Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer picking up parts for my civic when I started chatting with the service manager...i've known him for years and talk with him often.

he asked how the Ody was and I told him it was great aside from a light 'clunking' when you put it in gear....only when cold and only once in a blue moon. he said to bring it in for a look....some Ody's they were swapping tranny's out of for this issue. they are putting new tranny's in.

i called and set up an appointment to diagnose, then got a call saying they were just going to put the tranny in for the hell of it, bad or not.

i just got it back, new tranny, rear sliding door seals, and new reverse bulb....the thing is awesome! tranny is great now. no hesitation on downshifts...feels MUCH faster!!!

if your still under warranty, ask the dealer about it if you are noticing any trouble. my Ody was a 2000.

------------------
Owner:
1991 Civic Si, Intercooled turbo DOHC ZC visit @: <A HREF="http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000" TARGET=_blank>http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000</A> Odyssey LX, working on lots of mods visit @: <A HREF="http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991" TARGET=_blank>http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991</A> Civic Hatch (basemodel) winter car, bolt on mods. visit @: http:/trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is 99 EX. I found very minute leaking of tranny oil last summer. When I took it in for service, I told them about it. After a check of the tranny, they decided to replace it. That was last September. However, my Odyssey still gives "clunking" noise every now and then (but only on sloppy parking (I live up in the hills.) when it is put in gear (either forward or reverse). We will have a service (3 years and less than 36K miles) up coming and would like them check it again before the 3 year warranty expires. Any suggestion on this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Since you mention the "clunk" happening when you park on hills, I must assume that you are parking it with it bearing on the park pawl in the transmission. When you put the transmission into the park position, there is a pawl (a finger which makes a positive engagement in the transmission) which locks the transmission. If you park and depend only on the transmission's park lock to hold the car, you take a chance of ultimately damaging the transmission. You should NEVER depend only upon the park feature to hold your van, even on level ground, since someone might bump your van while parking and damage the transmission. The best way to park is to apply the parking brake and take you foot off the service brake, thus letting the car settle against the parking brake (especially important on hills or sloping driveways). Then, with you foot off the brake, put the transmission into park. When done that way, the weight of the car is not bearing upon the park pawl and the transmission will not "clunk" (unless there is some other internal problem) when you pull it out of park into gear.

I hope this is helpful. You should teach all your drivers to observe this fussy little exercise and your enjoyment quotient will rise, guaranteed.......

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Tricked, does your rebuilt transmission have a filter installed in the cooler line? I have read that this new filter is added on when a rebuilt transmission is installed. Look under the hood or in the lower grille area.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sinbad,

i know that your question was directed to Tricked, but I thought I'll look at my trans line. (Had a replacement/swap at 965 miles under S/B 90-014). The answer is no, I do not see any filters of the sort, the closest thing to a thick cylinder item is where the line mounts to the chassis on its way back to the tranny (forward of the tranny, aft of the radiator).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting suggestions. I have to admit that we (my wife especially) don't pay these kinds of detailed attention. Having said that, we know that we never let the park pawl (parking pawl is new term for me!) be used as brakes for sure but not as your suggested procedure though. I definitely manage to alter our behaviour. We'll see.

Thank you very much.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
... this fussy little exercise and your enjoyment quotient will rise, guaranteed.......

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX
</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
When mine 99 EX tranny was replaced, my invoice shown with the tranny oil cooler charge under warranty. I did not know how to check it until 3 months ago before we went to the dealer for a recall. I couldn't see it under the grill so I asked the service personel about it and he said "hoolah, hoolah... these days, the things go places I don't know, blah, blah..." IOW, I still have no F-clue as where or if the cooler was ever installed. By book though, it should be in the place as you said.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
... new filter is added on when a rebuilt transmission is installed. Look under the hood or in the lower grille area.</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts