Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New struts and shocks all around

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  robtwalsh 
#1 ·
after 153k, decided to remove and replace my suspension system. getting the customary clunking from the front end and creaking from my rear (vans rear). oppted for new LCA's about a year ago from rock auto but just recently had to replace both lower ball joints as they failed (MOOG unit). replaced those joints with another MOOG balljoint but the replacement included a snap ring unlike the one on the LCA they sent me. front end clunk gone. while i did the LCA ball joint replacement, decided to do the front struts at the same time. old out new Gabriel quick struts in. replaced the outer control arms and sway bar links too. no issues with the install, however the creak abit when turning,,resolved, sprayed some lube in from the top and quieted them down.. have also replaced rear shocks to with Gabriel. straight forward job but compressing that new shock and holding it in place while installing was a bit of a bear. old original shocks were dead.. compressed them and they did not expand back to full length.

#2 ·
over a year now and shocks and struts are very good. decided to overhaul the original LCA's and install Moog problem solver bushings for the rear compliance bushing. if you don't know what the problem solver compliance bushing is, its like a big ball joint, very robust, instead of being like the original mounted in rubber, that tears all the time.,, well, reinstalled to original overhauled units and drove it to LA and back this weekend and they felt great. Lets see how long these last.

#4 ·
i read alot of the reviews here on this site and the majority of options folks mentioned were OEM, Monroe, and KBY. OEM was way expensive, Monroe seemed to be hit and miss with poor longevity with KBY being the better option but, there were mentions of harsher rides, so i wanted another option and settled on Gabriel. ALso, consider struts are only part of the suspension system. don't forget the ball joints, and the LCA bushings, and the quality of the tires.

#5 ·
just changed the compliance bushings to moog problem solvers (really nice parts, made in Japan), the ball joints are in good shape. endlinks and sway bar bushings changed also. strut mounts in good shape, H&R springs installed.

when it's time to do struts, I'm likely to do a custom build on a strut with a shorter body, slightly lower spring perch, and custom Koni yellow adjustable damper.

#7 ·
update: now at 221K miles and have replaced the Gabriels with KYB. front struts were tired and rear shocks caused some cupping in the tires. after I pulled the rear shocks, I compressed them and they still held pressure, but one would hang up as it expanded (explains the tire cupping) and they both made creaking noises as they flexed. have had the KYB's on the front longer than the rear shocks and up to now I am pleased with front and rear.

#8 ·
Thanks for the update. Original owner of 2001. At around 90,000 miles, Wheel Works, said my shocks were gone. (hindsight, they probably lied), Anyways, they installed Monroe. Currently have 212,000 miles. Van ride/tire all seem
fine. Maybe, time for new shocks.

Wheel works, guarantee's shocks for life, BUT not the labor to install. Darn.

#9 ·
My 58645 Monroe Load Adjust Shock Absorbers: lasted less than 40k miles and caused serious cupping on my rear tires before I noticed how bad they were.
I need to check on possibly installing new rear coil springs since the rear tires are also wearing badly on the inside. Damn!!
To get a new set under warranty, I believe you have to physically take them to a Monroe dealer. Well over one hundred miles for me. I bought another set and will return the old ones if I EVER get close to a Monroe dealer. :eek:
Buffalo4

#12 ·
didn't get them from AZ,, all lasted about the same amount of time. wanted to try something else so KYB this time. so far im pleased with them. more pleased than i was with the Gabriels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.