Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New Spark Plugs, New Burning Smell

274 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Juggawut
I searched the forum, and I didn't see this question, so I am posting it here.

I just installed Denso spark plugs, and after doing a test drive, I smell a plastic-type burning smell when I pulled back into the garage. The car ran smooth and idled well during the test drive.

I have changed spark plugs before with these exact brand spark plugs 45k miles ago, and I don't remember there being a burning smell with new spark plugs. The smell is not overwhelming, but I definitely noticed it when I got out of the car, and I didn't smell it inside the cabin - only when I got out.

I installed the spark plugs and I added dielectric grease to the connection from the ignition coil to the clip. The smell was not there before I changed the spark plugs.

2009 LX, 210k miles.

Any thoughts? Will this smell go away? Should I be concerned? Thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2003 EX-L
Joined
·
3,911 Posts
Take a good look under the hood for ANYTHING you might have moved while doing the plug change.
Did you do any other work on the Ody at the same time.
Like leave a Crispy Creme donut on the exhaust??? :eek: :)
Buffalo4
PS: Krispy Kreme is the correct spelling. :eek::cool:o_O:LOL:
 

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Joined
·
7,290 Posts
Purist here will say you need to install the NGK and not Densos......
Not necessarily...some came with Denso from the factory.
 
  • Like
Reactions: greys932

· Registered
2009 Honda Odyssey LX, 210k Miles
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purist here will say you need to install the NGK and not Densos......

That being said, you know what you need to do...

Pull the spark plugs out, inspect them and smell them.
I thought I had replied to this, so I apologize if this ends up being a duplicate - If I take them out and smell them, then what? Do they need to be tightened more? Would it be a faulty spark plug? What am I looking for?
 

· Registered
2009 Honda Odyssey LX, 210k Miles
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take a good look under the hood for ANYTHING you might have moved while doing the plug change.
Did you do any other work on the Ody at the same time.
Like leave a Crispy Creme donut on the exhaust??? :eek: :)
Buffalo4
Hahaha - Krispie Kreme would be a better smell I think? I did add more power steering fluid while I had the hood popped, but other than that I didn't do any other work or move anything other than the spark plugs. I did have a towel down on the engine as I was leaning over the hot engine to do the sparkplugs in the back - I have used that towel for oil changes as well, so maybe something transferred onto the engine while I was laying on it. Maybe I'll just drive it more and hope the smell goes away 😬🤪
 

· Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
Run the engine with the hood open. Look for smoke. Oil and plastic have very distinct smells.

By chance did you leave a plastic packaging sleeve on one of the spark plugs? Or all of them? They do slide right off when you take them out of the box but anything's possible...or even if one fell between a cat and it's heat shield...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top