Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of progressively louder whining from the transmission, a dealer has diagnosed the problem as the 'carrier' in the transmission. Recommends a new tranmission. A new ECU was also recommended and is required to get a 3 year warranty. The total bill would come to about $4500 and that includes a rebuilt transmission and a new ECU. Is that a reasonable cost? Is a new ECU really required (it costs $900 by itself).

Note that I have a case going with Honda in order to try to get them to pay for part of this.

Thanks.

Tom
2002 Odyssey EX-L

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can get a better rebuilt transmission replacement from jasper for over 1 grand less than that. Plus, the dealer doesn't even do the repair, they send it out to a local shop to do the same thing for less than what you paid them to do it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
That's pretty much exactly what my dealer quoted me back in August.

Is the new ECU necessary? Honda says so, and that's all that matters. If you're going to get it from Honda, you're going to get a new ECU, period.

According to my dealer, the only way you'll get a unit from Honda is if they're paying part of the freight. If it's 100% customer pay, Honda won't sell the dealer the transmission.

Based on my less than satisfactory experience at what has otherwise been (for 25 years) a stellar dealership service department, I would recommend you call American Honda directly and open a case with them. I did not; I stuck with my dealer, and their route--through their zone rep--was less than satisfactory for me. I got only 50% accommodation from Honda. I suspect the zone guy is paid based on how well he fends these things off. Previously, American Honda was very liberal with fixing their screwups; now, according to everyone I've spoken with, they've swung overly miserly in their goodwill accommodations. Too miserly.

But I've seen some stories here where going directly to American Honda and opening a case got better results than my going through my otherwise (or previously) stellar dealer.

The dealership does the swap, and mine with with absolutely no hassle whatsoever.

See my previous posting here on the subject. Honda has lost my business completely, from here on out. They took a 25 year relationship that got them a bunch of sales and got their dealer's service department a bunch of business, and chose to act in such a way as to dump it completely down the toilet. Their handling of the five speed transmission issue has turned them into nothing more than what GM and Ford were at their worst.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've already opened up a case with Honda directly. I waited for what the dealer + Honda were going to offer, and that is 10% right now. I will contact Honda directly to try to do better.

One follow-up... if I get the transmission replaced at an independent shop, will they also be able to upgrade the ECU or would only going through Honda enable that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
tff said:
Thanks. I've already opened up a case with Honda directly. I waited for what the dealer + Honda were going to offer, and that is 10% right now. I will contact Honda directly to try to do better.

One follow-up... if I get the transmission replaced at an independent shop, will they also be able to upgrade the ECU or would only going through Honda enable that?

Thanks.
ECU replacement isn't necessary and has nothing to do with your transmission failure. The Jasper comes with the necessary things like a very good transmission cooler and it's better than most indy rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
HONDA's replacement requires a new ECU.

Third parties do what third parties do.

Different people, different solutions to the problem.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
And by the way, see the thread I started on this issue recently. Two things:

* Honda accommodated me 50% (should have been 100%; they should be falling on their sword for loyal customers like me)

* my gas mileage appears to have improved with the new unit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts