Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that was easy, I guess.....

I had noticed a vibration over the last few months when the ECO system was turning on and off....it was progressively getting worse.
It was getting to the point where I started to hate driving my van.

Specifically, when the ECO light came on, if I then feathered the gas pedal a bit to slightly accelerate, as the ECO light kicked off, I would get a vibration....the steering wheel didn't vibrate, it kinda felt like when you upshift on a stick to soon.....that's the best way I can dsceribe it.
If I kinda held the accelerator at that point, the vibration would continue. If I gave it some more gas, the vibration would stop. Or, if I took my foot off the gas, the vibration would stop.

So, I took it in to my dealership for an oil change the other weekend.
I took a drive with a Tech and showed him what I was talking about.
He heard and felt the vibration and said he thought it may be the Torque Converter.....he said it's not engaging/disnegaging properly.
I asked him about the motor mounts. He said he checked them and they looked fine.
We went back to the dealership after the ride and the Service Advisor said they would contact Honda Tech to see how to proceed.
About a week later, I call the Service Advisor and....bang!...Honda instructed them to install a new Tranny and Torque Converter.

Thank god I bought a certified Odyssey.....

So......I have a just a couple questions:

1. Does anyone know if the new transmission and torque converter they will install is an IMPROVED version of the old one, that doesn't have the faults of the original? OR am I doomed to repeat another Tranny/TC failure in about 40k miles or so?

2. For those that are more knowledgable about this (I am no mechanic, amatuer or otherwise), is there anything I shoud be aware of when having this work done? Anything else I should insist on Honda doing/inspecting/replacing?

The current mileage on the van is about 38k miles.
According to the service records of the dealer I bought the van from, the Transmission Fluid was serviced at about 25k.

I know there are a number of threads on this forum dedicated to this Honda transmission issue... I've skimmed over some of them in the past, but now that I am in the same boat, I plan on reading them more throroughly.

thanks for the help.
I will update my post as time goes on.....
mm

·
Registered
11 Posts
My sister has similar issue, it started happening after Honda dealer did an computer update on her 2008 Odyssey.

Now they are saying there is no original factory program to go back to.
Grrrrr!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE....

Well, I thought I was all set in getting a new transmission and torque converter for my 2008 Odyssey EX-L....
I had been playing phone tag with the service advisor at the dealership (Danbury Honda in Danbury , CT) for a couple weeks.
Got him on the phone the other day....He stated that Honda hadn't released the parts yet. He sorta of implied they were on backorder. So, I said ok, no problem, I'll wait to hear from you.

Fast forward a few days, I stop by the dealership and speak to the advisor.
The advisor says Honda still hasn't released the parts yet. He said he thinks Honda may be trying to decide now to replace just the torque converter and not both the TC and Transmission, mainly because the vehicle has low mileage (less than 40k miles), Honda may be thinking there should not be any damage to the transmission.

UGH.

So now I wait to see what happens next.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Like I said, I am not a mechanic, so I really dont know what SHOULD be done....
Is it a good idea to do just the TC? Or should both the TC and tranny be replaced?

Thank you.
mm

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I believe the typical fix for this issue on a 2007+ would be to just replace the torque converter. I'm not sure if they have access to the internal filter when they do this swap out, but I'd think a filter and full fluid change would be important too.

Regardless, if they just give you a new TC, see what they'll do in regards to an extended warranty for the transmission.

Joel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally received the verdict from my Honda dealer.

Only the torque Converter will be replaced. I am a little disappointed, since the initial "promise" was to replace both the tranny and TC.
The rationale from the service advisor was that Honda believes that because the mileage is low enough (approximately 40k miles) on the vehicle that there has not been any damage to the transmission. So, therefore, only replace the TC.

The car is going in this Friday so I will update the board after it's done.

A few thoughts:

1. I am going to insist/confirm that the transmission will get all new fluid and a new filter.

2. I am going to inquire about how this effects my warranty. This vehicle is CERTIFIED, so currently I am covered under the CERTIFED warranty program, which I believe is 100k mile Powertrain.

3. I am going to inquire if it is a NEWER VERSION of the Torque Converter...Does anyone know? I am really hoping that I am not replacing the TC at the next 40k miles.

4. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks to Joel for the tips....

Thanks.
mm

·
Registered
419 Posts
It kinda sucks when someone else is paying the bill, that it usually on their terms.

As for certified, it should be 12K over 36 for bumper to bumper so, 48K and 100K for drivetrain. For the TC, I would expect them to give you a full 3/36 from date of install..

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new Torque Converter installtion is complete @39,500 miles on 12/15/2011.

Much inmproved. Vibration is almost gone.
I told the Service Advisor that I want him to take a test drive with me next week to tell me if the slight vibrations that I feel when the VCM kicks in/out is normal operation.
I don't think the VCM system will ever becompletely seamless or unoticeable (at least what I've read on these forums), especially to folks like me who are really in tune to every noise/sound their car makes.
I wish I could drive a brand new 2008 off the lot to know what it felt like brand new.....but oh well.

As far as the warranty, the vehicle is Honda Certified.
The powertrain warranty will run to 100k miles or 5/12/2015.
The bumper-to-bumper warranty will run to 48k or 5/12/2012.
So, even if they give me a new 3yr/36k mile warranty on the new Torque Converter, it will still fall within the Certified powertrain warranty time frame.

mm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Well after the TC was installed I took it for another ride....
Now I seem to be getting a vibration at cruising spped...around 60-70mph. With the RPMs around 2000-2100.
It seems to happen when I am approaching cruising speed of say 65 mph....you start to feel as if the car starts to ride rough....simialr to rumble strips (without the noise).
The vibration happens even sometimes as I am still slightly accelerating.
I dont recall having this vibration prior to the TC replacement.

The Shop foreman took a test drive with me. He confirmed that he felt the vibration as well.
He also mentioned that he had another Odyssey (not sure of age, mileage, etc) in the shop with a similar issue but the vibration is worse than mine.
We swapped the wheels and tires off my van for another. Noise/vibration still present. So, we know it is not a blance or rim issue.
They disconnected the VTECH system. Noise/vibration still present. So, they said it is not a VCM issue.

The Shop Foreman (a Master Honda Tech) said he had been in contact with Honda Tech in regards to other van with the issue....apparently giving them computer snapshots to inspect.
The long and short of it is.....at this point, they don't know what the vibration is.

They said it was not motor mounts. They said there is no bulge on the mount, so they are good.
I'm not really convinced they inspected the mounts completely...but what do I know.

The Service Advisor informed me that he will be informing the Dealership Service Manager and they will be contacting the local Honda Rep for guidance or resolution.

Needless to say I am friggin' frustrated.

I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar vibration issue after a new TC was installed.
I know there is ine other thread here started by DarkNemesis who is also having a new vibration issue (albeit at slower speeds than mine) since the new TC went in.
I may start a new thread to see if anyone has.....

thanks.
mm

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Certainly sounds like the torque converter judders all over again that others have experienced.

Did they reflash the PCM with the TC replacement?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am having the same exact problem on my 08 ex-l. I am also going to bring it in tomorrow to Danbury Honda. It has been happening for a couple of months with 40k miles on it now.
I can't believe I missed this thread. I brought it in a couple of weeks ago to get the axle seals replaced but didn't have time to leave it longer for this problem. It is driving me crazy.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone
Scott

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Certainly sounds like the torque converter judders all over again that others have experienced.

Did they reflash the PCM with the TC replacement?

I believe they said they did an update to the PCM.....

Is that different than a reflash?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am having the same exact problem on my 08 ex-l. I am also going to bring it in tomorrow to Danbury Honda. It has been happening for a couple of months with 40k miles on it now.
I can't believe I missed this thread. I brought it in a couple of weeks ago to get the axle seals replaced but didn't have time to leave it longer for this problem. It is driving me crazy.

Scott
I didnt buy my Ody there, but I've been using Danbury Honda for service for convenience sake.

Best of luck to you, Scott....I will keep this thread updated....thanks in advance if you could do the same.
Hopefully, a soultion will be found....hopefully.
My wife and I love the van...but somethings gotta give.

Thanks.
mm

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update: Brought in today and they performed the second transmission software update. It is a LITTLE smoother but the vibration is still there. I asked the technician to drive it on the hiway since that is when it is most noticeable. He came back and said he did not notice anything. I asked him if he drove on the hiway and he said no. Doesn't surprise me. Anyway, the second update is a failure and I will bring it back in soon for the same problem.

Scott

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update: Brought in today and they performed the second transmission software update. It is a LITTLE smoother but the vibration is still there. I asked the technician to drive it on the hiway since that is when it is most noticeable. He came back and said he did not notice anything. I asked him if he drove on the hiway and he said no. Doesn't surprise me. Anyway, the second update is a failure and I will bring it back in soon for the same problem.

Scott
Second update:

Brought it back today and drove on the hiway with a technician in the passenger seat.
To sum it up, they are going to replace the torque converter. I am happier now, but we will see how this one will hold up.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been experiencing a similar issue with my 2008 EXL-RES. I tend to drive it very soft footed and in the past this didn't seem to cause any notiecable issues. A few weeks back (at 60,000 miles naturally) on a longer trip I noticed that the vibration when the TC locked up was much more noticeable than in the past.

I don't check my fuel economy on every re-fuel, but noticed that I am getting around 17 mpg in mixed driving conditions. Granted it is winter, but I have the vehicle in a heated garage and do not warm it up for an extended period.

I could re-create this issue at 27-31 mph, and again around 42-47 mph. The vibration didn't change with the ECO on or off. I also noticed on a longer trip with some rolling hills (70 Mph) that the steering wheel would shake slightly while climbing the hills only to smooth out on the straight and downhill sections of the road. In addition to the shake of the wheel, there was a low pitch groan from the front of the vehicle.
I am on my third power steering pump and reservoir (third one replaced just yesterday (1-30-2012) and had the TC replaced at 26,000 miles along with a programming update (that failed, will touch on that later).

The service department recommended that I have the transmission flushed, so I did that. They also recommended that I have the tires road force balanced, so I did that.

The dealer did a procedure that I have not seen listed on this forum yet. They said that when I had the first TC replaced, the steering shaft was removed to gain access to the transmission and TC. When this is put back together, the technician is supposed to re-pack the shaft. The dealer performed this yesterday and it made a huge improvement in the steering feedback. The wheel feels tight, like it did when new.

Fast forward to today. The steering feels good, but there is still a slight vibration and the groan is still present. Now, the re-programing that was performed back at 26,000 miles did not take. This was checked last week when I had the transmission flushed. The dealer updated the programing (and I feel it is worse).

I think the TC is bad again (due to the programming not being updated correctly at 26,000 miles).

I am now at 62,000 miles and have had to negotiate warranty coverage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just recently had my tc replaced and still notice a vibration starting at 60mph. They did not replace the motor mounts. Let me know if you get your motor mount replaced. Going in next week to have them look at it again. Service manager mentioned something could be wrong with tires themselves (goodyear assurance). He checked the balanace on them during tc replacement but they were perfect. The tires only have 5,000 miles on them. After reading all the threads I am guessing it is the motor mount? Let me know what you find out "MRMICHAELJMOORE."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alright just got my ody back and the vibration in the floor was coming from a bad pass. Side rear tire. The tire only had 7800 miles on it. Goodyear assurance fuel max. I would not recommend the tires because they are hard to balance and noisy

·
Registered
288 Posts
Alright just got my ody back and the vibration in the floor was coming from a bad pass. Side rear tire. The tire only had 7800 miles on it. Goodyear assurance fuel max. I would not recommend the tires because they are hard to balance and noisy
Slightly off topic-but that is the WORST tire Goodyear offers for the Ody-If you can, see if the retailer will let you trade them in for either the Assurance ComforTred Touring or Assurance TripleTred All-Season. Do a search on those two on the forum and you will see that others like them for different reasons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
if someone was to change their torque converter and trans filter, would you get it done at the Dealership or an independent transmission shop knowing that there is a class action lawsuit coming? and is there a warranty for the work done via the dealer? just curious as i am planing on getting this job done soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: still having vibration issues at various speeds between 55 and 75. When going down a grade the wheel smooths right out.

I need some feedback from anyone else on a few of things I have discovered:

1. With the van in the garage where it is level and quiet, I am getting a "loose hub" type feel if I move in and out the front left (driver side) tire. I put one hand at 9 and the other at 3 with my fingers digging into the first layer of treads for a good hold. This is only on the left side. Right side is tight.

2. With the vehicle in park and the hood up, I leaned over with my head just above the transmission and rocked the van by pushing my body weight (knees pressing on the bumper) and heard what sounds like an extra click when the car bounces against the "park" gear. This may be normal, but might not.

3. On the rear engine mount, the bag feels good with what appears to be no tears, however on the front side of the mount there is evidence that the hard rubber had been against the aluminum mount. I am not sure of this is normal or if the mount is collapsing and the engine bracket is riding on the small rubber "safety" pad frequently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts