Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This week I am about to decide on an 06 Touring model.. one has 88k and the other has 59k.

I can get the one with 88k for about $2300 (after taxes) less than the one with 59k.

Both drive about the same, condition both in and out appear to be fine. Both cars have no previous accidents (so says Carfax)...

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I can afford both, but would rather keep my costs as low as possible, but don't want to buy something that i might find myself needing repair... are the 06's fairly reliable.. and is there any concerns with the one at 88k that i might find myself in a pickle ?

I intend to keep the car for at least 4-5 years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
2300 would be worth it to me to pay to have a van with 30K less miles. Personally, I'd not buy either with that amount of miles.....

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Much better then....Less than 20 Miles difference.......It would be a toss up for me, but I'd probably still go with the lower mile automobile.

·
Registered
755 Posts
See if you can get some service records for both. I would go for a cehicle that has been well taken care of. 88k km isn't bad at all. When we sold our 05, it had more than 200k km on it and it was still running good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe my math is flawed, but buying 30k km less for $2300 seems like a bargain to me.

The one with higher mileage will need the expensive timing belt service done much sooner.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
$.12/mile or $.08/km. That's about typical depreciation in my book. I agree with someone above...I'd go with whichever seems to have had better care/maintenance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello,

This week I am about to decide on an 06 Touring model.. one has 88k and the other has 59k.

I can get the one with 88k for about $2300 (after taxes) less than the one with 59k.

Both drive about the same, condition both in and out appear to be fine. Both cars have no previous accidents (so says Carfax)...

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I can afford both, but would rather keep my costs as low as possible, but don't want to buy something that i might find myself needing repair... are the 06's fairly reliable.. and is there any concerns with the one at 88k that i might find myself in a pickle ?

I intend to keep the car for at least 4-5 years.

Thanks!
I think you meant 23000 dollars. 2300 tells me it was a write off and you'd buy for parts. I bought a used 06 with 82000km(June 2010) for 23500 out the door. I also bout a dealer warrenty for another 1500. Van body and rims were in great condition, tires looked new. Van ran well. No reported accident.

I now have 95000km and recently drove down to Florida and back. Van ran without any issues.

Reality though is you take your chances with used cars. If your priority needs are reliability, then buy a extended warrenty from the dealer and you sleep better at night. Basically your buying insurance. And this serves you well if you plan to keep the vehicle for 4-5 years.

BTW, when I did my research and checked out various car dealerships, I found non Honda Dealers selling used odysseys had 2nd grade vehicles and no warrenty options (or questionable warrenty content).

Lastly, now that you have preliminary info, suggest you wait til 2 or 3 days before end of month (or end of quarter is even better), chat up the sales person on overall sales for the quarter and how he is personally doing with his quota. Then offer 20%-25% less of the asking out the door price and let them know you will sign off before end of month (or quarter). Be prepared to counter/haggle to a price you will be happy with or walk away.

Advantages you have:
1) Time is on your side because if they need the revenue to hit sales targets they will drop the price

2) The vehicle is sitting on their lot incurring inventory costs and continues to depreciate

3) It's a buyer's market at this point in time (lost of selection)

If they reject it flatly or counter with a less % off, best you can do is tell them to call you if they can meet your price. Remember they have to make a living as well. Don't get emotional, think of things they can throw in IE. 4 free oil changes, tank of gas, mats etc. the little things they can write off as expenses.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jeff, thanks for the info.. they both run great.

The one for 88k i was meant to say is $2300 cheaper than the one with 59k. So the cost difference is about right... i'm just trying to decide if it's worth the extra 2300 assuming both cars are in the same condition.

59k model(black): more body scratches. Black car so more noticeable. Missing a window clip for the retractable pull up blinds on the passenger side window. No reported accidents. Service records look good.

88k model (silver): no visible body scratches. Front bumper corner looks a tiny bit off where it meets the light housing.. but no reported accidents. As a couple minor rock chips on the paint on the hood and those spots appear to have some rust in them now. Service records look up to date.

Both cars are from different Honda Dealerships and are certified used.

Today's my last day to decide... arrghh..there are just not enough used Touring models which makes this decision so tough..

·
Registered
755 Posts
as for the front bumper being off aligned on a 88k silver model, i wouldn't care much

about it. Yes, it is annoying, because our 05 ody was like that too. But, it's not gona

come off. And the rust spots can be repaired with touch up paints. Our ody's hood was

chipped off a few spots but i put the touch up paint as soon as it chipped off, and it

never rusted more since then. And personally, i would go for the silver, because it just

shows less dirt, less scratches, so its much easier to take care of. And for a 06 model,

88k kms(about 55k miles) isn't bad at all. Our 06 cr-v has over 96k kms(over 60k miles)

and still going strong, even though it was a 80%city 20%hwy vehicle.

Yes, its a different vehicle, but ody is a very reliable car also.

When we sold our 05 touring, it had over 196k kms on it(122k miles) and it was running

very reliably. I may seem a little biased here, since i've owned a silver touring model,

but thats what i would go for if i was in your situation, with lower price of course.

And one more thing i would like to add is about how low the mileage is on the black model.

I converted 59k kms to miles, which was about 36k miles. That means either

the vehicle wasn't used a lot, or was just a short commute vehicle. I can't really

say that the silver model wasnt either, but i rather have a little higher mileage vehicle thats 5 years old

since i can expect that that model was driven more frequently on the highway

rather than just on the city, which puts less wear on the car. But thats just me. good luck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man! ^ that gives me re-assurance. I've owned honda and acura's all my life so hearing that the Ody is a reliable car warms my heart.

Thanks,great forum btw!:rockon:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
hearing that the Ody is a reliable car warms my heart.:

Won't hear that from me.....This Oddy has ben in the shop more than all the cars I have owned combined in my 45 years........."Including Several Fords"

Had no bought the extended warranty......Ida been out thousands in repairs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts