. Major $$$ to have it r/r.
If you have access to a lift it's an easy DIY. Since I don't, I had to shell
out the bucks.

Another problem noticed by the mechanic. Wheel bearing on the front may
be starting to go south on me. Tried to search if this is something I can do
since I have tools necessary to press in the bearings. Turns out it's more than I can chew. I'll let the pros do this one.

I wasn't able to get Honda to cover the cost of replacing the mounts.

Having it replaced as I write this post. I'll report back to you on the results.

I couldn't stand the vibration+noise anymore so I have to eat up the cost of r/r the rear engine mount.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Is this issue unique to cars with VCM only?

I have an LX model (and glad I bought LX instead of dealing with the VCM issue).

·
Registered
318 Posts
What was the cost to replace the motor mounts?

It's been a few days since the rear engine mount has been replaced.
Very clear the vibration is no longer present. Major $$$ to have it r/r.
If you have access to a lift it's an easy DIY. Since I don't, I had to shell
out the bucks.

Another problem noticed by the mechanic. Wheel bearing on the front may
be starting to go south on me. Tried to search if this is something I can do
since I have tools necessary to press in the bearings. Turns out it's more than I can chew. I'll let the pros do this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this issue unique to cars with VCM only?

I have an LX model (and glad I bought LX instead of dealing with the VCM issue).
Yes, it is. Only the VCM equipped models have the Rear Motor mount with the associated high costs.

I actually like the VCM and found it does improve mpg, but like anything else, its only good when it works as it was designed too. :rollingeyes:

Just hoping this new mount (substituted part number) is better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was the cost to replace the motor mounts?
I was quoted $825.00 at one Honda Dealer and $980.00 at the other. The second one said that they would have to drop the steering rack, thus requiring an alignment. Found this to not be the recommended way that Honda themselves says to replace the mount. I only paid my $75.00 ;) deductable on my 3rd party warranty I got when I bought used and took it to the first Honda Dealer.

Heres the kicker, which kinda pi$$ed me off. When the replacement was billed to the warranty company, they get the service at a discounted rate of $690.00, I paid $75.00 of it, leaving them with a $615.00 bill! Why can't I walk off the street and pay that vs. the $825.00. They'll screw me, the Honda owner, but not the 3rd party warranty company who has zero affiliation with Honda! :nothappy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replaced ours at 63,000. It was clunking into gear and ultimately jammed the #5 ignition coil and breaking the coil and spark plug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2005 Cdn Touring.

Rear engine mount first replaced under TSB/warranty about 40,000 km. (25K miles)

Symptoms reappeared at around 120,000 km (75K miles) - waaay out of warranty.

Not expecting much, but wanting to avoid an expensive repair ($600-700 cdn) I first appealed to the dealer, who was sympathetic but said they'd have to contact Honda Canada.

I drove home and did the same, and the Honda rep said I'd need to have the problem formally diagnosed by the dealer. So back to the dealer, service history and TSB in hand, and sure enough they confirm that the mount is gone.

Call back to Honda and after a bit of back and forth they agree to cover the part while I pay for the labo(u)r. That's fair to me I say, and back I go to the dealer - total bill to me was ~$100.

I think the deciding factors may have been that (1) I'd already had this obviously defective part replaced once, and (2) I'd had most (almost all?) servicing done at Honda dealers, so they wanted to keep me happy. Your mileage may vary, but it's certainly worth stating your case and appealing to their sense of fairness.

Now if I could just get them to give me another (3rd) power steering pump & reservoir...
wish i was i lucky enough to get the same consideration, have been going to the dealer over and over since 40K miles and had the Hondacare coverage till 75K miles (now 90K miles) and the dealers says oh yeah it is the rear motor mount. they are "willing" to give me 20% off recognizing their mistake. Honda of America won't help saying that their 20% from the dealer is all they can get and i am NOW out of the Hondacare warranty (gee, thanks).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts