Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports tested the new Sienna in it's last issue and it's been given a 79/80 score depending on the version (FWD/AWD). The previous generation had a score above 90!

That let CR to conclude that the 6 years old Odyssey now leads the category...!

So the best minivan on the market these days is clearly... the Odyssey!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Laphroaig said:
Consumer Reports tested the new Sienna in it's last issue and it's been given a 79/80 score depending on the version (FWD/AWD). The previous generation had a score above 90!

We'll have to wait and see after they test the 4th gen Ody. Maybe their standards have gone up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Laphroaig said:

Consumer Reports said that the Sienna was loud, if they think the Sienna is loud they should re-drive the Odyssey. Road noise is all you hear in the Odyssey.

It appears that consumer reports is using sensational headlines to draw attention to themselves. Most magazines are struggling to survive, and Consumer Reports is no different.

I am guessing that Toyota and Apples recent issues Consumer Reports noticed an up tick in web traffic to their sites when they criticized these two brands, and they are hoping by continuing to pound that drum they will get some more readers / money.

Consumer Reports have always been biased, it is now that they are siding against the brands they were biased towards.

Having owned a 2006 Odyssey EXL Nav and RES for 5 years, and now a 2011 Sienna XLE I can tell you that the Sienna is noticeably quieter. To me these vans were in the previous generation 1 and 1a, and that you can't go wrong with either, although neither are prefect.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it's unpleasant for someone how just bought a Sienna, but I think that CR is way ahead of any other in objective testing.

Their score is not just about road noise. You should note that CR talks about road noise for about all Honda models, Odyssey included. Is this a bias?

And how could you explain that the old Sienna had a good score? Bias? How can you explain that the Sienna is still the 2nd best choice? Bias?

It's simply that the sums of pros of the Ody is better than the one of the Sienna. There's more to a car than road noise...

The only unspeculative point you write isn't a point since CR agrees that the Ody makes road noise.

You may also note that the front page of the September issue in which they test the Sienna and the iPhone 4 is about... supplements. So long for the «sensational headlines» argument!!!

And do you think that CR should always give pleasant testing? Is that your definition of unbyassed testing? For now on, there should be no criticizing of any product by CR so that companies sales are unaffected by design cons?

What would happen this fall if they test the new Ody and give it a lower score than the Sienna?

Do you think that the Grand Caravan score is biased too?

And what is the bias of CR on Apple products? For or against? In the same issue in which they write that they can't recommend the iPhone 4, they also recommend a lot of Apple computers! And if what they note about the iPhone 4 is a bias, why then Apple tries to fix that? I guess that the recent problems that Toyota had are also only a bias?

Facts doesn't support your speculative theories...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Settle down guys. Once the 2011 Oddy comes out, most folks are going to look towards the Sienna due to the fugly design so what Consumer Reports says is going to be rather immaterial so I think. Also, a lot of little issues are going against Honda and since I don't see Honda wising up anytime soon, at the least my next purchase is NOT going to be a Honda product.

·
Registered
482 Posts
the biggest issue the ody has vs the sienna up here is price. you can get a base v-6 sienna for $29K. the base ody dx is $32K.

the second biggest issue is the lineup. the next ody up from the dx (the SE here) comes with dvd and goes for $37K. nothing in between. sienna has a few models in between that price gap.

not sure if the new sienna are decontented to make them cheaper or cheaper quality materials are being used but based on value i'd give the nod to the sienna over the ody.

CR opinion, like everything else, is a good point of reference. it isn't gospel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Laphroaig said:
Maybe it's unpleasant for someone how just bought a Sienna, but I think that CR is way ahead of any other in objective testing.
I am someone that spent money on a 2006 EXL in 2006 and I liked it better than the Sienna, that Consumer Reports liked better. I am guessing that you did too, since you bought a Ody. Have you driven the new Sienna?

Laphroaig said:
Their score is not just about road noise. You should note that CR talks about road noise for about all Honda models, Odyssey included. Is this a bias?
I was pointing out something that they made a bog deal about, that was blatantly wrong. Much of these test are subjective in nature, you do realize that don't you?

Laphroaig said:
And how could you explain that the old Sienna had a good score? Bias? How can you explain that the Sienna is still the 2nd best choice? Bias?
How can you explain that the old Sienna did so well and you who clearly live and die by what Consumer Reports says bought an Ody?

I looked at a 2006 Sienna and choose the 2006 Ody, what is your story?

Laphroaig said:
It's simply that the sums of pros of the Ody is better than the one of the Sienna. There's more to a car than road noise...
To you, it does. Like I said these vans are 1 and 1 a, and you can't go wrong either way.

Laphroaig said:
The only unspeculative point you write isn't a point since CR agrees that the Ody makes road noise.
Honda's as a rule are louder than Toyota's, I have owned several of each.

Laphroaig said:
You may also note that the front page of the September issue in which they test the Sienna and the iPhone 4 is about... supplements. So long for the «sensational headlines» argument!!!
Not sure how it is up there but here the local news papers and local TV stations pick up on stores from consumer reports, add that to the blogs and forums and them picking someone other than Toyota and Apple are news. How long have you been in the media?

Laphroaig said:
And do you think that CR should always give pleasant testing? Is that your definition of unbyassed testing? For now on, there should be no criticizing of any product by CR so that companies sales are unaffected by design cons?
I think that CR should do what the want to do. As a consumer I read everything I can get my hands on, and then I drive the final handful and make up my own mind.

I do remember CR blasting a Ford Ranger while giving a B2300 Pu from Mazda a much, much better review. I guess they liked the grille better.

Laphroaig said:
What would happen this fall if they test the new Ody and give it a lower score than the Sienna?
I guess we will have to put you on suicide watch ;) you seem to get real wrapped up in what they have to say.

For most people it will just be more info to digest.

Laphroaig said:
Do you think that the Grand Caravan score is biased too?
I was not talking about the Grand Caravan, nor was I considering one.

Laphroaig said:
And what is the bias of CR on Apple products? For or against? In the same issue in which they write that they can't recommend the iPhone 4, they also recommend a lot of Apple computers! And if what they note about the iPhone 4 is a bias, why then Apple tries to fix that? I guess that the recent problems that Toyota had are also only a bias?
I was saying that by going against brands that CR normally endorses that CR was making headlines, because it was out of the ordinary.

Laphroaig said:
Facts doesn't support your speculative theories...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
;) ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Jeez. Had to fix so many quotes. Next time, remember the tags too. ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
ive never driven a new sienna nor the old one, but IMO,

'11 ody is A LOT quieter compart to our 05. Literally, i was

asking myself that if i was in an ody. I BARELY hear any wind

noise nor road noise. All i hear is my music playing, even on its

low volume. i was very surprised.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That Sienna guy is a crack up! Suicide watch...lol!

My 08 Ody is near dead quite? Not sure if I am a tripper but after owning a few luxury cars, I think they have done a good jon on my EX-L. My 08 CRV is a loud bish on the other hand.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nor_Cal_Guy said:
That Sienna guy is a crack up! Suicide watch...lol!

My 08 Ody is near dead quite? Not sure if I am a tripper but after owning a few luxury cars, I think they have done a good jon on my EX-L. My 08 CRV is a loud bish on the other hand.
are you still running oem tires on your v?

because ive had a set of conti 4x4 on mine, and ....................

those wore out in like 20k miles and sounded like a monster

truck................ and my friends 2wd had a set of bridgestone

duelers on it and they were.............. almost sounded like a

monster truck. but after getting a set of michelin latitudes,

they were whew!! DEAD SILENCE. except some wind noise of

course

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, facts :

The old and the new Ody scores higher than the new Sienna

Edmunds (not CR!) found something like a 1.5 db between the old Ody and the new Sienna. I've no number between the new Ody and the new Sienna.

Sad for TX WJ, but those are the facts. I don't care what «facts» his imagination creates!

BTW, I hope my rental car tomorrow will be a Sienna...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts