Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as maintenance goes it has had nothing but oil changes and new tires and brakes.

It runs really well, but I've noticed some clunking up front when I acel from a stop. A quick once over showed the upper passenger side mount is clearly busted. I had my wife mess around with it while I rolled take to show the problem. I'll post the video soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZP3mILRMUE

So apart from the bad mounts what other parts should I look hard at. The front brakes have a shimmy at high speed so I guess I should turn those, but all four discs and pads look good.

I was going to do a home DIY trans flush and fill soon, but at 100k I fuigure I'll just pay the MAN to do the timing belt.

Any wear items I've missed or any other advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome aboard. We have an 04 now at 102k that we bought new and it has been great. My thoughts?

- You said flush, but maybe you just meant darin and fill three times. Flushing it not recommended.

- Make sure the dealer added the cooling jet to the transmission, if that applied to your VIN.

- We had to replace that passenger side mount, and also the front one down by the radiator.

- You could suck out the power steering fuild and add new.

- I'd replace the brake fluid. That was due at three and six years.

- Definitely check the cabin air filter. They can grow mold after just 30k miles.

Maybe that will hold you for a while. Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tom34diy said:
Welcome aboard. We have an 04 now at 102k that we bought new and it has been great. My thoughts?

- You said flush, but maybe you just meant darin and fill three times. Flushing it not recommended.
Well in the past with my Volvo wagon I would just take the lines to the transmission cooler or on other vehicles where the enter the radiator and installed a couple tubes and put the one coming from the trans in a bucket and the one sucking in a container of new trans fluid. I would just run it that way, adding new until the fluid coming out looked clean. Is this not the preferred method?
Why?
Originally posted by tom34diy

- Make sure the dealer added the cooling jet to the transmission, if that applied to your VIN.
Could you provide me a link to more info on this? I'm curious what VIN numbers were effected.
Originally posted by tom34diy
- We had to replace that passenger side mount, and also the front one down by the radiator.

- You could suck out the power steering fuild and add new.

- I'd replace the brake fluid. That was due at three and six years.

- Definitely check the cabin air filter. They can grow mold after just 30k miles.

Maybe that will hold you for a while. Good luck. Tom
My passenger side mount is clearly shot, the front mount behaves as though it's bad too. I may take it off and inspect it.
Where is this cabin air filter you speak of?

And Thanks a million for the great reply! This is just the information I was looking for.:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re the transmission fluid change, and the other issues for that matter, the search feature will be your best friend here because it can be used to find more than you probably want to know about the Odyssey, including posts with pictures.

If Honda installed the jet on your transmission, your fill hole will be covered and not usable. You will have to refill the transmission through the dipstick tube. Lots of info here about that, but you will need a turkey baster. I know.... a what?

As for the cabin air filter, it is behind the glove box door that will have to at least be lowered, maybe removed, to remove the filter. It will be interesting when you get behind the glove box door to see if there is a plastic bar in front of the metal bar that you will have to loosen. If that plastic bar is still there, it means it has never been changed. That plastic has to be cut out to access the filter. You can find details on that project in this site. Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks gents. I used the search but it returns so many results it requires lots of time and reading to find exactly what I'm looking for. This being a minivan forum I don't need to explain how a father of three small kids gets pressed for time. So my apologies.

I noticed a "clunk" when I would put it in gear or when stepping on the gas from a stop and traced it to a busted passenger side engine mount. I need the van this weekend so last night I pulled it off and glued the rubber back together and then cut up a hard red poly bushing I had laying around, stuffed the pieces in there, wrapped the whole thing in saran wrap and poured it full of a softer fast set urethane. Very ghetto, but it should get me by (and give the other mounts a much needed rest) until I can source a proper replacement. Added pics for your amusement.

·
Registered
664 Posts
that might vibrate a little. I'm curious how well it works, because I've been thinking about doing something similar to mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gregersonke said:
that might vibrate a little. I'm curious how well it works, because I've been thinking about doing something similar to mine.
I haven't noticed any increase in vibration, only it doesn't "clunk" like it did. But again, that urethane I filled it with is very soft, about shore 50 IIRC so I didn't expect it to transfer much vibration. I'm not sure it's a viable long term solution, but I'm going to run it for a few weeks to see if there are any Ill effects. If there are none, I might fill the new replacement mount (minus the hard pieces) prior to installation and hope it makes it last longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts