Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

First off THANKS for having such a great resource for the Odyssey! I've read it extensively before taking the plunge and trading in my '02 Ford Windstar with 173k on a VERY clean '02 Odyssey EX-L NAV with 126k.

Test drive of the van was fine, there was some whine coming from the transmission as it got up to speed that would disappear when you let off the throttle. Seemed OK. Transmission fluid seemed dirty but I figured it was just due for a replacement.

So, do the deal and start on the long drive back home (almost 300 miles). Once or twice on the interstate the transmission slipped (engine revved then it violently popped into gear). I was "uh oh" at that point but it was still going.

Turn off the interstate with about 75 miles to go on highways/back roads to the house. As soon as I pull off it starts jerking BADLY, jerking and slipping trying to move, even jerking on downshifts. VERY violent. After a few iterations of this getting it up to speed the CEL and TCS lit and I only had 2nd gear, wouldn't shift to a gear above 2nd.

So, I figured I could limp it home, I was doing 40mph at 3200 RPM or so, but it was going. No traffic, so I just eased along. 25 miles later I got to a town with some lights, after some stop and go at the lights the transmission said "uh-uh" and was basically just free revving and not wanting to go anywhere, pulled into a parking lot and called AAA for a tow home.

This morning I drove the van around some after foolishly disconnecting the battery (looking at some other things on the van) before pulling the code. Van drives about like it did on the test drive, but after it warms up it will slip and jerk into gear.

The dealership I bought the van from has offered to make it right. I'm thinking that a simple fluid flush/filter and screen change won't help anything that I'm needing a transmission. Thinking about going with the one shop that specializes in rebuilt Oddy transmissions.

What do you guys think?

BTW, everything else on the van works great - engine runs like a top, interior/exterior are clean, everything works. I REALLY wish I could drive it to work tomorrow but I just can't trust it the way it is now.

Thanks!

Dale

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have the fluid replaced and see what happens after that.
Unfortunately, the bad news is that once your AT gets to the point where it's slipping and overheating it has so much internal clutch residue clogging tiny passageways and screens not to mention the INTERNAL filter--that a fluid replacement is only delaying the inevitable.

I would call the guys at Gator Transmission and tell them what you have for problems and ask them if they can help you determine how bad things really are.
I had my AT rebuilt by them and I can't say enough great things about their work and their staff. Talk to Joe--the owner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just replaced mine

Well...unfortunately there's a long history of Odyssey transmission issues, including a class action suit (which I missed out on). I have an '01 with 145,000 on it and just replaced my tranny with a Jasper (new; not rebuilt) recommended by a local shop. According to the mechanic, I was darn lucky to get that many miles out of the van as most of the Honda transmissions they've done are way under that. 3 year coast-to-coast warranty. $3890 out the door and she runs beautifully now (Honda wanted $4500 for a re-built one). Plan on driving it another 3 years or so. Much cheaper than buying a new car and no car payment either.

Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards a Gator transmission, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Is this typical of how the transmissions go out? Seems like others have some general weirdness but the van is still driveable.

Dale

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Everybody!

The dealership I bought the van from has offered to make it right. I'm thinking that a simple fluid flush/filter and screen change won't help anything that I'm needing a transmission. Thinking about going with the one shop that specializes in rebuilt Oddy transmissions.

What do you guys think?
I would get the dealership to make it right. Either fix the issue, reduce the price by $3k, or take it back and refund your money.

Your drive home from the dealer should not cost you $3k or more. Most likely, the dealer will drop the price and offer a refund (they don't want to deal with it either) or will want to do a cheap fix to make you happy for 30 days. I wouldn't accept anything less than a $2k drop in price, start at $3k.

How much you want back should be determined based on what you paid for it. If you only paid "poor" condition price, then you won't have much room to work with. If you paid "good" to "excellent" then you should expect a larger discount.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the dealer is standing behind the car, they were good with the price of a transmission from Gator. I need to call around to some more shops and get more labor quotes, so far the labor has been a bit high (10 hours).

The dealer would be picking up the tab on the transmission/shipping ($1650) and I'll pay the extra $200 for the labor warranty, I think that's fair.

Hopefully we'll have the ball rolling soon! I'm driving my twin turbo RX-7 for work right now and it's a bit obnoxious driving it around on service calls :).

Dale

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, the dealer is standing behind the car, they were good with the price of a transmission from Gator. I need to call around to some more shops and get more labor quotes, so far the labor has been a bit high (10 hours).

The dealer would be picking up the tab on the transmission/shipping ($1650) and I'll pay the extra $200 for the labor warranty, I think that's fair.

Hopefully we'll have the ball rolling soon! I'm driving my twin turbo RX-7 for work right now and it's a bit obnoxious driving it around on service calls :).

Dale
Dale - I did my tranny a few weeks ago, learning curve included, it took me about 18 hrs to get everything apart. going back together took about 8.5 hrs. 10 hrs to R&R doesn't sound too far off to me :) good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The shop that just did mine says 8 full hours. They actually complete it within about 6-7 hours. The 10 hour install is probably by the book, not actual time frame for a shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After calling about 10-15 local shops, found a transmission shop that has done a number of Odyssey transmissions and quoted $450 for labor.

Dealership is shipping down a rebuilt transmission and has already Paypal'd me for the labor, very pleased with how this is working out. Should be back on the road next week!

Today I ordered a pile o' parts for the van, little stuff that bugs me - new rubber for the brake pedal, battery hold down bracket and J-bolts, few other small things. Can't wait to actually DRIVE the damn thing!

Dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts