Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace the tires on my 2000 Ody. My chief complaint with the Symmetrys that came with the van are the road noise, esp on concrete, and also ride quality. Any ideas on what to go with. I want to stay with the MIchelins, but will consider others. Has anyone tried the Goodyear Aquatreds? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
New tires already?
Symmetry is rated at 500(tread rating) which is very good.
My Acura's stock tire is 220 and it's more than 3 years old and almost 58000km and they still have some life left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the Firestones with the Symmetrys, and found that the ride improved alot. Don't put on the Firestones!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by porschetr:
New tires already?
Symmetry is rated at 500(tread rating) which is very good.
My Acura's stock tire is 220 and it's more than 3 years old and almost 58000km and they still have some life left.
</font>
I have put 50,000 miles on them in the 19 months that I have had my Ody. The dealer tells me that the tires will be good for another 20,000 miles, but with a baby on board for many of those miles, I would rather just change them and have a little peace of mind.

What about the Aquatreds by Goodyear? Anyone try them on an ODyssey?

Regards,

HP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Aquatreds might be a good choice in the rainier areas of the country like Seattle (or Houston recently!) but generally there are some very good tires that do well in both wet and dry. I recommend checking out www.tirerack.com and look at the different tires in the size you want. By getting more of a performance tire you can generally get a more responsive ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This past December I replaced those yucky OEM Firestone Affinity's with Pirelli P400, equivalent sized at P225/60 on our '99 EX. (These tires were rated decently in Consumer Reports a while back).

The slightly lower sidewall profile did not make the ride noticeably harsher. But the wider footprint signifcantly improved cornering. Wet traction is confident. Snow traction average, road noise relatively quiet. When I had them installed they were so good that two of the tires did not require any weights for balancing! (I was skeptical, but so far, after rotating at 8,000 miles they are wearing well).

The P400 model was a little hard to find in local tire stores and retailers. But I found a very good price on-line at Discount Tire Direct (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/discount.splash.html) Even with delivery and having a local shop mount & balance I saved a few $$. (And a lot over my usual fav, Michelins.)

I've had Michelin's on several cars before, including an Accord, and highly regard a couple of their models. But so far, on the Oddyssey, these Pirelli's have been excellent. And even better at the price.

Best wishes in your hunt.
-Doug-

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've used GOODYEAR in the past and hate them! why anyone still buys goodyear is beyond me!

I use Yokohama mostly, and have used Dunlop and Michelin. Yokos are THE nicest tires I have used! racing or otherwise.....

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo ZC
2000 Odyssey LX, working on tons of mods

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, the Symmetry's are junk in my opinion. Go with Yoko Avid's or esp. Continental CH95 (great tire for the money).

Also, if you Plus-0 size, don't necessarily stick with 225/60's - check the rolling diameters of all the sizes and you will see that this varies greatly (you also need to account for tread depth). At www.tirerack.com the numbers appear dubious between brands.

[This message has been edited by Suite_Ride (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What about 225/60-16, Michelin Pilots: XGT series? And Michelin MXV4's?

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have about 24k miles on our 00 Nav and there is probably about 6-8k of tread before the wearbars on the Michelins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If performance, noise, ride comfort and price(in that order) are important factors in considering your next set of tires, I'd highly recommend the new Yokohama AVS DB in size 225/60WR16. It's a Z-rated "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tire which is also Yoko's quietest tire, hence the "DB (for decibel)" designation. PERFORMANCE: Comparable to Michelin Pilot XGT V4 while being much cheaper and quieter. Light years ahead of the stock Michelin Symmetry. The 225/60 size also gives you a slightly wider contact patch while maintaining overall diameter for speedometer's accuracy (26.7in vs. 26.8in for the Symmetry).
NOISE: As quiet as Michelin's most quiet tire, the MXV4, but again much cheaper and much higher grip, as the MXV4 is strictly a "Touring" tire. One of the by-product of the hard rubber compound used to achieve the claimed tread life in the Symmetry is Noise.
RIDE COMFORT: The Yoko AVS DB is arguably the softest riding "Ultra High Performance" tire on the market right now, due to its unique sidewall design. PRICE: $96 at the TireRack (Discount Tire's price similar), which puts it within a few bucks of the Symmetry. DRAWBACK? yes, with a tread life rating of 320, while excellent for an "Ultra High Performance" tire, is however nowhere near the Symmetry's rating of 500. In real-world driving, you'll probably end up with 10k - 12k less tread life than you would with the Symmetry. A small price to pay for having your cake and eat it too...

I've recently replaced the MXV4 on my S420 with the AVS DB and couldn't be happier. A world of improvement in grip and looks with virtually no compromise in noise and ride comfort. I definitely will do the same for my '00 EX in a few months when the stock Symmetry's collectively expire...

Link to AVS DB at TireRack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_db.jsp

·
Registered
596 Posts
I replaced the tires on my Odyssey at 140 miles. It came with the Firestones and I wanted an "A" temperature rated tire, since I do quite a bit of distance driving in hot conditions and do not want to be involved in blow-out incidents, such as those of the Phord Exploders.

I was interested in Michelins and went to their website, where they suggested the XGT-H4 in the 235/60HR-16 size as a higher performance replacement. I found a store which is both the Firestone and Michelin dealer and was able to get a very good allowance for the Firestones.

I have been very satisfied with the Michelins, but, they might not be the tire for you since they are a little noisy and I did not have the Firestones on the van long enough to really tell how the noise compared. They are, however, a very nice driving tire, with good steering turn-in response and traction.

My experience. Jerry O.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I replaced the tires on my Odyssey at 140 miles. It came with the Firestones and I wanted an "A" temperature rated tire, since I do quite a bit of distance driving in hot conditions and do not want to be involved in blow-out incidents, such as those of the Phord Exploders.

I was interested in Michelins and went to their website, where they suggested the XGT-H4 in the 235/60HR-16 size as a higher performance replacement. I found a store which is both the Firestone and Michelin dealer and was able to get a very good allowance for the Firestones.

I have been very satisfied with the Michelins, but, they might not be the tire for you since they are a little noisy and I did not have the Firestones on the van long enough to really tell how the noise compared. They are, however, a very nice driving tire, with good steering turn-in response and traction.

My experience. Jerry O.
</font>

Thanks for your post. I have done much research, but so far have come up only with the Michelin XGT H4s. The other candidate is the Yokohama AVS db. This tire is supposed to be the quietest so far. The only concerns are weak snow traction and a low treadwear rating as compared to the H4s. A local tire dealer told me that on the Odyssey withs its front wheel drive and with all the weight on the front tires, the van will, in his words, eat up the tires real quickly.

Regards,

HP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hitesh Patel:

Thanks for your post. I have done much research, but so far have come up only with the Michelin XGT H4s. The other candidate is the Yokohama AVS db. This tire is supposed to be the quietest so far. The only concerns are weak snow traction and a low treadwear rating as compared to the H4s. A local tire dealer told me that on the Odyssey withs its front wheel drive and with all the weight on the front tires, the van will, in his words, eat up the tires real quickly.

Regards,

HP.
</font>
Hi Hitesh,

Your dealer rep is right in saying that the Ody eats up its front tires quickly due to the weight bias and cornering load. Since I don't care about the stock Michelin Symmetry on mine, I have yet to rotate the tires since new, and so after only 22k miles, the front tires are almost down to the tread bar (probably good for another 3k - 5k), while the rear tires are still 90%+. This illustrates the cornering load the Ody exerts on its front tires (the tires are rated for 80k) and...well, the importance of rotating your tires regularly.

You are also right about the Yoko AVS DB's modest grip in the snow and probably not a good choice for those living in snowbelt states who do not wish to keep an extra set of winter wheels/tires in their garage. However, considering that it's an "ultra high performance" tire, its handling property in the snow is well within the acceptable range for the class. The same goes for its treadwear rating of 320, which is excellent when compared to the Michelin XGT V4/Z4, a comparable tire with the rating of 300. The XGT H4 does indeed has higher rating at 400, but is a step down in performance rating, therein the trade-off.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have been driving front drivers for many years and have learned that they need not be "tire eaters". The keys to good front tire wear are alignment and AIR PRESSURE! I know folks who care enough to come to a board such as this usually take better care of their vehicles, but, in my experience, the tires are the most neglected item. I check my tire pressures weekly (I know, that's excessive) and NEVER have had poor front tire wear on any fronty. Most front tires are killed by shoulder wear, which is usually caused by UNDERinflation. I even like to keep a couple of extra psi in my fronts, just to avoid that problem. Just a coupla cents from my experience.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Jerry O:
I have been driving front drivers for many years and have learned that they need not be "tire eaters". The keys to good front tire wear are alignment and AIR PRESSURE...

Hi Jerry,

I absolutely agree with you that "fronties" need not be "tire eaters" and that the keys to good tread life are alignment and air pressure. I owned a Honda CRX(a fronty)back in college and twice I got over 60k tread life out a set of Pirelli P77 which were rated for 40k, and my driving style was a lot more aggressive back then. I rotated the tires every 6k and do alignment every 25k. Tire Pressure were kept at 3-5psi over Honda's recommendation for handling and gas mileage purposes. However, I must point out that the one other major factor contributed to the unbelievable tread life is WEIGHT, or rather lack thereof. The CRX's curb weight is a scant 1900 lbs! So even though it has a front weight bias typical of fronties, the front tires don't have anymore than 1200 lbs or so to deal with the typical one passenger.
An Odyssey with the typical options will weight about 4200lbs, and probably around 4700 lbs with the typical load of a family of four and their cargo. Again with typical front drive bias, this means the Ody's front tires have to shoulder 2500lbs+ and you can imagine the load exerted on the front tires in corners (the front tires have to deal with 600+ lbs more than the total weight of my old CRX!).
I check my air pressure about once a month and keep the front tires at 3-4psi over Honda's specs, again for handling and gas mileage purposes. I had alignment done once at 15k(because of a 50% off coupon). My front tires are worn evenly all the way across the tread.
Jerry, I think the key reason why Odies are "tire eaters" is the weight, as there's still no way to defy physics, although being a front driver doesn't help either. If you rotate your tires every 6k, you'll probably squeeze 60k out of the stock tires. If you don't, then like me you will notice a startling difference in wear rate between the front and rear tires after 15k or so. Happy trails!

·
Registered
596 Posts
We'll see how it goes. I am using 38 psi in my Michelins and have only 6K on them, so far, and I see no evidence of wear. 60K is good mileage on anything, light or heavy, and I think the reason most folks feel fronties are tire eaters is that they do not rotate and the fronts seem to go away very quickly. The fella who has mid 20s on his and has not rotated would see about 50K for the set if he did proper rotation and that is not bad. On these rigs, the rears are just trailer tires which follow wherever the others go and hardly wear at all and that must be factored in when indicting to vans as tire eaters. Just a coupla more cents on the subject........

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

1 - 20 of 43 Posts