Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Odyssey in need of new tires. I might have an opportunity at 4 almost new tires from my parents on a car of theirs that just died and isn't worth fixing anymore. Their car has 225/60R16 tires and the Odyssey says it uses 215/60R16. Can I use their tires instead of buying new ones? Or is it not safe to put the 225/60R16 onto the van?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,921 Posts
The new tires will be slightly bigger in diameter as well as width, so your speedo/odo will read a couple of percent lower than normal. Probably not a problem there.

More importantly, check that the load and speed ratings on the new tires are OK. I don't know what they are for the Honda, but for example, my other car needs 94V, where 94 indicates the load (weight bearing capacity) and V is the max speed the tire is rated for. These codes will be on the tire sidewall. Even if you don't plan any street racing or load hauling, if the tires are too squishy, the handling will be bad, it may not track straight, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The 99-01 Ody's use 215/65-16's and the 02-04 Ody's use 225/60-16's. You should be just fine. Odometer will be off a tiny bit though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently I couldn't remember what I looked at, but my tires at 215/65R16 and they are a 96T for the load. From what I can see on new tires for my parent's care, they are a 225/60R16 97S. I saw on some websites where they said if you go from a 215 to a 225, you should decrease the second number by 5, ie 65 to 60. This would be the logic switching tires would be. Is it safe and/or efficient to go from 96T to 97S? Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts