Honda Odyssey Forum banner

New to the Honda Odyssey world.. but my van is jerky around 25-30 mph with eco light

8K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  AndrewS816 
#1 ·
New to the Honda Odyssey world.. but my van is jerky around 25-30 mph with eco light coming on and off. I just bought a 2014 Odyssey with 80,000 miles. Poured down on us during the test drive so just drove in parking lot. Well on the drive home van started to hesitate when easing down on fuel pedal around the 25-30 mph mark. Ive searches and want to try this vcm disabler. What is the latest and greatest on this? And dealer said I have lifetime power train on van so don’t want to splice into any wires that will void warranty but will to try this disabler to see if I can get this hesitation out of the van. Please let me know where I can find the disabler and which has had better results. Thanks.

#2 ·
Sounds like the dealer sold you a van with worn engine mounts, these active mounts are very expensive to repair, probably covered by lemon law in your state, it needs fixing and then you can disable the vcm with a muzzler, there's no splicing required and you can fit it or take it back off in about three minutes, it's basically a plug and play item.

Anyone else care to chime in on the engine mounts?

#9 ·
Obviously we have no way of absolutely knowing what the issue is, but the muzzler is an easy place to start. Since it's plug and play, you can easily remove it before taking it in the dealer for troubleshooting/service. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't take any chance of voiding a warranty by leaving it installed and taking the vehicle to a dealer. Why introduce that as a possible reason for them to deny a claim, especially since it just plugs in? If it doesn't solve your issue, take it out and when you go the dealership, don't mention your "troubleshooting step".

(Can anybody speak directly to that question? Anyone ever had the muzzler be an issue at a dealership? Feel free to start a new thread or point me to an existing one for that question)

Aside from the muzzler, the tranny firmware update should be done regardless of whether is it related to this issue or not.

If you can get your hands on the service records, you may find something that is related. ATF changes, multiple trips to the dealership for tranny issues, etc.

#4 ·

All you probably need to do is disable VCM.

If you feel and hear a shudder on light throttle, get the latest transmission software update and do a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF, with few hundred miles in between changes. After that, change the ATF every 20k-25k miles.

Once you disable VCM on these vans, you got a strong, long lasting engine.

#5 · (Edited)
All of the above advice is solid - there are two separate common sources of the vibration you are experiencing:

1. The VCM2 cylinder deactivation system in 2008-2017 Odysseys is not a well-implemented technology. It is very hard on the active engine mounts, as well as on the spark plugs and piston rings in the cylinders that get turned off and on. The active engine mounts are extremely good at what they do, but they are not lifetime parts in these vans - they wear out through use and they're not cheap to fix.

2. The transmissions in these vans are generally very good but they work the transmission fluid extremely hard. The OEM transmission fluid is not as durable as Honda first thought - it breaks down sooner than expected due to the high heat and stress it is subjected to.

So yes, it is possible that your engine mounts are not trashed. But if the transmission maintenance has been neglected (the fluid should have been drained and filled at least twice in the 80,000 miles your van has covered) doing three consecutive drain-and-fills with a bit of driving in between will give you a fresh start with a fresh load of ATF. It's amazing how well these transmissions respond to good fluid.

If you install a VCM disable device and refresh the ATF, you will have addressed the two most likely sources of the vibration you are getting. It'll almost certainly go away. If it doesn't, there are other things to look at, and we'll be happy to talk you through things then. But try the Muzzler and ATF first and then let us know how it went.

#7 ·
10-4. Going to see if I can get back into same dealership and work something out with ATF changeout since in fact the fluid is brownish when I looked at it. Definitely not red.

And out of curiousity do y’all see the ECO light off and on basically nonstop while driving no matter what speed? This is the way it’s supposed to work correct? It doesn’t have any time delay for it to kick in?

#12 ·
Good info guys. I follow you 100%. This is the s-vcm controller I ordered. It’s says you are able to set it and forget it. Takes a week to come in so I can install and test it and I definitely would remove before I take to dealership. So here is the plan. Dealership said they will take a look at it so I will be taking it back this week and request a tranny fluid change out and software update along with records of service work. Hopefully the owners brought in to dealership to get looked at every time they had service and issues.

Attachments

#15 ·
Yep, take it in as this will only continue. Heat of the day, alignment of the planets, sometimes our '16 was better than others but it would come back. 1 - 4 quart transmission fluid change made a big difference. Added an S-VCM HUGE difference, 500 miles later another 4 quart swap and a slight change (maybe) but overall this is now a completely different vehicle with no software updates (which it still may need?).

This and better front brakes and we had a new car, with 42k on the clock. ;)

#16 ·
Ok. This is my update. Dealership said it’s late in the month so can’t get me in until a few days. So we set up to do it next week. Sales guy from dealership has not agreed or disagreed to cover any costs but has agreed to take a look at the van. I called a local dealership to see what this bulletin service would cost. And was told $35 for diagnosis and for service work on bulletin it would cost $345. My vehicle was purchased with just a couple hundred miles over 80,000 which would void the warranty service and I would be responsible for all costs. This is if I take to another dealership. Hopefully my dealership will cover as a courtesy since I just bought vehicle but the vehicle did come with the warranty forever on power train. So if dealership doesn’t cover costs and vehicle maintenance minder doesn’t say to change out ATF then I could operate odyssey until something gives on transmission and then it would be covered. Or is that just crazy? Those are my options.

#18 ·
I don’t have a clue. I guess sales guy just seeing if I’ll forget or be ok with it after time goes by. Oh. And Honda doesn’t have any record of ATF fluid ever being changed out. But that doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been changed somewhere else. But by the looks of fluid it wasn’t done anytime recently. Has anyone had the maintenance minder pop up saying to change ATF? Honda manufacturer said this is what they go by to maintenance ATF. Would the vehicle sensors know if I changed out ATF myself?

#19 ·
No sensors. It just a program with a bit of math based on your driving habits and it'll ding with a specific code when it thinks certain maintenance should be done. It tends to signal ATF change around every 30k miles. Thus, it has no idea whether or not you've touched the fluid. This goes for everything the MM might suggest.

#22 ·
You can drain and fill with Honda DW-1 without anyone knowing.

When I had warranty coverage, I always used Honda fluids. I always did the work on my cars, and would bring in receipts of buying Honda ATF by the case when making claims for an AT warranty replacement (that was all for my '99; my 2011 has had no problems).

And yes, that's exactly what I would do. Buy Honda DW-1, D+F it until it looks good.

However, anything that was ever put in your AT will partially remain there forever (or until disassembly), since when you drain, you only get a fraction of it out. So in theory, if somebody at one point put in a non Honda fluid, and your AT failed and they analyzed things (not likely, usually they just look at the codes and that's enough for them), they could drain the fluid and find traces of whatever was in there before.

For example, off the top of my head, even after 4x 3+ quart drain and fills, you still have about 10% of whatever was in there before your first drain.

#26 ·
Don't take it back to a Chrysler dealership to have this done. They might try a flush using a powered fluid exchange machine and that is bad for Honda transmissions. As a matter of fact, Honda so strenuously advises against using powered flush machines that they don't even let their own dealer mechanics do it. A Honda dealer service department will only do drain-and-fills on Honda transmissions.

If you have the capacity to do the job yourself, it would be FAR better for you to just take care of it. You won't have warranty troubles, especially if you use Honda DW-1. The process is very easy. You don't even have to raise the front of the van because the transmission drain plug is well within arm's length from the front bumper (I'm 5'8" so my arms aren't all that long and I still reach the drain plug comfortably). If you've never done it before it might be a little tough to see but once you gain some familiarity you can do it quickly and easily and (to be honest) better than a dealership or service shop. Not to mention way cheaper.

I happen to live about 5 minutes away from our friendly neighbourhood Honda dealership, so getting factory parts is rarely a problem for me. They offer me a discount if I buy things like ATF in bulk quantities (like a case at a time) instead of piecemeal. If you're going to do a triple drain-and-fill, you will need 11-12 quarts of ATF anyway so buying a whole case at once could be to your advantage. Doesn't hurt to ask, right? :)

Reactions: Bron-Yr-Aur
#25 ·
Changing your ATF wouldn’t void the warranty at all, no worries on that front. Quite the opposite. If you had a transmission problem and they tested the fluid and it came back as dirty or deteriorated, that would be a reason to deny warranty coverage. Get that stuff as clean as possible :D

Unless I missed something I don’t believe you have warranty coverage at 80k miles anyway.

#27 ·
The Lord and the Dealership will both be pleased by proper maintenance my son... ;)

If you want them to own the problem, let them do it fluid swaps. I would do the Muzzler for your own benefit and remove it when it goes in and out of there to avoid any potential BS from them. But you will notice an improvement there too I have little doubt.

I drive our '16 about once a week (it's the wife's car!) and I drove it about 15 miles in start, stop, up to 60 mph and back down again traffic last night; and what I can say is this vehicle is a total pleasure to drive. With the S-VCM installed, better front brakes and pads (non-OEM crapola!) and fluid swaps on the transmission this thing is smoooottthhhh. You barely know the transmission is there at all. That is not what I experienced when we bought it... So there is hope.

Good luck!

#33 ·
It takes a little bit of work to get these vans sorted out properly but once you do they truly are great vehicles. Fortunately the good folks on Odyclub know how to do it and are happy to share. :)

#28 ·
Ok. Thanks guys. More than enough help. I was worried I would void warranty by doing it myself but now that I know it will not then I’ll pick up the ATF from a Honda dealership. Plus it will save me 2 hour drive. I’ve done all the maintenance on every vehicle I own so this will not be a problem to do it myself. I just kept thinking about salesman saying anything to be serviced on vehicle needs to be documented so warranty isn’t voided. Will let y’all know if she purrs or growls after I change the ATF. And do you think I should take in to see if it needs any software updates? Or not that critical?

#29 ·
Did you actually pay the Chrysler dealer for some warranty or is this some incentive they offer? I think I might take their warranty with a grain of salt. There are plenty of trans fluid change threads around here, I suggest you read a few to get familiar. Once you do the fluid change three times (maybe on three weekends, you must drive in between) you might consider having the actual Honda dealer connect your van to their computer and do the software updates. And Muzzle the VCM of course.

#30 · (Edited)
I did not pay for extra warranty. The Chrysler dealership said powertrain came with warranty forever program that only certain dealerships can offer.
And understood on doing 3 drain and fills on ATF then take in and see if Honda dealership needs to update software. Thanks everyone.

Going to order a case of ATF DW-1 off amazon for 88.03.

#31 ·
Ah, the “lifetime” warranty. The Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealer here does that too. Usually requires all normal service to be done at their dealership. Do this transmission crap on your own and bring it back there for oil changes and stuff if you want to keep up with their program. As another poster stated, run away screaming if they try to hook up something to your transmission to “flush” it at future visits.

#34 ·
This is a noteworthy observation. Having the right stuff available is a big deal with these transmissions.

There are definitely good alternatives to Honda DW-1, but I've read where Lubegard Black is promoted to commercial shops as a way to convert Dexron/Mercon to a DW-1 compatible fluid so that they don't have to stock a variety of different ATFs. I'm not sure if totally buy into that, and I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone experimenting with making the mixture on my van.

Reactions: Ruthrj18
#36 ·
Yikes - that's a lot! My drain plug has never had that much gunk on it. You got in there in the nick of time.

I think you'll be surprised by just how much of a difference a new load of ATF makes in these vans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.