Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I picked up an 02 EX-L with the DVD a few weeks ago, of course It has the obligatory bad tranny, but when you can do a replacement and still come out ahead on the $$.... seems like the thing to do. My wife has been admiring these for the last 5 yrs, so I am happy to finally be able to move her up from the Volvo wagon we currently have. I'll probably be around ALOT as I don't like to pay to have things done, and there are what seem's like normal issues with this van. (slidingdoors, EGR, motor mounts)... I am looking forward to gaining insite on how these machines work and your tricks and tips.
I'm not bad as a wrencher, but certainly like to read and research prior to starting a job... helps to know what you're getting into.

Since I'll be dropping the tranny/subframe myself on this deal, I'll need to buy some new tools :)D) and do a little reading. I picked up a FSM last week, so hopefully I'll be able to walk through this will relatively little pain. Any tips would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Welcome to the club. Also congrats on your new 02 ody. As for the tranny, there are a few members on here who have rebuilt there tranny.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! I've been a honda fan for a while ( 80 civic, 85 accord, 92 accord, 97 civic) all have been over 120 on the clock, with the 92 being my best experience at 260 on the clock when it was sold. Even with the known problems on these vans, I am sure this will be cheaper than our Volvo for the long term.

I'll probably purchase a reman tranny, and do the install myself though. Sounds like there are some updates to the valve body that would be difficult to accomplish on a straight rebuild.

PS, I changed user names, something got fouled up when I signed up, so You will see me as 69silver2k from hear on out. For an explanation of my user name: 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster - 47k original miles. Silver of course :) rebuilt and slightly custom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts