Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Ody that we bought with 2400KM on it from the dealer - it was a demo model.

Everything has been mostly fine except that the two driver side tires have developed strange bubbles that have in turn broken on the side walls.

Honda Canada says the tires are not covered under the Honda warranty, Michelin says it's not a safety issue and won't replace the tires (at least that is what the dealer is telling me).

I'm fairly unhappy with the fact that my brand new car has a problem like this. I bought brand new for a reason.

Has anyone had to deal with something like this before? Am I being unreasonable?

I'm not really sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What dealer did you buy this from? Surprised they didn't help you out. Either way, you should contact Michelin directly and let them know.

I have the same tires on our 2007 and none of them are like that with 60k on them. Will replace them soon with Toyo Versado LX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car at Carter Honda downtown.

They did say they had the tire rep look at the tires but I need a second opinion from someone I can trust.

I'll be talking to a friend of a friend at Kal tire today who is a Michelin dealer and should be able to help me hopefully.

Not too happy with the fact that I even have to deal with this with a new car...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hmm, another "Honda should pay" post on OdyClub.com, who would foresee it? LOL.

" I bought brand new for a reason."
Friend, your car may not have been previously sold at retail or even registered for use/licensed so it was still sold as "new", but you knew that it had 2400 demo kms. It did not sit on the lot wrapped up and waiting for you since the day Honda built it. You saved money for that use, too, I bet or you would have insisted upon getting the one showing 10 kms instead for the same exact money. It's used, only ever so slightly, but it's not truly new.

At some time maybe those tires hit a pothole or experienced some other unusually sharp, harsh impact and that caused the sidewalls to bubble, to internally separate. It's not uncommon. Many folks lose tires and wheels from such wholly unexpected impacts, as did I one time here in MI. The bubbles may have been there or started to show before you bought and you might not have noticed. Maybe they were little and got worse since you took the van. OR, maybe the van simply went through a bad car wash and the rack cut the sidewalls. In any case, this type of damage is not Honda's or Michelin's fault. The dealer could pony up, not Honda, since the dealer or a customer test drive damaged the tires -- but how do they know that you did not do it if you did not point it out prior to taking delivery? See that point? Maybe you compromise on some value, maybe the dealer swaps tires on another van? Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
homer's van said:
Hmm, another "Honda should pay" post on OdyClub.com, who would foresee it? LOL.

" I bought brand new for a reason."
Friend, your car may not have been previously sold at retail or even registered for use/licensed so it was still sold as "new", but you knew that it had 2400 demo kms. It did not sit on the lot wrapped up and waiting for you since the day Honda built it. You saved money for that use, too, I bet or you would have insisted upon getting the one showing 10 kms instead for the same exact money. It's used, only ever so slightly, but it's not truly new.

At some time maybe those tires hit a pothole or experienced some other unusually sharp, harsh impact and that caused the sidewalls to bubble, to internally separate. It's not uncommon. Many folks lose tires and wheels from such wholly unexpected impacts, as did I one time here in MI. The bubbles may have been there or started to show before you bought and you might not have noticed. Maybe they were little and got worse since you took the van. OR, maybe the van simply went through a bad car wash and the rack cut the sidewalls. In any case, this type of damage is not Honda's or Michelin's fault. The dealer could pony up, not Honda, since the dealer or a customer test drive damaged the tires -- but how do they know that you did not do it if you did not point it out prior to taking delivery? See that point? Maybe you compromise on some value, maybe the dealer swaps tires on another van? Good luck.
Um, thanks?

Tires are warrantied by Michelin, not Honda. I understand that. I am not asking Honda to pay, only for them to help me.

The dealer admitted to me that it was not damage to the tire, it was a defect.

I asked if I was being unreasonable, you could have answered that nicely.

Anyway, hope you feel better now that you gave a stranger a hard time on the internet.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Even with 2400 KM on the odometer bubbles should not occur with the tires. I think Honda should at least help you with the warranty from Michellin.

·
Registered
346 Posts
YOU are not being unreasonable, just maybe naive. Car dealers aren't our friends, they're simply complex businesses. The dealer has your money, you have the car. It's really between you and Michelin, particularly if you know it's a defect. Dealer has little clout there. Kal Tire that you mentioned has more. You're on the right track, and you even said so before my flippant post so I figured you needed no confirmation to that effect.

It's so many silly posters here who believe that Honda should pay for every little thing, and often after many, many miles, about whom I jest in the opening line, not you personally.

Finally you did not buy new. Sorry if my clarifying that sits poorly with you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The tires arent flawed. Those are air bubbles from the molding process that were on the surface. Very poor those got through Q/A, but there isnt anything "wrong" with them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's interesting insight. Looks like that, nothing like the bubbles of sidewall separation that I described from pothole type impacts (typed before the OP's photos loaded on my screen, in fact).

·
Registered
11 Posts
ibuyufo said:
Even with 2400 KM on the odometer bubbles should not occur with the tires. I think Honda should at least help you with the warranty from Michellin.
Exactly. Try calling Honda Canada and explain the situation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
while odd looking, I don't think they are unsafe or anything. Appears air got trapped in the molding processand under PSI of running them mounted they popped bubbles. If you get a second opinion they are good don't worry about it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I agree it's not a safety issue, but still not nice on an otherwise new van. Maybe the dealer would reverse the tire so at least you wouldn't have to look at the bubbles. Dismounting the tire would also give you a chance to check the inside of the tire for any related issues. Continue to get other first-hand opinions though.

Another thought - check the dates of manufacture on the two affected tires. (It's the last four digits of the DOT number.) If they are different, this happened after the tire was made. However, I think it's a manufacturing defect that got past QA.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts