Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize as this is not my first forum I should utilize the search function but I think my case is unique... Here is why.

I have a 2008 Odyssey EXL-RES with 38K miles on it. Driven by my wife 90% of the time, always serviced by honda.

It has had a transmission "jerk" at anywhere from 35-80MPH for the past several months. Not the usual jerk that the van had new, this is a pronounced semi severe jerk. Even has a nice blam noise that goes along with it. It is getting progressively worse as time goes on. It's been to the dealer 3 times and they have reprogrammed the computer all 3 times. Today I told them if that was their fix again then I wanted to ride with the tech after it was finished to ensure it was truly fixed. Well they reprogrammed it, I rode with the tech and it wasn't any different. His words were, "yeah something is definitely wrong". So they took it back in and an hour later told me I was overdue for a transmission fluid "flush". I haven't serviced the transmission fluid because the maintenance minder hasn't asked me to. That's when honda says it needs to be serviced is when the handy little computer tells me it's that time. Hasn't happened. After I told them that they said it could void my extended honda care and power train warranty since it was supposed to be done at 30K as per my owners manual. I know that is a lie. So I brought in my manual and asked them to show me, they obviously could not. It's a lie.

After this was discovered I asked if I paid for the "flush" and it didn't work would I get a refund... Of course not. So I told them no. That's not the problem, if it is it's premature for it to be changed, they're responsible. Well then the service manager came over. He put the team leader on the case and he went to work. A couple, literally couple, hours later they told me they may have found the problem. But first they wanted me to drive a 08 ody like mine they had on the used car lot to see if it did the same thing. I obliged and drove their van. Totally different, it felt like my odyssey used to. No noise, certainly not a jarring from the transmission. Well then the manager drove them both, with me in the car, and said they're the same. He noticed no difference!!!!! I was astonished. He was lying to my face!!!! So I was pissed at this point. I demanded the managers, manager...

He asked if he thought there was a problem with my car. The guy said no. That was that. Handed me my keys and said sorry it's normal for your vehicle!!!

Well I was angry and called honda america. They opened a case immediately and should be calling within 2 business days. I thought it was over until they sent a driver to my house to get the work order they left in my car!!!! THEY SENT SOMEONE TO MY HOUSE! The guy asked for the work order, I said get the hell off my property, I want nothing to do with your company. He then sat at the end of my driveway in the van that I drove earlier that day for 30 min! I called the sheriff dept. I was fuming!

So my question is. What do I do now? First tech said there was definitely a problem.

manger #1 said it's my fault for not changing the transmission fluid and he could void my warranty.

manager #2 said the van is fine.

I have the work order which shows the #1 tech notes and says he feels jerking from transmission and recommends fluid change.

Where to go from here?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Overdue for a flush at <40,000 miles? Wha... :huh:

Keep the work order no matter what. It's your evidence of malfeasance. If you're generous, offer to provide them with a copy. Bastards... :nothappy:

You've already contacted Honda, so there's that. Can't wait to hear what they'll do for you. :tongue:

Take the car to another dealer and explain the situation, and let them be the heroes for you. They'd probably just looooove to show up their rival. :D

And do keep us advised... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the owner of Brandon Honda, located in Florida, called me today in regards to a message I had left yesterday. It's no wonder why the dealership is run so poorly. He didn't apologize, he was simply telling me he'd use this a a learning tool for his team. He then went on to tell me don't base the Honda name on his dealership and to try another dealer... WHAT! that's his fix? Shoud have just said, "I know we suck, but the next dealer could be better". I'm even more amazed at this point.

What should or could I demand from Honda? Could this qualify me for the lemon law? It was the third time for the exact same problem and it's still not fixed. Now my wife is scared to take it to the Honda dealership when I has a major failure. Which I believe isn't far off with the jerking getting worse by the day.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmmmm...

So the owner of Brandon Honda, located in Florida, called me today in regards to a message I had left yesterday. It's no wonder why the dealership is run so poorly. He didn't apologize, he was simply telling me he'd use this a a learning tool for his team. He then went on to tell me don't base the Honda name on his dealership and to try another dealer...

Which is exactly what you should do.

WHAT! that's his fix? Shoud have just said, "I know we suck, but the next dealer could be better". I'm even more amazed at this point.

Never overestimate the stupidity of dealers.

What should or could I demand from Honda? Could this qualify me for the lemon law?

If you bought it new, and always serviced by Honda, probably. Maybe. Depends. You should still be under factory warranty on the engine and transmission... Tell Honda Corporate that's what you will do if the problem is not fixed to your satisfaction (and mention the above dealer's comment).

It was the third time for the exact same problem and it's still not fixed. Now my wife is scared to take it to the Honda dealership when I has a major failure. Which I believe isn't far off with the jerking getting worse by the day.

Seriously. Take it to another dealer, as I suggested (and the stoooopid dealer agreed)...

Thanks!!
Keep us posted...

·
Registered
94 Posts
So the owner of Brandon Honda, located in Florida, called me today in regards to a message I had left yesterday. It's no wonder why the dealership is run so poorly. He didn't apologize, he was simply telling me he'd use this a a learning tool for his team. He then went on to tell me don't base the Honda name on his dealership and to try another dealer... WHAT! that's his fix? Shoud have just said, "I know we suck, but the next dealer could be better". I'm even more amazed at this point.

What should or could I demand from Honda? Could this qualify me for the lemon law? It was the third time for the exact same problem and it's still not fixed. Now my wife is scared to take it to the Honda dealership when I has a major failure. Which I believe isn't far off with the jerking getting worse by the day.

Thanks!!
I know It's a bit of a drive... But take it to Honda cars of Bradenton and tell them whats going on, They are the best service people I have ever dealt with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take it to Crown Honda in St Petersburg and ask for Michelle.

I have been taking Hondas there for 18 years and they are top notch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips on the local dealerships! If I'm forced to take it in again that's where I will be heading. I however don't think I explained what I'm trying to do. This is far from just having them fix the original problem at this point. Honda is going to have to go above and beyond just fixing the transmission to come close to satisfying me now. I've been a loyal Honda customer for over a decade. I have a Honda motorcycle, an accord, heck even a Honda mower and lead blower! After this incident it will depend on Honda to keep me a customer. They're going to have to come up with something above and beyond. My wife is now very tentative about going to a dealership. I cannot blame her. I'm going deployed in the military soon, what would she have done if this guy came to our house an yelled at her and posted up in my driveway had I not been there???

I don't know if I'm over reacting on this and if so that's ok. I feel justified in saying this is ridiculous and expecting serious actions be taken. At the least I want to drop my van off, them give me a rental odyssey and replace my transmission all together. Replace major components that will guarantee my problem is resolved, then deliver the car back. Cleaned and prepped like new.

Is this too much to ask? We shall see.

·
Registered
415 Posts
...I've been a loyal Honda customer for over a decade. I have a Honda motorcycle, an accord, heck even a Honda mower and lead blower! After this incident it will depend on Honda to keep me a customer. They're going to have to come up with something above and beyond. My wife is now very tentative about going to a dealership. I cannot blame her. I'm going deployed in the military soon, what would she have done if this guy came to our house an yelled at her and posted up in my driveway had I not been there???

I don't know if I'm over reacting on this and if so that's ok. I feel justified in saying this is ridiculous and expecting serious actions be taken. At the least I want to drop my van off, them give me a rental odyssey and replace my transmission all together. Replace major components that will guarantee my problem is resolved, then deliver the car back. Cleaned and prepped like new.

Is this too much to ask? We shall see.
This might be too much to ask.

First of all, thank you for your service. Big props to you!

They will most certainly repair your transmission, but realistically, they are under no obligation to replace it. But they don't care two whits if you have been or are a loyal Honda customer or not. Their main concern is to keep you satisfied, sure, but not at the exposure of providing you with a new transmission for your trouble: Such a precedent could end up costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars in subsequent claims.

The issue with the harassment you suffered from the dealership by means of the flunky going to your home is a bargaining chip in your quest, albeit a small one. If they have no shame, and it looks as though they don't, you would have little or no leverage. But use it with Honda to your advantage.

So, as you say, we shall see. I'm of the opinion they will make you whole, but not to the extent that you would like to see. That might just be "too much to ask."

·
Administrator
14,523 Posts
I agree with Boogety Boogety. Asking for a new van from Honda due to an incompetant dealer is indeed a bit too much to ask.

Like the others have said, take it in to one of the better dealerships, give them a chance to make it right and call it a day. Most likely, you will need new torque converter or motor mounts as the way I am reading your thread, it seems you have a faling torque converter (juddering perhaps) but that's just speculation on my part.

Also, never give a single dime to the local dealer from now on and do everything in your power to dissuade others from giving their hard earned money to that scum stealer is all you can do.

Honda as a company is going down hill in generosity on good-wills and what not (most likely due to the bad economy and all) so there is no way they'd do anything more to appease you but you can try asking for a warranty extension on the powertrain in light of the troubles. The worst they can do is say No.

BTW. Thanks for your service in the armed forces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts