Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sitting at my local Honda dealer right now for preventative service. They informed me that Honda will be recalling certian models of the Ody for the master cylinder issues. Yahoo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ironically, I too have my '06 EXL sitting at the dealership having a brake issue reviewed for my *7th* time and was just informed of the recall that unfortunately they tell me has no bearing on my current brake issue. Getting the rotors replaced yet again. Stealership blames driving habits. BS - as I drive only 1 mile each way to work and the "popping" noise comes back only 1 week after they *work* on it each time. I'm so sick of my van's brake issues!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have the VSA Module recall done recently. Per Honda, some air is introduced into the VSA Module at every start up. In retrospect, I think it was BS because no engineers in the right mind would design a brake system that introduces a bit of air at the start.

This recall makes a little more sense. If the supplier of Master Cylinder makes faulty part, then the seal leaks internally ---> brake pedal going down with application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an underlying complaint. Air contains water. Brake fluid is extremely hygroscopic in nature. Should Honda not completley flush the system with these two defects? I'm glad they are coming to the final repairs for this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this recall completed, they Flushed the system in its entirety and replacement of the master cylinder. I can tell that after having this done the brakes have more Positive feel. It was a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found this in Owner Link. A very specific issue, not a panacea for brake issues. I did have a shop do some brake work and my wife sometimes complains of a soft pedal. hmmm...

Statement by American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Regarding Brake Master Cylinder Seal Recall: Selected 2005 to 2007 Acura RL and 2005 to early 2007 Honda Odyssey Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif. – Oct. 22, 2010 – American Honda Motor Co., Inc., today announced a voluntary safety recall of 471,820 model year 2005 to 2007 Acura RL and model year 2005 to early 2007 Honda Odyssey vehicles to replace a seal in the brake master cylinder.

Honda made this decision to prevent the unlikely failure of a seal in the brake master cylinder. It is possible for the seal to fail if the Honda Genuine DOT 3 brake fluid installed at the factory is replaced with certain aftermarket brake fluids with reduced lubrication properties, followed by a manual brake bleed with full and rapid stroke of the brake pedal. This could cause the seal to become twisted within its retention groove. The twisted seal could then leak a small amount of brake fluid when the vehicle is used. A brake fluid leak due to this would cause the low brake fluid warning lamp to illuminate until repaired. Failure to repair the master cylinder seal would eventually result in a soft brake pedal and the possible loss of one of the two hydraulic braking circuits.

Drivers of affected vehicles should be aware that this condition will always cause the low brake fluid light to illuminate. If any of the vehicle’s malfunction indicators are illuminated, owners should take their vehicle to a dealer for repair immediately.

American Honda will begin to notify owners of affected vehicles within the next two months. Acura and Honda dealers will repair affected vehicles free of charge using a revised design of the brake master cylinder seal.

Owners are encouraged to contact their dealers for an appointment once notification is received by mail; owners of these vehicles can also periodically check for updates for Acura vehicles at www.recalls.acura.com or for Honda vehicles at www.recalls.honda.com. Acura owners can call (800) 382-2238; Honda owners can call (800) 999-1009 and select option number 4.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/maintenance/BrakeMasterCylinderSeal_recall2.asp

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Brakes are important

Very good info. http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A10-069.PDF

Would you be able to help other owners by posting the text here? Real info is better than speculation.
The link leads only to this totally useless stuff as below. Honda has blocked it again. Thanks.
You are not authorized to view the content on this page.
If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.
Please go back or return to the home page.
Found this recall at NHTSA:
Make: HONDA Model: ODYSSEY
Model Year: 2006
Manufacturer: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) Mfr's Report Date: OCT 21, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V504000
PE10004
NHTSA Action Number: PE10004
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Potential Number of Units Affected: 471820
Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 ODYSSEY AND ACURA RL VEHICLES. BRAKE FLUID CONTAINING POLYMERS IS USED THAT ACTS AS A LUBRICANT FOR CERTAIN BRAKE SYSTEM COMPONENTS. IF REPLACEMENT BRAKE FLUID IS USED THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN SUCH POLYMERS, OR THAT CONTAINS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS, A PART OF THE RUBBER SEAL LOCATED AT THE REAR OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY BECOME DRY, AND THE SEAL MAY CURL DURING MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON. IF THIS OCCURS, A SMALL AMOUNT OF BRAKE FLUID COULD SLOWLY LEAK FROM THE SEAL INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER.
Consequence:
A LEAK OF BRAKE FLUID COULD LEAD TO A CHANGE IN BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND OVERTIME A DEGRADATION IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER SEAL FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
SAFETY RECALL NO. R51 HONDA R52 ACURA. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2006&make=HONDA&model=ODYSSEY&component_id=72&TYPENUM=1&SUBMIT=Retrieve%20Recalls&summary=true&prod_id=219799&PrintVersion=YES

·
Registered
511 Posts
Oh boy...called Honda and they confirmed that my 2006 is included in the recall. Called dealer and I am now scheduled next Tuesday for the fix.

Thanks for the posted info everyone.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got mine done two weeks ago. I called to schedule a regular oil change and my dealer told me about the recall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts