Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I didn't find this place till after my purchase of 2007 EXL-REN. I was looking between sienna and odyssey (shocking I know!). Well, I had the Ody since mid march and thought I should drop in a post my experience so far. It is probably long and rambling for most... sorry about that.

I got the van after some search, it is hard to find a clean van in my area. I was surprised because I pretty much live in mini van capital of the country. But I have dealers and private sellers either asking ungodly amounts of $$ or have a crappy product (damaged) and still want top $ for it.

I ended up getting my Ody from a non-honda dealer. Since it is not a honda dealer, it is not certified but it does come with a 3 month warranty. So, I been working the car to make sure I don't have any of the issues I read here. The carfax is clean and I was able to call the previous dealer and chat about the service records. This car has repainted front and rear bumpers so I know it has been in minor fender benders even though carfax does not show accident. Everything else is clean. It has 65k on it and I am the 3rd owner. transmission software was updated at 48k and TC was replaced at 50k and the 1st owner sold the van soon after. The 2nd owner drove it for 15k in 10month then trade it in to the dealer I bought it from.

Overall, I get 16mpg on pure commuting -- usual traffic 70% stop and go and <35mph 30%. pure highway I get 25 mpg of avg 70mph. If I keep RPM below 2K, I am able to get to 17mpg commute and 26mpg highway if I keep AC off. Not the best for commute but not as horrifying as WW's ~10mpg city.

I have whistling between 35-50 mph -- it is unfortunate since this is pretty much within commute speed so I hear it all the time. I am getting use to it. My van did not have any of the brake related recall done on it when I bought it, brake feel did not change before or after recalls serviced. Here is an interesting part, when I brought it in for recalls, the dealer said that there is yet another transmission software update that is newer than the one I have. They did the update during the brake recall service as well. Dealer also told me that the front engine mount needs replacing. During day to day commute, brake feel is the same before and after recalls. However, after the 2nd software update, it is harder to lug the engine. It does not want to up shift and likes to down shift quicker than before software update. The mpg difference is 1.1mpg (only 1 tank each). Before recalls and update, there is almost no vibration when stopped in the pedal and steering wheel, after service, there is small but noticeable vibration in both steering wheel and pedal.

Up shifting is smoother than down for sure. I am a stick driver, down shift is like you are still going a little too fast for the lower gear but you jammed it in anyway and let the clutch do the work. This is most prominent 3->2->1.

We just got back from ~600mile trip. Highway CC on most of the time at ~70mph almost all the time. The VCM behaves like it is shifting into a higher gear except softer hesitation compare to real shift. This is virtually undetectable in city commute due to slow speed and imperfection on the road surface. I have a feeling VCM rarely engages during my commute since there is a delay between ECO light vs VCM, by the time it wants the engage, I may be on the gas due to flow of the traffic again.

Highway speeds, depending on the pavement material, the noise level changes, I get avg of 63 db going 75mph(iphone "too loud" app). Accelerating from 60->80 will get a whining sound. The pitch shifts depending on pavement material too. This sound does not occur during commute.

Normally, I would not have gotten this van, but, it seems like TC are a ticking time bomb and in my case, I have a TC with 15k on it as oppose to original TC with 65k on it. I am not sure if that is wise or not.

I do get the occasional "tight" steering if the van is completely stopped but perfect even if the van is barely moving so I assume I am still OK with my PS system.

This van in comparison to 2007 CRV bought new, actually gets better mpg on the highway 25 crv vs 26 van. City commute is 20crv vs 16van. Of course, neither beats my trusty 98 civic :)

Road noise is excessive just like the CRV. I give my civic a pass because it is "old". you can not have a conversation at normal speaking level between driver and 2nd row passenger; you have to "yell".

I think this is long enough. Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, I tried to search for DIY mount replacement but can't find it. Can some one kindly post the link?

thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
I do get the occasional "tight" steering if the van is completely stopped but perfect even if the van is barely moving so I assume I am still OK with my PS system.

thanks
TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed.

The above TSB will get you a new Power Steering pump.

Since your van is out of factory warranty, I don't know if the dealership or Honda would do the TSB for free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Warranty is no guarantee. I am fighting with my dealer right now. My 08 is exhibiting the steering issue. I can make it happen on demand using the procedure in the tsb. They said it is "unrealistic" that anyone would ever need to turn their steering wheel in that manner and is refusing the repair. Even with a warranty in place. Sigh.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dude, you should flush the steering fluid!!! ours would be hard majority of the time, so my mechanic told me the best way would be to first do a steering fluid flush and then change the power steering pump if need be. well $45 for the flush got rid of the problem completely. it would be like $30 if you could do it ur self

1 - 4 of 4 Posts