Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New tires for 2020 EX-L biased for snow

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kandiru 
#1 ·
It's time to replace my OEM tires because the treads are getting thin. I have just over 38k miles on my odometer now. Most of the miles were driven in the winter because of skiing. In hindsight, I should have gotten an SUV. We did not know we would wind up skiing every weekend when we bought our minivan. Since we always stay at resorts, we never had any trouble getting there as long as the roads were open for everyone else. I have considered snow tires. I decided against them mainly because I have no space to store an extra set of tires. Now I am considering a new set of Michelin CrossClimate 2. I would like to hear some opinions or experiences. Thanks.

#3 ·
I have the Michelin Cross Climate 2 and even though we have had a mild winter with only 2 - 6" snowfalls with other relatively small amount of snows less than 2" each found these tires to work great. Understanding, yes, you still can spin them... a liitle acceleration and they grip great. I have not use the snow mode either. Rain they are excellent, and in the dry they really grip on the pavement. Comfort they are better definately than the OEM. Someone else on the ODY Forum said they mad more noise, but I have not noticed it.

#4 ·
I have CrossClimate2s on my VW Golf and had no issue getting around when we got about 6 inches of snow earlier this year. I was working night shift so I was heading home before the plows got out and I made it home fine, just took it easy. I'll likely get them on my Odyssey when it's ready for new tires.

#5 · (Edited)
We drove through the snow, reasonably thick although somewhat plowed but still driving on a good layer of snow and while snowing, in Flagstaff, Arizona 15,000' above sea level, during Christmas of 2019-2020 where there's also snowboarding/skiing and we got by fine. Just like the previous poster we simply drove slower and took it easy. People with lifted trucks were driving like crazy and stuck in the snow, not realizing their idiocy for driving fast.
We had all-season tires equipped at the time and they were Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus from Costco. They were okay but bump-absorption during non-snow driving could've been better, although a lil smoother on bumps than Continentals.

Keep in mind my Odyssey came with 17" wheels, not 18" So my tire size is slightly girthier (thicker sidewall at i think 65) Im glad i don't have 18", The ride quality on my Odyssey isn't smooth enough to go that low IMHO. The Toyota Sienna maybe, but the Odyssey, meh. Then again the newer generations could be different and i haven't rode in one that new.
Our previous minivan was a 2000 Oldsmobile Silohette, had i think 16" wheels, rode smoother, got better gas mileage, factory privacy glass (just like the Sienna), and had more power. And i think it had Goodyear tires on it, too.

A previous poster said Costco's exclusive Michelin X's are the same as the Michelin Defender's LTX for cheaper but i disagree. They're different tires, have slightly different tred design, so idk why one would think they'd label two different tires if they're the same.
That being said, my brother has X's mounted on his 2016 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 black limited edition (which would be excellent for the snow) and they seem to work great on dry road, although he's only had the car for a year or two.

My recommendation is checkout TireRack.com they have a tire shopping assist tool and they do real-world testing with recorded data and specs, more specs than Discount Tire or Costco give you. As far as research, but as far as purchasing, you can purchase from whoever you like.

#6 ·
Keep in mind my Odyssey came with 17" wheels, not 18" So my tire size is slightly girthier (thicker sidewall at i think 65) Im glad i don't have 18", The ride quality on the Odyssey isn't smooth enough to go that low IMHO. The Toyota Sienna maybe, but the Odyssey, meh. Then again the newer generations could be different and i haven't rode in one that new.
Our previous minivan was a 2000 Oldsmobile Silohette, had i think 16" wheels, rode smoother, got better gas mileage, factory privacy glass (just like the Sienna), and had more power. And i think it had Goodyear tires on it, too.

A previous poster said Costco's exclusive Michelin X's are the same as the Michelin Defender's LTX for cheaper but i disagree. They're different tires, have slightly different tred design, so idk why one would think they'd label two different tires if they're the same.
That being said, my brother has X's mounted on his 2016 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 black limited edition (which would be excellent for the snow) and they seem to work great on dry road, although he's only had the car for a year or two.

My recommendation is checkout TireRack.com they have a tire shopping assist tool and they do real-world testing with recorded data and specs, more specs than Discount Tire or Costco give you.
The 5th generation is pretty different with the lower trims getting 18" and the Touring and Elite on 19". They still ride very comfortable and quiet although I am sure there are some bad tires out there.
The 19" aren't bad at all which is saying something since I also have an Xterra with squishy 4x4 tires and a F-350 with 20" E rated tires that rides like a tank.
Tire Rack reviews and rating are the best source as you said but it is hard to beat Costco if you have one local for free balancing and rotations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.